Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reproduction WWII Crusher Caps

1942wannabe

New in Town
Hi, I am new to this forum so if I'm posting this where it's not supposed to be, I apologize.

I have been fascinated with WWII headgear for years, and have a decent collection of service caps. I am one of those reenactors though who has evolved to the point where I am paranoid about wearing my original service caps "out on the town" anymore. This is because I once went to a swing dance wearing a mint service cap, and when I left I discovered to my horror it was pouring rain outside. My nice wool service cap got drenched on the way to the car and shrunk.

Ever since I have been almost anal about my caps. I have discovered, however, that there are few decent reproductions out there to be had, especially the enlisted caps. Very few are "crushable" and fewer still have double stitching (as is found on some of the higher quality originals). I also think one of the problems with the reproductions is that the pattern is off, maybe because some of them look like they are patterned after a more modern design. So I decided to reproduce my own.

I had a ratty service cap, so I carefully disected it and made a pattern. After about 12 man hours of improving the pattern, it's finally finished. The original I copied was a private purchase cap, made of cotton twill, with no lining (as is common among summer service caps). It was also very crushable, since it had a leather frame instead of the wicker basket weave frames (you see these the most on USN, USMC, and post-war caps). Some of the photos were taken before the chinstraps were finished, so I realize it is missing in some photos. The final photo is a comparison of the reproduction (left) and an original (right).

I'd like to get some feedback. If enough folks are interested, I was going to make several up to sell. Price will be about $110. I will make them in khaki and olive drab serge for enlisted, and khaki, olive drab elastique, and pink elastique for officers. Any thoughts? I am open to constructive criticism.

34130128.jpg

77863369.jpg

50810494.jpg

71817329.jpg

29926767.jpg

imagewzm.jpg

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good looking work - great talent! Have you considered "rebuilding" and/or repairing originals that need work as well? I see some great caps for sale on occasion that just need some repairs to bring them back to perfection. -dixon cannon

Case in point:
CaseInPoint_zps62b8ff17.jpg

Last edited:

1942wannabe

New in Town
Just an FYI, I am planning on putting up a website in the near future to exhibit a few of my caps, projects in the works, and original caps and photos for comparison. Until I do, I appreciate the feedback and kind words here.

Michael719

New in Town
Nice work. do you know the oz cotton weight that you used?
Just curious, I make pants and weight of fabric always interests me.

Some weights are determined by 36" x 36" yard
some by roll width of fabric like 70" x 36"

just curious , makes a difference
Anyway, lighter weight will breath better and cause the head not to sweat as much
important for hats as the body loses 50% of its heat through the head and consequently
heat is retained by hats as well , which can make hotter climates uncomfortable

Michael719

New in Town
7 oz is pretty light weight and breathes well

as you get into the 10 oz and up , think Carhartt stiff it can get less comfortable.

also the tightness of the weave def has something to do with retaining heat and breathability

1942wannabe

New in Town
7 oz is pretty light weight and breathes well

as you get into the 10 oz and up , think Carhartt stiff it can get less comfortable.

also the tightness of the weave def has something to do with retaining heat and breathability

Originals were made with 8.2 oz cotton twill and I use 8 oz. Pretty much identical in every aspect.

Edward

Bartender
Looks great. I can't honestly comment on accuracy - I'm not an expert - but I've been keeping an eye out for a nice but inexpensive repro for some time. My intention is to wear 'em unbadged, as a civilian cap (sort of an alternative to a Brando hat...). Do please put a link up here when you come to be selling them (both variations).

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Yup !
Ill go for a Brown Whipcord fabric civilian model ! 22 /58'' LO
Keep us informed Please !

If you do decide to add a Varity it your original project.:cool:

Last edited:

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Yup as GT states no front eyelet, but you can leave em on the sides
& i do have some pics of mine somewhere here, forgot which thread

my pal had a nice vintage version i like