Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Resizing polypropylene Akubra Capricorn?

ninjabathy

New in Town
Hi everyone! I've just been on a hat buying spree and bought a couple of Akubras, a polypropylene Capricorn being in there along with another FedIVdeluxe (this time in Moonstone). I got my first Fed from hatsdirect and used their nearest-size measurement technique to round-down to a 56. It fits absolutely bang-on-the-money. When I ordered my Capricorn from Everything Australia though, I asked if there was any less give in the polypropylene material than fur; I guess you can't resize/re-bash etc., and the gentleman ended up advising me to get a size 57 (not 56), which I did.

The hat hasn't arrived yet, so a 57 might be perfect, but I reckon it'll probably sit a little big on the ol' noggin. I'm wondering, could I resize the sweat-band in the traditional flip-up, soak and blow-dry method, or add some tape inside the band, or won't these methods work with polypropylene? What's the best thing to do if it is a little big? Would 1cm really feel that different? I've no idea...

Thanks so much, everyone. I look forward to hearing your replies!

ninjabathy

New in Town
Thanks for that. That's probably what I would do, too, I'm just worried about distorting the "straw" by stuffing things behind the sweat band. The material can't get gappy or tear or something by wedging things between the sweat band and hat at all?

ninjabathy said:
Thanks for that. That's probably what I would do, too, I'm just worried about distorting the "straw" by stuffing things behind the sweat band. The material can't get gappy or tear or something by wedging things between the sweat band and hat at all?
Not so you'd notice it. It would probably show more against a supple sweatband than the outside hat...

ninjabathy

New in Town
Brilliant, that's great to know, thank you. I think I'll do that then unless the hat's absolutely massive when it gets here, in which case I'll just send it back!

Thanks for the advice. James:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany