Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RESOLVED - Identifying RMC J-24 BJ9111 vs BJ21101

Mr. Hide

Familiar Face
Hello to all you wise and discerning J-24 fans!

Reaching out with this inquiry since I haven't found anything specific on this topic.

I recently purchased a J-24 from Lost & Found, a seemingly well reviewed outfit in ON, Canada. The version I intended to acquire was the updated BJ21101 but I suspect I received the previous BJ9111 model based on the tag that reads "BJ9111" and the surprisingly tight fit on me. My question is whether there is any other way to discern the two versions. I've searched all around and even sent a message to RMC direct (no answer yet). The jacket doesn't seem to indicate the version anywhere but I'm hoping there's a keen eye out there who can point out details that may help with identifying.

Thank you all in advance and hoping everyone at TFL is having a warm holiday!

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The main difference is the fit. The newer model doesn't just reverse the severe under-sizing of the previous model; it's a better pattern overall, with improved range of movement and shape. The standard versions of both are made of the same leather.

(It's a shame because the leather I would have wanted was only used on a version of the old model, and I know that's not going to fit.)

58panheadfan

One Too Many
Hello to all you wise and discerning J-24 fans!

Reaching out with this inquiry since I haven't found anything specific on this topic.

I recently purchased a J-24 from Lost & Found, a seemingly well reviewed outfit in ON, Canada. The version I intended to acquire was the updated BJ21101 but I suspect I received the previous BJ9111 model based on the tag that reads "BJ9111" and the surprisingly tight fit on me. My question is whether there is any other way to discern the two versions. I've searched all around and even sent a message to RMC direct (no answer yet). The jacket doesn't seem to indicate the version anywhere but I'm hoping there's a keen eye out there who can point out details that may help with identifying.

Thank you all in advance and hoping everyone at TFL is having a warm holiday!
The BJ21101 model is the successor model to the BJ9111 with an adapted fit. The previous model was narrower, which should indicate that you actually received the BJ9111 model. Lost & Found offers both models. However, what I noticed when looking at the photos on the Lost & Found site the distance between the belt loop and the D-pocket (see photos with a circle). Above is the model BJ21101 and below is the model BJ9111. But I can't say whether it's just a difference in size, which mean smaller size shorter torso and therefore less distance between the belt loop and the d-pocket bag. But I can't actually imagine that, because RMC is known for its accuracy and has therefore certainly taken this distance into account for the different sizes in each model.

After looking at the two different models again, I have seen probably other differences as position of right belt loop and different angel from d-pocket to the zipper (but it could be a photo thing or how the jacket is laid down/flattened).
BJ21101.jpg
BJ9111.jpg

Last edited:

Aloysius

The BJ21101 model is the successor model to the BJ9111 with an adapted fit. The previous model was narrower, which should indicate that you actually received the BJ9111 model. Lost & Found offers both models. However, what I noticed when looking at the photos on the Lost & Found site the distance between the belt loop and the D-pocket (see photos with a circle). Above is the model BJ21101 and below is the model BJ9111. But I can't say whether it's just a difference in size, which mean smaller size shorter torso and therefore less distance between the belt loop and the d-pocket bag. But I can't actually imagine that, because RMC is known for its accuracy and has therefore certainly taken this distance into account for the different sizes in each model.

After looking at the two different models again, I have seen probably other differences as position of right belt loop and different angel from d-pocket to the zipper (but it could be a photo thing or how the jacket is laid down/flattened).
View attachment 567270 View attachment 567271

I may be wrong but I would assume this is due to sizing. You can grade the scale of pocket and lapel sizes across jacket sizes, but the belt loops need to be a standard height because the belt comes in a standard height.

Mr. Hide

Familiar Face
Thank you guys for the details and confirming my suspicion!

@58panheadfan : Holy crap, that's some super sleuthing! Exactly the seemingly minute detail I was hoping someone could point out. I did some digging after seeing what you mentioned about the belt loop distance from the D pocket and it does seem to be consistent on other sites as well. Looking at the one I received, there's definitely a clear gap as opposed to the loop being on top of the bottom stitching.

@Aloysius : Agreed. From everything I've read with the new measurements and dimensions of those modeling the newer BJ21101 I was fairly certain I would fit into a 40 at 5'8" 175 lbs.

You guys are awesome!! Thanks again :)

Mr. Hide

Familiar Face
@Hidenseek Give Lost & Found a call and ask if the distance between beltloop and d-pocket is different but constant each model.
I've already made an email attempt at initiating a return/refund but still waiting to hear back. When I gave them a call, the sales rep just said they have nothing to do with the "online team" and that I should be getting a response. Any experience with them? Mostly positive reviews but the few negatives on google were concerning.

Also, the one received was missing the leather pull on the main front zip. Seems trivial but you bet I'd want the factory foot mat on a 200K car as well!

Mr. Hide

Familiar Face
If yours has a tag that reads bj91111 doesnt that slove the mystery?
Presumably, but the BJ9111 was actually all sold out when I made the order. There was 1 BJ21101 left. I wanted to do my homework before pointing fingers in the event it was just a misplaced tag. Unfortunately, both are now sold out on their site.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
bj9111
bj9111.jpg

bj21101
bj21101.jpg

Also RMC measure their sleeves along the curve, so you've gotta subtract an inch or so to get the straight down measurement.

BJ is short for Buco Jackets... Or...

Mr. Hide

Familiar Face
bj9111
View attachment 567295

bj21101
View attachment 567296

Also RMC measure their sleeves along the curve, so you've gotta subtract an inch or so to get the straight down measurement.

BJ is short for Buco Jackets... Or...
Hey! I appreciate the response but my inquiry was more so to do with identifiers other than size difference. I'm aware of the change in fitment but this is also coming from someone who's never tried one on before. Thank you for posting regardless! I did a ton of research on measurements across various sites prior to making the purchase. The assurance from all of you certainly helps.

Aloysius

I don’t know how or why the TFL trend of saying ‘fitment’ instead of ‘fit’ happened but the two words have very different meanings.

Fitment means ‘fixture’, in the sense of a bathroom pipe or kitchen cabinet.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I was gonna say check the pocket bags. My older R
Hey! I appreciate the response but my inquiry was more so to do with identifiers other than size difference. I'm aware of the change in fitment but this is also coming from someone who's never tried one on before. Thank you for posting regardless! I did a ton of research on measurements across various sites prior to making the purchase. The assurance from all of you certainly helps.
MC Buco jackets had white and khaki color pocket bags, and all the more recent ones all has black pocket bags. But I will assume most recent old fits even the bj9111 will come with black pocket bags too as that’s what I see on aucfan.
anyways, if the paper tag says bj9111 then it’s gonna be the old fit one which is about a size smaller than the new fit. Hope you get it sorted out with the retailer. I’m looking for the black and white one myself.

Mr. Hide

Familiar Face
I don’t know how or why the TFL trend of saying ‘fitment’ instead of ‘fit’ happened but the two words have very different meanings.

Fitment means ‘fixture’, in the sense of a bathroom pipe or kitchen cabinet.
Makes me think of "hung" as opposed to "hanged" which has a dramatically different meaning. Either way, I stand corrected.

Mr. Hide

Familiar Face
I was gonna say check the pocket bags. My older R

MC Buco jackets had white and khaki color pocket bags, and all the more recent ones all has black pocket bags. But I will assume most recent old fits even the bj9111 will come with black pocket bags too as that’s what I see on aucfan.
anyways, if the paper tag says bj9111 then it’s gonna be the old fit one which is about a size smaller than the new fit. Hope you get it sorted out with the retailer. I’m looking for the black and white one myself.
Thanks again for the info. I received a courteous response from the owner and am already in the process of returning. The search continues...

Are you referring to the black and white J-24 here? https://standardandstrange.com/products/buco-j-24-jacket-black-x-white?variant=41614480474285

Observe

One Too Many
RMC CS is trash in my experience (as I just said in a post in another thread), they will refer you to the retailer and provide no additional useful information.

That being said, I bought some boots from L&F last year and had a positive experience, so I suppose your mileage may vary.

Mr. Hide

Familiar Face
Thank you all for your timely responses! While all seems to be resolved for now I am still very curious to hear from MC if there are any tell-tale signs between versions. I suppose I might have better luck hearing from the horse's mouth though lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner