Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Review of the Eastman 'Luftwaffe' jacket, NEW

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
alas jac, not my particular car...mines quite a bit rougher...like something out of mad max...but you are correctimundo about mechanix...mine is a certified nissan mechanic who left the dealers and now has his own garage...he tells me such specifix as to which gas works best, or perhaps only, for this particular vintage z car (chevron, techroline is real, it keeps this engine clean...and i've tested it, he's right...who woulda thunkit?!)

oh, yeah, the horsewaffe...wearing it everychance i get...conforming to my body now like a second skin...the jacket was phenomenal to begin with, but the character of horse, and especially the one used on this jacket, enhances how the jacket wraps around one, yielding to conform to your body where needed, and become superbly comfortable...it was amazingly tailored to begin with, but the finishing touch seems to be how the leather is like 'smart' leather, ending up perfectly conformed the more you wear it, or shall i say molded...

and i don't have to use techroline in it

jac

Familiar Face
horsewaffe lol

Too funny!
I loved my Z, but it's a western thing...
You've got to have something that won't get eaten by the potholes here too.
Much easier getting around in the BMR.

Had to go out Saturday for hours and shovel out a long path during our bad storm. Power went out for 17 hrs. Wore my Legendary HH BS & it kept me sooo toasty. I didn't realize till I came in & had some coffee that my butt had turned to ice!

Horse rules!

Johnnynotoes

Familiar Face
Tony Toeless! Greetings from the original...the one...the only,[well once only]...NOTOES!! Hey JohnnyJohny...grails are difficult to find congrats again! Happy holidays and luck in the new year to all... J

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
i love you guys, mannn

geee, thanks for all the nice comments, a lot of warmth coming from the lounge here : D

P5640blouson...ya know, this jacket is warm enough to do fine in the cutting wind weather that just came up today, and i know U know what i mean...howevah, i don't think i'll wear my luftpony in der rainen, tho i know she can take it so wouldn't be horrified if i got caught with her thusly...but, as i've said before, no meat tenderizing mallets, no 1968 maytags, and no buckets with hot soapy water...all stuff i've read here from very esteemed but different thinking members regarding crimes they've committed against aero's

deanglen...backatya

jac...i guess since you didn't want to trash your z car in tuff conditions you're slumming in your beeeeeeeemer...things are tough on neptune

and notoes brothers...t: happy to run off at the mouth, or keyboard, about this jacket because, as your bro j. says, it truly is the holy grail of jackets pour moi...i do hang it up, when not wearing, near my computer work space as a piece of art, which it indeed is, and just enjoy it...since getting it the manic craze to buy another jacket has subsided, and i spend my time wearing it, but still appreciating all the other stuff...i think when i get another jacket it shall be the aero route 66, which is so much of this luftwaffe jacket heritage...but that'll be without the obsessive/compulsive must haveness that entailed finally, finally, getting this piece. again, i do thank gary eastman and his henchman rob for their amazing and extremely courteous customer service, speedy dispatch, marvelously delightful packing and inclusions (a wholly entertaining and informative cd on ww2 jackets, fliers, and eastman as well)...and, of course, in bringing history to life in this enduring piece

merry Christmas and holidays to everyone

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Updates

Hey Johnny, thanks for the updates on how your jacket is faring in the real world! I like to hang my new jackets where I can gaze upon their beauty to! Most people probably wouldn't get it. My first four wheel vehicle was a 71 240Z. I came to four wheels late in life 21, up tell then two worked just fine even in the snow! Yes it was a women, no, I have neither the women nor the 240Z! But, unlike most of my buddies back then, I still have motorcycles! Keep updating us, this is a great thread!

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
and on it goesss...

thanks stearman for your encouragement to keep writing on this jacket until everyone on the forum is truly sick and wretching from reading this thread...however, i need no encouragement

the soft buttery horseleather is beautifully giving a bit and conforming to my shape and movements, and i'm loving having the jacket on every chance i get...don't know if i'll ever wear any of the other stuff i now have

oddly i've been getting compliments on the jacket from people i know, and never in my life have they complimented my clothes...and i had worn very nice a-2s around them...i in fact had to force compliments out of them re the a-2s, and often it would be, 'isn't that the same jacket you had on last time?" when in fact i was showing off a new a-2

even odder, the two ladies who complimented me this last week were jewish, and one was an old school very conservative (about her heritage) person verging on the 'i don't buy mercedes or anything german' persuasion...while i told her it was the jacket used by the luftwaffe, i gave the prehistory that they had taken it from the french, who had designed it as a motorcycle jacket

decided tonight to make my jacket a bit uncomfortable and wore it to see 'inglorious basterds'

it made it through the film unscathed, even tho in the flick the head of the ww2 luftwaffe, hermann goering, gets charred like a roasted pig in a theatre (sorry if some of you haven't seen it)...whilst the jacket is historical, the movie was not, but still horribly enjoyable

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
Wet yesterday

Did your waffe jacket get wet yesterday? You may
We'll I've been through the rain yesterday in my Lewis Leathers Sportsman. Being a bonafide utility jacket, it looks at rain like nothing. Dried quickly too?

Peacoat

Bartender
P5640blouson said:
Did your waffe jacket get wet yesterday? You may
We'll I've been through the rain yesterday in my Lewis Leathers Sportsman. Being a bonafide utility jacket, it looks at rain like nothing. Dried quickly too?

I would be willing to bet that Johnny Squared's Waffe didn't even notice the rain.

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
Horse

His fine horsehide can probably take the wet perfectly fine, but I bet he avoided the drizzle yesterday...more than likely removed from garment bag and put his jacket on after he got into the theatre, or something like that.lol

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Luftwaffe

I think that is the great thing about the Luftwaffe jacket, 99.99999% of the people in the world wouldn't no one if it bit them on the a**! But it will be great when you finally run into some one that does know!

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
veggie tan

hi all...been enjoying my eastman...in fact it's become the only jacket i've been wearing...may have to get rid of everything else except the military jackets, like a-2s and g-1s, as i simply cannot see wearing anything else but this piece

as for a few answers to questions...

legume jacket...you are correct sir, my ponywaffer didn't notice the rain as on the day i went to a screening, the rain had the good sense to let up for

and no mr. blouson...i let my jacket's fate to the wind, to quote the title of a great vince guaraldi song (i being one of the few who couldn't get enough of guaraldi this Christmas)...i wore lufthorse out, and it simply didn't rain...i think the jacket was more frightened during the screening of 'inglorious basterds' than of any rain in LaLaLand...tarantino, much more frightening than a few clouds

as for the tanning, i recall prior to purchase that the eastman copy said it was done according to tanning methods in that day, being veggie tan

stearpersons...i keep racking up the compliments on the jacket...seems everyone i go somewhere with makes a positive remark about it...that's 3 for 4 now...and the fourth was an actor worried about his unemployment extension kicking in, so he was a bit sidetracked

as for running into someone who really does know what this jacket is...i don't think anyone but who's on this forum or who collects them, and those who make them, really would know...except, of course, for the pilots who wore them, or the pilots who flew against them...and their ranks are getting thin these days

i just hope i'm not in the kingshead pub in santa monica one of these days and some old limey ww2 pilot comes up, pulls out his old s&w 'k' frame service revolver, and let's me have it

hpalapdog

One of the Regulars
Smithy said:
A small piece of trivia here, the SS uniform was the handy work of non other than Hugo Boss. I actually know a few people back in Norway who won't buy anything Hugo Boss for this very reason.

Virtually all German garment makes were involved in military contacts including Boss however, Dr Karl Diebitsch was the designer of the SS gear. Walter Heck did the graphics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Diebitsch

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot