Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ribbon source

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Now, I assume that is with the ribbon already made into a bow and all you have to do is stitch it on? Or is it just raw ribbon?

Yeah, for 30 bucks it ought to come with a zipper.

Good Petersham isn't cheap, and you won't find it at ***-mart, but it's worth looking for. Try quilt shops or other fabric stores that cater to crafters.
Like us, they tend to be ribbon snobs.
When you've tried to replace a vintage hat ribbon with the cheap stuff and then get ahold of some real Petersham, you will be amazed at the difference.
In most good quilt shops, you can find different widths and colors, too.

Sam

JimC

New in Town
Thanks all for the replies. So far the only thing I've found in cotton/rayon blend is sawtooth edge, that may be what it has to be.

Another question....I did find some 100% rayon ribbon. The vendor said she sells a lot of it to hatters. Said they like it because it easily shrinks to conform to hat shape..........?? Anybody have experience with rayon ribbon?

OT1899

Familiar Face
Now, I assume that is with the ribbon already made into a bow and all you have to do is stitch it on? Or is it just raw ribbon?

Finished with bow and ready to sew on hat. Was also properly swirled to lay flat on hat given normal taper.

If you're looking for raw ribbon, I recently saw some listed on the well known auction site. It was listed as 50/50 hatters ribbon. Color selection was good and prices for five yards ranged from $15 to $20 depending on width. Hope this helps ...

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
So far the only thing I've found in cotton/rayon blend is sawtooth edge, that may be what it has to be.

Another question....I did find some 100% rayon ribbon. The vendor said she sells a lot of it to hatters. Said they like it because it easily shrinks to conform to hat shape..........?? Anybody have experience with rayon ribbon?

I've never used 100% rayon, but as I understand it, the higher the rayon content, the better. I THINK John Penman told me he's worked with 100% rayon, but don't quote me. You could ask him.

You have one other option, if cornered with that saw-toothed stuff. Todd's Costumes carries an Indy Dark Brown ribbon that has a "bumpy" edge, but not saw-toothed. It's hard to see from a distance that it isn't straight edged. I have a length of it that I didn't end up using, so if you want it I'll sell it to you. Or you can just buy from Todd. However, don't give up the hunt just yet. You may find something.

JimC

New in Town
OT - Yep, I saw that listing also and haven't ruled it out yet. Thanks for the tip.

Not-Bogey, thanks I'll keep that in mind. And I used the term "sawtoothed" but both the 50/50 and 100% rayon I've found is edged pretty nice, bumpy is a better description, not perfectly smooth but from a few feet away you can't tell. However the darker Indy brown might actually work better, I'll take another look at the colors.

Man, this is turnin' into an ordeal !!! I've always worn fedora style straws in summer but more western, gun club type, winter hats. Recently bought a hat on the the bay, nice hat but has a narrow leather band. I figured no big deal, just get some brown millinery ribbon and make a band........little did I know!!! I guess that's part of the fun. If this goes well I might try my luck at a full conversion...........

Last edited:

JimC

New in Town
I've never used 100% rayon, but as I understand it, the higher the rayon content, the better. I THINK John Penman told me he's worked with 100% rayon, but don't quote me. You could ask him.

You have one other option, if cornered with that saw-toothed stuff. Todd's Costumes carries an Indy Dark Brown ribbon that has a "bumpy" edge, but not saw-toothed. It's hard to see from a distance that it isn't straight edged. I have a length of it that I didn't end up using, so if you want it I'll sell it to you. Or you can just buy from Todd. However, don't give up the hunt just yet. You may find something.

I think the dark brown Todd's has is worth a shot, talked to him today and he's sending one to me.

Last edited:

fmw

One Too Many
Source for hat bands

I have a Panama and I want to change the band. I'm looking for a place that sells grosgrain hat bands.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
That's not a simple request. Most modern grosgrain is not good for hat ribbon. I suggest trolling websites that sell vintage grosgrain ribbon. Prepare to spend a lot of time googling and hunting. Also, try the search function here. There have been a few discussions about it in the last year.

CharlieB

A-List Customer
That's not a simple request. Most modern grosgrain is not good for hat ribbon. I suggest trolling websites that sell vintage grosgrain ribbon. Prepare to spend a lot of time googling and hunting. Also, try the search function here. There have been a few discussions about it in the last year.

What is it about modern ribbon that renders it undesirable? Is it the man-made material?

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
What is it about modern ribbon that renders it undesirable? Is it the man-made material?

Well, the man made materials are different now compared to then. The ribbon won't respond to steam or water to conform to the hat's shape.

I contacted them. They told me that their grosgrain was not suitable for outside bands. It's for making inside sweatbands.

OT1899

Familiar Face
There's a guy on eBay who sells 50% cotton/50% rayon hat ribbon, which is what you need for the ribbon to conform to the hat. He usually has two or three sizes listed. If the size you need is not listed, send him a message as he probably has it. Search for "hatter ribbon" and you should find him. Also, Optimo in Chicago will sell replacement ribbon. I've purchased ribbon from both and have been pleased. The Optimo ribbon is ready to attach whereas you will need to make your own bow with the other. Hope this helps.

fmw

One Too Many
Send me your address and I'll send you one:

robert@panamas.biz

Just a quick note of thanks to Panama Bob. He said he'd send me a hat band and he sent a small collection of them. It's January and time to start thinking of Spring. I have a Panama that I simply hated. The reason, I noodled, was the hat band which was small and atrocious. I mounted the largest one that Bob sent and now I like the hat a lot. Here's how it looks now:

stetsonpanama.jpg

stetsonpanama2.jpg

My sincere thanks to Panama Bob, a fellow Hoosier.

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Bob is GREAT folks to deal with ! I have bought 6 Panamas from him and ALL were EXCELENT value for the cost ! That pug band looks good but then a Panama was made for a pugaree hat band IMHO!
Onward thru the fog :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran