Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ridding wrinkles and creases from leather?

Gr8Lakes

Familiar Face
Hoping to get some advise from some of the more experienced leather friends. I snagged this vest off eBay a while back because I kinda dug the 90’s theme embroidery on the back. I was pretty bummed to see how severe the wrinkling was once I received it. If I had to guess, I’d say someone stuffed it in a saddle bag soaking wet and forgot about it for a long time (or something like that). I’ve used a steamer on it, tried ironing it with a wet pillow case between the iron and vest, let it tumble in the dryer with towels for a while, and it’s been hanging in my bathroom where I shower for a couple months. I’ve gotten about 2/3 of the wrinkles out, but it’s been stable for the past month or so. In the meantime, I’ve lost about 50 pounds over the last year (225-175), so it no longer fits me. I want to sell it, but don’t want to pass a problem vest onto someone else - I’m not “that guy.”

Anyone experienced with getting creased wrinkles out of leather? It’s really in great shape aside from wrinkles, and I thought some warm day riding would kinda relax them - but now it’s huge on me, so it won’t see any rides come spring/summer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!
1B033622-A823-43DF-AC63-238B16E9A15C.jpeg
5AAECDE5-4190-4742-A13D-504CE3FAE3FD.jpeg
87712F13-2817-4428-A482-216625B5B482.jpeg
BD900D4D-6FCA-47E9-AA81-BDCC400217D3.jpeg

Acchimp

New in Town
Those looks like stretch spots of stretching/folding. I’ve used a deer bone to smooth out wrinkles/piling up on a shoe/jacket. Not sure that’d help with this vest, but I imagine some leather oils would help along with some friction/heat like a brush or rag to distribute oils and maybe shrink it in a few small spots. I’ve softened some shoulder stretch marks on a Schott this way, but it just made it look more even rather than making it go away.

Gr8Lakes

Familiar Face
Thanks
Those looks like stretch spots of stretching/folding. I’ve used a deer bone to smooth out wrinkles/piling up on a shoe/jacket. Not sure that’d help with this vest, but I imagine some leather oils would help along with some friction/heat like a brush or rag to distribute oils and maybe shrink it in a few small spots. I’ve softened some shoulder stretch marks on a Schott this way, but it just made it look more even rather than making it go away.
Thanks for the suggestion. Now, how do I get my German Shepherd’s deer bone aware from him? Oh wait… I think you’re referring to something different. I believe your right though. There’s some evidence of shrinking and stretching. I’m to the point of letting it soak in the tub, then allowing it to dry slowly after trying to reshape it. What can it hurt at this point?

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Did you try to condition it? I would condition it and while still wet, I would go with a damp towel and steamed iron. Make sure it is on a hard flat surface with a towel as a protector on and below the leather.

Acchimp

New in Town
Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion. Now, how do I get my German Shepherd’s deer bone aware from him? Oh wait… I think you’re referring to something different. I believe your right though. There’s some evidence of shrinking and stretching. I’m to the point of letting it soak in the tub, then allowing it to dry slowly after trying to reshape it. What can it hurt at this point?
Ahaha, I know you joke but I was concerned my dog would steal my polishing deer bone. If it didn’t work surprisingly well I wouldn’t mention it at all. If you moisten and heat the leather the water will evaporate and shrink the leather fibers, but the leather will harden if it’s too dry so conditioner should help like photo said.

Gr8Lakes

Familiar Face
As for conditioner, I’ve applied a few times. But I’ve been using a pretty mild conditioner - Bickmore Bick 4 conditioner. I really like that stuff for leather that just needs a little softening and maintenance, especially lambskin and deerskin because it doesn’t change color, and motorcycle seats as it doesn’t leave a slippery shine. The vest’s leather was pretty dry to start, and has taken on a much more supple feel. Apart from the couple creases in the front chest area, I’d probably be content.

I do like the deer bone idea, I just need to bite the bullet and buy one - and hide it for real, my dog loves deer antlers so much he whines the first day he gets a new one because he’s afraid he cant hide it well enough in the house, it’s amusingly funny!

I was going to order some Skidmores Leather Cream and try that, as I also have an older Hudson racer style jacket that belonged to my brother whom passed away suddenly a little more than a year ago. It’s a sentimental item that needs some love. The leather is stiff and dry, and the Bicks 4 conditioner just soaks right in and only helps a little. I need something stronger.

I’ll try some suggestions and report back about the results. Thanks for the help, and if anyone else has any other advice, I’m happy to entertain it.

Acchimp

New in Town
As for conditioner, I’ve applied a few times. But I’ve been using a pretty mild conditioner - Bickmore Bick 4 conditioner. I really like that stuff for leather that just needs a little softening and maintenance, especially lambskin and deerskin because it doesn’t change color, and motorcycle seats as it doesn’t leave a slippery shine. The vest’s leather was pretty dry to start, and has taken on a much more supple feel. Apart from the couple creases in the front chest area, I’d probably be content.

I do like the deer bone idea, I just need to bite the bullet and buy one - and hide it for real, my dog loves deer antlers so much he whines the first day he gets a new one because he’s afraid he cant hide it well enough in the house, it’s amusingly funny!

I was going to order some Skidmores Leather Cream and try that, as I also have an older Hudson racer style jacket that belonged to my brother whom passed away suddenly a little more than a year ago. It’s a sentimental item that needs some love. The leather is stiff and dry, and the Bicks 4 conditioner just soaks right in and only helps a little. I need something stronger.

I’ll try some suggestions and report back about the results. Thanks for the help, and if anyone else has any other advice, I’m happy to entertain it.
I’ve seen a few on Etsy, but most are dried so not a lot of oily polishing bones unless you ask and get lucky.
Sorry to hear of your brother’s passing. That sounds like a beautiful jacket, I love that J-57 minimalist rider’s style. I use sapphir beeswax cream and Skidmores seems like a similar formula I might try out as well. Looking forward to the results, always curious about leather treatments.

Gr8Lakes

Familiar Face
So, what I’ve learned thus far:

Creases and wrinkles are tough to rid in leather! But I definitely learned I love Skidmore’s Leather Cream.

I massaged Skidmore’s into the vest, and it really made the leather so much more supple and soft. I put an old t-shirt over the worst wrinkles, and applied a hot(ish) iron to the worst of the wrinkles and creases. It “helped”, but didn’t cure anything. I didn’t want to invest in a deer bone for one project… especially since the vest doesn’t fit and I intend to sell. But, given how soft the leather is now, I really think some warm sunny day riding will help a lot. This is thick leather for a vest too, weighs in at 3 lbs.

On another note, I massaged the Skidmore’s into the jacket I inherited from my brother. This is an 8 pound monster of a jacket, that has thick cowhide that had gotten stiff. NIGHT AND DAY! I’d tried several other conditioners, but Skidmore’s is the only one that actually “restored” the leather. It penetrates and soaks into the hide. I was amazed how much dirt it pulled to the surface as well. I’d cleaned it extensively with leather cleaners, and a vinegar solution. My brother enjoyed the finer herbs of the earth, and there was a lot of smoke order to rid. So to see the dirt being pulled to the surface was further evidence of the Skidmore’s penetrating. Another interesting effect, a couple of the side lace grommets had come loose. After conditioning, they're reseated! Thank goodness they were in the right position, because this was completely unforseen! After a week, both items are so much softer than they were previously. There was a sticky feeling for a couple days, but I was confident it would subside. It did.

Put the vest on the Bay last night, and already got an offer for $120 today. Probably a sale… I’m ready to purchase something that fits, and it’s seed money.

Last edited:

Gr8Lakes

Familiar Face
Some pictures of the post treatment projects.

Attachments

• IMG_20220320_145338257.jpg
    IMG_20220320_145338257.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_20220310_170008178.jpg
    IMG_20220310_170008178.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_20220310_165934354.jpg
    IMG_20220310_165934354.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 108
  • IMG_20220310_170607370.jpg
    IMG_20220310_170607370.jpg