Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ride in Style - Show your vintage motorcycle riding gear

Antique Indian Motocycles

One of the Regulars
As we started to talk about kidney belts, or riding belts, as they were called also, let’s put a light onto that one I am wearing on this photos.
3C3FA5A7-B348-4812-ACD3-338A85A7D5B7.JPG
EFB44526-FCCE-42CF-85D9-F21A19442C35.JPG

One of the Regulars
Those belts were customized and adorned to the owners pleasure mostly. In the mid 1930s motorcycle companies and aftermarkets took their chance to launch decorated belts.
Here you see the “Indian head” chain leather belt, offered by the Indian Motocycle Co. in 1948. This belt and the “Indian Ranger” leather jacket are the most iconic assessors that were offered by Indian now and then.
It´s very comfy to wear because of the chain leather design and still very soft.
It hides a secret,too........
Enjoy the photos.

IMG_1355.jpeg
IMG_3408.jpeg
IMG_3424.jpeg
IMG_3355.jpeg

Edward

Bartender
Those belts were customized and adorned to the owners pleasure mostly. In the mid 1930s motorcycle companies and aftermarkets took their chance to launch decorated belts.
Here you see the “Indian head” chain leather belt, offered by the Indian Motocycle Co. in 1948. This belt and the “Indian Ranger” leather jacket are the most iconic assessors that were offered by Indian now and then.
It´s very comfy to wear because of the chain leather design and still very soft.
It hides a secret,too........
Enjoy the photos.

View attachment 370959 View attachment 370960 View attachment 370961 View attachment 370962

Great looking belt! Are the brown sections in the 'chain' shape where black dye has worn off over time, or were they part of the original design? (Looks uniform enough both sides it can be the latter). I've seen a few kidney belts with that style of construction, as distinct from single pieces of leather the full width of the belt. Clearly a much more complicated construction process, but looks fantastic and I can completely see how it would play to comfort. Lovely piece. The idea of the fluorescent paint being used is an interesting concept - I wonder was the intent purely cosmetic, or are we looking at an early example of visibility as safety factor?

One of the Regulars
Great looking belt!
I wonder was the intent purely cosmetic, or are we looking at an early example of visibility as safety factor?

The chain belt is made of brown and black leather pieces. I have belts with 3 different patterns. Will show how it was tooled.

The fluorescent color was both, I think. This belt model is the only one known with this feature. Unfortunately it doesn´t shine at night anymore…paint is too old.
Buco had reflecting ornaments on both kidney belts and saddle bags.

Indian also launched a leather jacket with reflecting collar and bi-swings in 1959.

Edward

Bartender
The chain belt is made of brown and black leather pieces. I have belts with 3 different patterns. Will show how it was tooled.

The fluorescent color was both, I think. This belt model is the only one known with this feature. Unfortunately it doesn´t shine at night anymore…paint is too old.
Buco had reflecting ornaments on both kidney belts and saddle bags.

Indian also launched a leather jacket with reflecting collar and bi-swings in 1959.

You know, it strikes me now that the plastic 'jewels' commonly used to decorate jackets back then would have served that function too.... Interesting, not something I'd thought about before beyond the aesthetics.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Great hobby. I’d really to get into it. I love bikes but I’m a terrible mechanic. I’m guessing that bike requires regular love.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I won’t let that happen!
Plus, i mean, i’m a REALLY bad mechanic. Every time I pick up a screwdriver the 4 nearest screw heads strip themselves. I’ll stick with modern bikes and continue to imagine I’m riding vintage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko