Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Riley owners/lovers thread

Talbot

One Too Many
Sapphire said:
And with opposite traffic:
tk_8189.jpg

Riley RMA from 1947.

Great interior:eusa_clap . What is the accessory on the windscreen in front of the driver?

Sapphire

One of the Regulars
Talbot said:
What is the accessory on the windscreen in front of the driver?

This is an electric defroster/demister, seems to be from the 1950s and works very well. I will just have to add an extra fuse as the cables are regularly stretched when opening and closing the front windscreen...

Cheers,
Thomas

StraightEight

One of the Regulars
Okay, I'm hooked. Where's the best place to find out more information about the various Riley models, parts supply, cars for sale, models to avoid, etc?

benstephens

Practically Family
Hi Straighteight,

I would say, there are no models to avoid, they are all stylish and elegant cars. A good website is http://web.ukonline.co.uk/rileyrob/images/index2.htm which gives a good selection of the models available.

There are a lot of Riley's on the market at the moment suiting every budget. What are you looking for (Pre or post war?), and the sort of price range, and I am sure we can help.

Kindest regards,

Ben

Sapphire

One of the Regulars
Hi StraightEight,

In addition to the excellent link posted by Ben here is some more stuff on the www:

Riley RM Club (postwar Rileys): http://www.rileyrmclub.org.uk/#scr
Riley Register (prewar Rileys): http://www.rileyregister.com/
Riley Motor Club: http://www.rileymotorclub.org/

All of them offer spare parts, mainly mechanical but also chrome/brass trim etc. I am member of the RM club and my German Mercedes-colleagues are always surprised that it is as easy for me as for them to obtain spare parts, considering that the Rileys is a relatively rare car over here - just open the catalogue and order via fax.

From my point of view the most important thing is the condition of the body, especially the wooden frame. If the ash wood is rotten, you either need to be a skilled craftsman or plan to pay thousands - significantly exceeding the value - to a professional and traditional car body builder (is that a word?).

If you are interested in an RM, I have somewhere a buyers guide in pdf format that I could send you - if I find it back.

Cheers,
Thomas

NicknNora

A-List Customer
Sapphire said:
@ Nora: The price range depends on the model and technical condition. As these cars all have a wooden frame under the metal body, a rotten frame would either require excellent wagon-maker skills or lots of money for a professional restorer- usually exceeding the market value by far. You can get an idea on websites such as www.hemmings.com in the USA or www.carandclassic.com in the UK.

Mechanically at least the post-war cars are relatively easy to maintain. An active club in the UK supplies most parts. Cannot speak for the pre-war models though.

Tom
Tom, thanks for the information. I'd never heard of this automobile before reading this thread. They sure are great looking cars. I'm jealous of all of you who own one. :)

StraightEight

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the resources. A few I had already found through Google but some were new. Good to know that the parts supply is healthy. In my experience, British cars always have the best (and cheapest) parts supply.

Personal preference and budget leans toward a closed car with a preselector gearbox as a requirement, probably in the range of a '36-'38 Kestrel. Seems to be the best years. Not sure how it is with Rileys, but American cars turned a technological corner in '36-'37 and became relatively modern machines. I've seen a couple of cars for sale, but if you come across any or know of any personally (even better), give me a shout. Or if you have recommendations on a better model, interested to hear. Less interested in a project than a solid driver or a restored example. Probably can't afford a one-off or special body car. Don't want the responsibility anyway. We'd probably use it for a tour in Scotland or Wales (thanks for the inspiration, Sapphire!) and then ship it over. I got lucky on my WW2 jeep--it was a perfect vehicle, ran flawlessly to Normandy and back, and I made money on the resale thanks to the weakening dollar. A repeat experience might be too much to ask...

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
Sapphire said:
Good point. As far as I know they are down to ATP's and a few Electras though , so Martinair is probably a worthy replacement :) .

Cheers,
Thomas

A good and valid point, my friend. Perhaps Lufthansa's Junkers Ju 52 "D-AQUI" would also be fitting for you as you are based in Germany, Thomas.

Anyway, you supply such lovely photo's, just keep them coming no matter what you are parked next too. :eusa_clap

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ben & Simone nipping across Les Alpes (movie)

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/x5euh7Gi0uE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/x5euh7Gi0uE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Edward

Bartender
Those prewar Rileys are gorgeous. I'm also quite the fan of the postwar RM models... My old Scoutleader, a friend of Dad's, has long been involved in the same vintage circles, running an RM that he assembled from one saveable car and a donor vehicle (he never quite got the length of the needed respray and installing, er, inner guards, though.... lol ). The thing I really like about those 50s RMs is that they combine a somewhat more practical set of mechanicals (from POV of use as a regular driver) with something much more akin to preWar styling and aesthetics than did much of the competition by this point (see also Morgan, and the SunBeam Talbot). I think had I stayed in the Old Country, or were I much richer than I'm ever likely to be, I'd love to have one of these of my own...

Sapphire

One of the Regulars
Mr. Godfrey said:
A good and valid point, my friend. Perhaps Lufthansa's Junkers Ju 52 "D-AQUI" would also be fitting for you as you are based in Germany, Thomas.

Well, I tried my best, but couldn't convince Lufti to park their D-AQUI next to the Riley. But I think that the Swiss JU-52 HB-HOY does it as well:
IMG_1378_s.jpg

Alternatively I could offer a Boeing Stearman:
IMG_1338s.jpg

And last not least the DC-3 again, this time with a more dynamic perspective:
IMG_1352_s.jpg

In September, we will take the old Lady (the Riley, not the DC-3) for a trip to her original home in Salcombe/Devon before attending the Goodwood Revival. Maybe we'll see some FL/Riley-folks there?

@ Ben: I thought I had seen your Riley on some photos taken at the Schatzalp Weekender. Did you drive all the way from the UK? Germans tend to be whimps and trailer their classic car over long distances...

Cheers,
Tom

benstephens

Practically Family
Hello Tom,

Yes, that was my car, and yes I drove it all the way. Five punctures!, however, apart from that no other problems.

I have the Riley up for sale at the moment. I feel like a Lynx next perhaps.

Your RM is looking nice. Such stylish cars, well like all Riley's really!

Kindest Regards

Ben

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace