Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Riley owners/lovers thread

benstephens

Practically Family
A thread for those who own/love Riley motor cars. Please post. I know this is very specific, but they did make such wonderfully British sports cars in the golden era.

Kindest Regards

BEn

benstephens

Practically Family
My First Riley. Got me hooked. A 1934 Riley Monaco

Riley-1.jpg

BEn

Sapphire

One of the Regulars
Jolly good show, Ben! I really like the pre-war Rileys, especially since I saw a 6-window Kestrel at the National Weekend of the Scottish Riley enthusiasts last year...

Nevertheless I can only offer a post-war Riley, posing in front of an aircraft just like your Monaco:
8211_dc3.jpg

And with opposite traffic:
tk_8189.jpg

Riley RMA from 1947.

Besides the Rileys I am also into Armstrong Siddeleys, hence the user name. There must be some attraction for me in cars built in Coventry!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Good job starting this thread Ben!

I think I might have mentioned it before to you here at the Lounge but I'm a great fan of the Riley Brooklands motorcars. Also got a bit of a soft spot for the Imp as well.

You're current Kestrel is an absolute beauty Ben. I remember you saying last year that she was having the odd trouble mechanically. Hope those are all ironed out now.

Sapphire

One of the Regulars

Warbaby

One Too Many
Another Riley fan here. I had a '52 2.5 litre saloon many years ago and it's one of the cars I've always regretted letting go (there's a '53 Morgan and a '33 MG L-Type on that list, as well).

Not a very good photo, but it's the only one I can find:

riley2.jpg

This is the Riley of my dreams:

rileyDH_9.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Some Riley pics

Ben's beauty (well the four-wheeled one!)

SUMMER1938043.jpg

And at the same event with the delightful Lola L'Amour (Joanne), as we are both totally overshadowed by the beauty of this little Riley tourer!! Just gorgeous quite frankly!!

SUMMER1938076.jpg

Sapphire

One of the Regulars
@ Nora: The price range depends on the model and technical condition. As these cars all have a wooden frame under the metal body, a rotten frame would either require excellent wagon-maker skills or lots of money for a professional restorer- usually exceeding the market value by far. You can get an idea on websites such as www.hemmings.com in the USA or www.carandclassic.com in the UK.

Mechanically at least the post-war cars are relatively easy to maintain. An active club in the UK supplies most parts. Cannot speak for the pre-war models though.

Tom

benstephens

Practically Family
Hi All,

Sorry about length of time replying, have been away. Sapphire, that is a lovely RM. I think, biased as I am, that they are a very elegant post war car, plus, the engines are one of the best (Healey also believed that!)

The little green car Paddy posted is a 1932 Riley Gamecock. It is actually a very original car which is nice.

As for price, the pre war ones are not to dear to maintain, the club have all the spares etc, a few bits are getting hard to get, but not many, price, well, pre war ones are a lot now, especially the more sort after models. The MPH I posted, going by a recent sale, will set you back over £200K.

Mine is indeed a pre-select, and Smithy, after a lot of investigative work, touch wood is running fine now!

Sapphire, I am planning to be at Goodwood this year, you must try and look out for me and say hello!

Kindest Regards

Ben

Sapphire

One of the Regulars
benstephens said:
Sapphire, I am planning to be at Goodwood this year, you must try and look out for me and say hello!

Ben, I will certainly look out for you and your Riley on the pre-66 parking. We will be there all three days, presumably with our black 1956 Armstrong-Siddeley Sapphire. There shouldn't be too many of these around with German number plate...

The owner of our garage also has a Riley, it is a 1938 TT Sprite Special that he is regularly using on the racetrack.

Cheers,
Thomas

Sapphire

One of the Regulars
Mr. Godfrey said:
Shouldnt that be a Air Atlantique DC3 then :D

Good point. As far as I know they are down to ATP's and a few Electras though , so Martinair is probably a worthy replacement :) .

Cheers,
Thomas

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24