Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Bates Corner

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Thought I would start a new Bates-thread for those who have, or want to own a Bates jacket.

My Background - The Bates padded Cafe Racer I recently picked up is the first Bates I have handled. It is also one of the first "50's" vintage jackets I have tired that actually fits me, so it seems to be a rare find here. This brand has quite a storied history, and it's neat that it is still out there working and building new jackets in California. I also found a near identical copy of my jacket in Rin Tanaka's book on Vintage Motorcycle Jackets. As I get time to find this again I will input more detail here.

It seems to be that this forum is, in many respects, a slight more accessible version of that book - lots of good information and photos, and very easy to access. I hope we can do the same here for the company of Bates, and I started this thread as I did not find a specific thread on this company. If I simply missed, the Moderators can feel free to merge this into the existing one.

So without further ado, here is the Bates CR I picked up and what I know about it so far:

Bates_01.JPG
Bates_02.JPG DSC_0203.JPG

Jacket Background - As can be seen in the three images posed above, this jacket is quite old. It has also lived quite the storied life, and I am personally under the impression that it has never had a lining to speak of. The two pocket bags are still in solid shape, and there is a slight lining material (not yet photographed) under each of the shoulder pads, which is clearly visible inside the jacket. The elastic straps across the jacket, which meet in the center seam of the back, appear to hold the jacket just a little more snugly on the wearer's back. This is, after-all a "racing shirt". So very little of the detailing is intended to be flashy. It's simply a very basic and functional jacket.

Bates_04.JPG

Leather & Fit - A word about the leather itself. I cannot tell if it's Horse or Steer. What it is, even after 60+ years, is very grainy, supple (after several applications of conditioner) and for the most part, a very usable, wearable jacket today. It is fairly thick - this jacket weighs around 6.0 lbs, which is partially due to being a larger size, but also it was made with thicker than standard leather. While still wearable, this is not for the bike anymore - it's a bit fragile in the upper back, shoulders and upper arm area. One has to handle it carefully for sure. It still retains a great, vintage leather smell. It is not musty, moldy or smoky of smell at all. It is actually very comfortable just to wear around. I hope to take it out in the community some in the coming weeks and simply see if anyone notices it.

Zippers & Hardware -

Bates_05.JPG Bates_11.JPG
The Main zipper
is a rather unusual Conmar and you can see here that the teeth are quite large and shaped differently than most other zippers I have witnessed. I do not know if the brass slider was added later - it's possible, as the rest of this zipper is nickel. There is a break in one side of the zipper toward the very top of the jacket, but that' not a problem as I only zip it 3/4of the way at the most. The main zipper is one of the smoothest-action zippers I have ever tried.

Bates_06.JPG Bates_07.JPG

The pocket and sleeve zippers
are all original and appear to also be Conmar. They all still work correctly and retain their original leather pulls (!) The tape on one pocket and one sleeve zipper are splitting, but the zips are in good working order.

Padding - Not sure if many other jacket companies used pads in this time period, I know Langlitz did, but these pads are still in great shape and still have some give to them.

Bates_10.JPG

Future plans -
Repair nothing, keep it conditioned, wear it carefully as able, and perhaps look at a new Bates in the near future.

Attachments

• Bates_10.JPG
    Bates_10.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

lina

Practically Family
Such a great jacket, and a nice new thread to have.
I don’t own a Bates but am always on the lookout for one. Mostly smaller sizes pop up unfortunately. What I’d like to find is a straight zip, collared Moto jacket.

Kubatu

A-List Customer
Bates is one of my favorite brands just because of their flat track heritage. I don't actually care much for their terminator jacket, but the designs on their racing stuff is very unique.

I owned these two. The black CR was too small, but the second jacket fit great. I still regret selling it.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Other cool jackets from Bates:

batesjacket1.jpg

bates+custom.JPG

c1c5cdb9915fe788dd443a3a351a70a6.jpg

bates+options.JPG

As you can see, they did a lot of customization. Stands out in a sea of black leather jackets today.

Bates actually is the best. Was, at least but Bates jackets are the best I've seen, handled, worn, had. They're pure equipment. More-so than Vanson.

Speaking of, you know Vanson's ever popular Bones jacket? Well Bates did it first and Bates' (well, technically, ABC Leathers') version is a work of art! Makes Vanson's look like a blob...

I mean, they even properly crossed the ulna and radius!

The photos are courtesy of @handymike.

e10b0cd5-504a-44a1-bc3a-30efe3228f4d-jpeg.363432

d5fcaa21-3c8b-4435-9cd0-6ca4851eb102-jpeg.363433

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Bates actually is the best. Was, at least but Bates jackets are the best I've seen, handled, worn, had. They're pure equipment. More-so than Vanson.

Speaking of, you know Vanson's ever popular Bones jacket? Well Bates did it first and Bates' (well, technically, ABC Leathers') version is a work of art! Makes Vanson's look like a blob...

The original maker of the "bones". I had one set. I do not know where it is but is somewhere in the houses. I remember offering a nice cafe racer for about $140... What I was thinking?

Albe64

One of the Regulars

The Great Dave Aldana was riding in this gem

Biff42

One of the Regulars
Bates is one of my favorite brands just because of their flat track heritage. I don't actually care much for their terminator jacket, but the designs on their racing stuff is very unique.

I owned these two. The black CR was too small, but the second jacket fit great. I still regret selling it.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Other cool jackets from Bates:

batesjacket1.jpg

bates+custom.JPG

c1c5cdb9915fe788dd443a3a351a70a6.jpg

bates+options.JPG

As you can see, they did a lot of customization. Stands out in a sea of black leather jackets today.
I love the second Bates jacket you posted. I need something like that for when I do my motorcycle jump over the Grand Canyon ;)

Biff42

One of the Regulars
I love the Bates designs! I own three of them. This is my favorite. Thanks for creating the thread bro.

Attachments

• 20240225_173626~2.jpg
    20240225_173626~2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
  • 20240225_173631~2.jpg
    20240225_173631~2.jpg
    451 KB · Views: 14

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran