Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RMC Mobster vs FW Mulholland. Who wins in a bare knuckle brawl?

111Joel111

Familiar Face
Hey guys,
I've searched hi and low for a comparison of these two jackets. I'm new to the whole repro leather jacket world so I have almost zero experience. I know Freewheelers is the bees knees and I love the Mulholland jacket, the leather looks nicer (in photos) cut look slimmer, and it has that chest pocket. As for the the Real McCoy's Mobster I really like the belt loops on the jacket and I like the styley buttons, cut seems more boxy and the leather seems a little stiffer (in photos).

Anybody have/had both and can give me an opinion on either? Recommendations are appreciated too!
Thanks a million!
Joel

Jasonissm

Practically Family
I had a Mobster but I had to sell it off because the cut didn't work for me, it fits larger than tag size and although it was a really well built and beautiful jacket, it was a little long for my taste and also not slim enough.

111Joel111

Familiar Face
Hey guys,
I've searched hi and low for a comparison of these two jackets. I'm new to the whole repro leather jacket world so I have almost zero experience. I know Freewheelers is the bees knees and I love the Mulholland jacket, the leather looks nicer (in photos) cut look slimmer, and it has that chest pocket. As for the the Real McCoy's Mobster I really like the belt loops on the jacket and I like the styley buttons, cut seems more boxy and the leather seems a little stiffer (in photos).

Anybody have/had both and can give me an opinion on either? Recommendations are appreciated too!
Thanks a million!
Joel
JUMP TO NEWUNWATCH
•••

111Joel111

New in Town​

Messages3
Hey guys,

Thanks a million!
Joel

Quote Reply
Report Edit
freestar
[IMG alt="Jasonissm"]https://www.thefedoralounge.com/data/avatars/m/62/62290.jpg?1663074243[/IMG]

Jasonissm

A-List Customer​

Messages366
I had a Mobster but I had to sell it off because the cut didn't work for me, it fits larger than tag size and although it was a really well built and beautiful jacket, it was a little long for my taste and also not slim enough.

Like Like Quote Reply
Reactions:You

111Joel111

New in Town​

Messages4
Good to know! Thanks so much! I prefer my jackets shorter too. What did you think of the leather?

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I've owned a lot of both makers and overall, Freewheelers usually does a better job. I tend to prefer their leather, linings, cuts, quality, etc more.

With that said, what matters by far more than anything else is how well the jacket fits you. If the Freewheelers doesn't fit you, none of what I said above matters. If the RMC fits better, get it. I'm splitting hairs with RMC and Freewheelers. They're both amazing.

Its more about the fit than the style differences even.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Toys McCoy Mobster.

(Both that and the Mulholland are technically more the RMC Mobster than the current RMC one.)

Jasonissm

Practically Family
JUMP TO NEWUNWATCH
•••

111Joel111

New in Town​

Messages3
Hey guys,

Thanks a million!
Joel

Quote Reply
Report Edit
freestar
[IMG alt="Jasonissm"]https://www.thefedoralounge.com/data/avatars/m/62/62290.jpg?1663074243[/IMG]

Jasonissm

A-List Customer​

Messages366

View attachment 533470 Like Quote Reply
Reactions:You

111Joel111

New in Town​

Messages4
Good to know! Thanks so much! I prefer my jackets shorter too. What did you think of the leather?
Leather is quite good, stiff (previous owner didn't wear it much,, neither did I, so not broken in at all), good colour, very beautiful sheen, and has the typical teacore that chips away, personally I prefer either non-teacore or one that wears away more slowly. Smelled pretty nice too.

Also, if I wanted an RMC (which I do), I'd go for the J-100 or the J-24, seems like they focus most of their efforts into making those good since they're the flagship models, the patterns are the best out of all the RMC I have tried.

Last edited:

111Joel111

Familiar Face
I've owned a lot of both makers and overall, Freewheelers usually does a better job. I tend to prefer their leather, linings, cuts, quality, etc more.

With that said, what matters by far more than anything else is how well the jacket fits you. If the Freewheelers doesn't fit you, none of what I said above matters. If the RMC fits better, get it. I'm splitting hairs with RMC and Freewheelers. They're both amazing.

Its more about the fit than the style differences even.
Thanks Jake! Appreciate the tip! Put me a bit at ease. I was under the impression it's Freewheelers... and then everything else below it. I really like them both equally... but I can only really compare from photos. I did try on the Mobster and the 40 fits perfect! Cheers!

111Joel111

Familiar Face
Leather is quite good, stiff (previous owner didn't wear it much,, neither did I, so not broken in at all), good colour, very beautiful sheen, and has the typical teacore that chips away, personally I prefer either non-teacore or one that wears away more slowly. Smelled pretty nice too.

Also, if I wanted an RMC (which I do), I'd go for the J-100 or the J-24, seems like they focus most of their efforts into making those good since they're the flagship models, the patterns are the best out of all the RMC I have tried.
Thanks! That helps. Yeah I don't love the fast fading tea core either. Thanks again, I'll check those models out.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Jake! Appreciate the tip! Put me a bit at ease. I was under the impression it's Freewheelers... and then everything else below it. I really like them both equally... but I can only really compare from photos. I did try on the Mobster and the 40 fits perfect! Cheers!
If it fits perfect and you like it, then go for it IMO.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
"I'm new to the whole repro leather jacket world" and your first choice is to go for the very high end / most expensive (relatively) models/makers? Not being judgmental / negative, just curious. Can you expand on how you decided to start right from the top? If you feel comfortable with answering.

Observe

One Too Many
"I'm new to the whole repro leather jacket world" and your first choice is to go for the very high end / most expensive (relatively) models/makers? Not being judgmental / negative, just curious. Can you expand on how you decided to start right from the top? If you feel comfortable with answering.
Trying a used straight zip CHP (what both jackets are based on) to test the style would be a good idea if he's new to jackets, but if OP has the cash to drop $2-3k on a jacket, it's his money. Maybe we'll see it here at a discounted rate on the classifieds shortly lol.

Freewheelers is generally regarded as higher end than RMC, in terms of construction and materials. But at this price point, it's nit picking and ultimately it's a matter of fitting the pattern to the wearer's body. In terms of availability, I think you'll have an easier time getting your hands on a Mobster than a Mulholland.

111Joel111

Familiar Face
No worries! I've had a tonne of leather jackets, usually vintage and some new and pricey too. But none in this world, the only real jacket that caught my eye was the Mulholland. Then other one that grabbed me that was similar was the RMC Mobster. I really like the design elements of both. I've poured though brands and retailers finding similar versions but none really piqued my interest in the same way. So that's how I ended up here. (In saying that, I would much prefer to find a vintage version for $50 at my local thrift shop.... but I doubt that's going to happen.)

111Joel111

Familiar Face
Trying a used straight zip CHP (what both jackets are based on) to test the style would be a good idea if he's new to jackets, but if OP has the cash to drop $2-3k on a jacket, it's his money. Maybe we'll see it here at a discounted rate on the classifieds shortly lol.

Freewheelers is generally regarded as higher end than RMC, in terms of construction and materials. But at this price point, it's nit picking and ultimately it's a matter of fitting the pattern to the wearer's body. In terms of availability, I think you'll have an easier time getting your hands on a Mobster than a Mulholland.
Appreciate it! That really helps. It's not so much the higher end that I'm chasing but more the style and cut. Cheers!

Brandrea33

One Too Many
I don't know if my personal experience will help but here goes.

I bought a Mulholland and although the jacket was beautifully made, it did not fit So I moved it on. The arms were way too short for me.

Another small irk for me was with the snap buttons on the cuffs …would’ve likely scratched my watches (that may be nitpicking to some).

Although I haven’t tried the Mobster, I did buy a Nelson from RMC. I didn’t notice a significant difference in the quality, but if memory serves it felt heavier. That could be a good or bad thing depending.

I didn’t keep it as the fit was just all wrong for me. It had huge sleeves, and a giant neck opening. The Mulholland fit me better and if not for the sleeve length I would’ve kept it.

I agree with Jake, if the Mobster fits you well I’d charge ahead.

If you can’t try on a Mulholland, at the very least, get the seller to send you measurements with a tape with photos. I’ll never buy another jacket without this.

Good luck!

111Joel111

Familiar Face
I don't know if my personal experience will help but here goes.

I bought a Mulholland and although the jacket was beautifully made, it did not fit So I moved it on. The arms were way too short for me.

Another small irk for me was with the snap buttons on the cuffs …would’ve likely scratched my watches (that may be nitpicking to some).

Although I haven’t tried the Mobster, I did buy a Nelson from RMC. I didn’t notice a significant difference in the quality, but if memory serves it felt heavier. That could be a good or bad thing depending.

I didn’t keep it as the fit was just all wrong for me. It had huge sleeves, and a giant neck opening. The Mulholland fit me better and if not for the sleeve length I would’ve kept it.

I agree with Jake, if the Mobster fits you well I’d charge ahead.

If you can’t try on a Mulholland, at the very least, get the seller to send you measurements with a tape with photos. I’ll never buy another jacket without this.

Good luck!
That all really helps, thanks so much! Yeah the measurements on the Mulholland seem short, I'm a bit concerned about that. It seems the consensus is that I should go for what I know works. If you don't mind answering but how tall are you, what size did you have in the Mulholland?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner