Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Road to Perdition - New thoughts

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Hi MD,

I just read your review of Road to Perdition and I guess I have to respectfully disagree. I think it was a narrative hash, pretentious all the way through and that Tom Hanks, a light-weight and a blubber face all at the same time, was terribly miscast. Also Paul Newman was sadly underused. I had been looking forward to this film when it came out but was disappointed.

I can't wait to see what you think of some of the period films I think are the tip top of the tippy top of film-making (and period). Is it a coincidence that they were made in the 70s (and into he 80s)? Check out Chinatown, The Godfather I & II, Bound for Glory and Once Upon a Time in America; also, just for fun, take a look at the 1973 Dillinger. I'll be waiting for your reviews.

Cheers, and fun site. :cool: :)

J.F.

HaraldTheSwede

Familiar Face
I thought Road to Perdition was rather ok, until I read the comic book. It's just sooo much better. You clearly notice how they Tom Hanksed the movie so to speak.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I too would not say this is an "A" movie. It was one of those movies where all the right elements of a great movie were present, but somehow nothing ever rose to be spectacular. The type of movie where after you leave the theatre, you can't remember what movie you saw the next morning.

Hanks was very much miscast I agree. Law's character was probably the most interesting in the movie, and that was more the product of his personal charisma than the actual character or his lines.

Also the frequent firearms flubs in this movie I thought were rather tacky for a historical drama made in this day and age.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy