Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Role Club, which last and Structured vs Unstructured

Aquinn

New in Town
Hi all!

this is my first forum post so forgive me if I'm doing something incorrect. I'm in the middle of ordering my first pair of role club engineer boots (my first engineers in general) and wanted some last and toe advice. I have a pretty large, wide foot (13ee) so was leaning towards the 1945 last (his new name for the 2307 last) because I think this will make my foot look slimmer than the more bulbous 1940 last. As for the toe I was thinking I wanted an unstructured toe but was curious if you all had any pics of broken in role clubs so that I could see how they look with both toe types after some wear. Still curious about the 2 lasts too. I'm not too concerned about the historical accuracy and more about how my boots will look after years of wear. Oh and any opinions on the toe trac? I'm leaning towards leaving it out but curious what y'all think about it.

Thank you so much!!

Aza

Aquinn

New in Town
Hi Mike thanks for the reply! I actually saw that thread already. It definitely helps but the main thing it’s missing is what the 2307/1945 last with the structured toe looks like once broken in since his are brand new. Maybe I’ll respond to that thread and ask for updated pics.

mvilla

A-List Customer
Have you ever heard abou the Patina Project app? There's a good amount of boot pics there, plenty of Role Clubs. I'm sure you can get some reference from there

TartuWolf

Practically Family
Just wanted to comment on this part: "because I think this will make my foot look slimmer"
I would strongly advise against prioritizing looks over comfort. Make sure your toes have room and are not cramped together over "looking slim". Much more important in the long run.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Take this with a big grain of salt because it is coming from a leather boot and jacket addict, if that description does not apply to you, then this advice may not apply either
I bought three pairs of engineer boots before I learned what I really wanted in a pair of engineers (and I have bought six pairs since then). I still wear that third pair but the first two were given away long ago. For me, it was a process of trial and error to understand the features that I really liked and those that I didn’t.
You mentioned that this pair from Role Club will be your first and that makes me wonder if it wouldn’t be a better idea to start out with a pair of less expensive off the shelf boots in order to find out what you like about the style. I realize this might not be the easiest thing to do considering that you are at the top end of the size range, but it might help you to get the boot of your dreams from Brian when the time is right

Aquinn

New in Town
That makes a lot of sense @El Marro. It’s definitely been difficult finding boots that fit well since I’m 13EE with a pretty high instep. Also I already dropped my deposit so I’m all in . Out of curiosity what did you finally learn what you were looking for in your engineers. Also, it’s gonna be a 7 month wait so I guess that does give me some time to look around. Thanks for the response!

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So the first pair I bought was the basic Wesco Boss in black with the big bulbous toe and heavy Vibram lug soles. I swear I could feel the fillings in my teeth rattle every time the boot hit the pavement. My second pair was a Cordovan Wesco Boss but with the same big toe and heavy lug soles.
After that I found the Wesco 7400 which is built with the toe from their motor patrolman’s boot and has a more classic engineer boot look and feel. It also has a more low key Vibram sole which looks and wears better than the lug style. Another feature I like is to add a couple inches to the toe strap, another classic touch.

@Aquinn, if you go up to the Bay Area at all, you could visit Standard & Strange. They have a few Engineers to try on- because of your size, I’d call to see if they have some that’ll fit first. Here in LA, there aren’t too many shops to try on…maybe Snake Oil Provisions in Highland Park or The Stronghold in Venice.

I really like the look of engineers- really, really…but I don’t wear mine much. I tend to gravitate to lace up boots for work/ comfort, and recently I wear more casual shoes…pity because my Frye’s are damn cool… Lofgren’s are amazing too. I love the last that Role Club made to imitate the 40s Chippewas.

Nine Inch Males

One of the Regulars
This is what a pair of 2307's look like when they start to break in. For me this is a perfect looking boot, and what i have coming for myself in September. This last has a more almond shape as well, where as the 1940 is rounder with a more bulbous toe. I know rounder toes are the current bootnerd trend, but I think the slightly more western more angled look of the 2307 can not be beat.

Sidenote: I am pretty sure the new 1945 last is actually the rounded toe of the 1940 with the flat toe profile of the 2307, not a new name for the 2307. He still uses the 2307.

This pair pictured are @Thedenimdentist 's and he has a lot more pics of them with different stages of wear on his instagram, if you'd like more references. I would go with an unstructured toe, as I am not a fan of bulbous toes, and love the slim profile of unstructured toes as they show wear, but this subjective.
Screenshot 2023-07-02 at 12.19.33 AM.png

Nine Inch Males

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the info @Nine Inch Males! This was super helpful! I also prefer the slimmer profile. Now I just need to decide between the 2307 and 1945!

Aza

My pleasure! If you want to see examples of what the 1945 last looks like, check out Brian‘s Instagram. His recent release of a batch of brown engineers with yellow welt showcases the new 1945 last. Like I said, round or shape, flat toed profile.​

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner