Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rolled up

Michaelson

One Too Many
Give us a few minutes, Art. james and I will come up with another one if that one didn't suit you. ;) High regards. Michaelson

Ok, how about:

"I was walking along and a strong wind blew it off my head and into the street at quiting time. The traffic was terrible and I had to wait ten minutes before it died down long enough to get to the hat. By then it had ben hit by an untold number of cars."
Did I mention it was raining too? :eek: ;) I had to wring out the water. :cry: That is why it is all rolled up. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
It is interesting how some ladies hats had a seem across the top of the crown to facilitate rolling.

I wonder why they never did that with men's hats other than straw.

Then again in this ladies hat the seam runs through the brim and the look was a little more floppy then mens style hats.

LadyKnox2-vi.jpg

Hmmm... That is a good question.
The Lee Adventurer and the Borsalino travel hats for men do have a noticeable crease down the center of the hat though. You can only see it on the top of the crown when the hat is unrolled and worn though. That would mean that you would have to be taller than the wearer though. ;)
Interestingly, the Adventurer is not a rare hat. it is the tube that they fit in for travel that is rare. Most men just junked the tube and wore the hat without regard to the folding feature I guess. Anyone have a complete Lee Adventurer---including the travel tube?

Regards to all,

J

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I have a Lee adventurer and there is no welt or seam on the top of mine. Nothing I can see to indicate that you can roll the hat other than what I saw in the ads.

If you have one with a raised edge on the top It could be from the rolling itself, or a different block than was used on mine. Show some pics.

Also... for the modern Roll up Borsy. I was reading on another forum that you have to reblock the hat if you really use it for travel. apparently the felt doesn't have the resilience to pop back into shape if left rolled for too long.

Michaelson

One Too Many
Interesting. I was wondering about that at the time Joe Sr. was demonstrating it to me. Speaking for myself, I've never had a REASON to ever roll up any of my fedoras, as I store them in their original boxes, and when traveling, I wear my hat, and take only the one in that trip. Good info to know should the opportunity ever present itself....Regards. Michaelson

Originally posted by Matt Deckard
If you have one with a raised edge on the top It could be from the rolling itself, or a different block than was used on mine. Show some pics.

I guess I did not make myself clear. The crease is a crease from being rolled up. There is no seam or welt.

Originally posted by Matt Deckard
Also... for the modern Roll up Borsy. I was reading on another forum that you have to reblock the hat if you really use it for travel. apparently the felt doesn't have the resilience to pop back into shape if left rolled for too long.

I am not sure about the modern Borsalino travel hats as I have not come in contact with those but the vintage ones in the sort of triangular white boxes will pop back when you unroll them. After wearing them for a few minutes the heat from your head smooths them out nicely. I doubt you could keep a decent C crown block on it but a hand formed block will hold just fine. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Canadave

One Too Many
That video of Zohar was very cool. I don't remember where it is, though. Can someone point me (and anyone else who hasn't seen it) in the right direction?

Thanks,

David

Canadave

One Too Many
That would be the one! It's as fresh as the day I first saw it. It starts out fast, keeps you transfixed, and the ending is not to be believed. I give it *****!

(Thats 5-stars...not a curse word!)

:)

David

gcollins

One of the Regulars
What a great video, Zohar! not sure how I missed it the first time around. Hilarious text. Definitely the best "hat" video I've seen.

Regards,
G

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart