Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rolling Dub Trio Gleaners

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Has anyone received their pair of the Rollin Dub Trio side zip boots (gleaners) here? According to Butterscotch, the sizing is way off/larger, a bit shocking, that if you wear 8.5 in common sneakers, you should order 7.5 ....Being made in Japan this is the biggest oversizing I've come across in shoes! I orderd mine in 8, while I wear 8.5 OR 9 in sneakers...but really, sneakers, being laced-up and you can tighten as much as you want, may not be a good benchmark.

regius

Well, these shoes are made for the US market and sized in US numbers. So what Buttscotch means by 9 is US 9.

regius

Received my pair of the Butterscotch/Rollin Dub Trio side zip boots, the Gleaners. I’d say I’m very happy, glad the size worked. Here’s a quick review.
Leather:
it’s a kind of cowhide with a polished sheen, resembles that of Schott’s horsehide but obviously stiffer and thicker. The creasing characteristic is typical of “calfskin” used for dress shoes, think Alden or Crocket Jones. Small, dense creases. Overall, these boots are very stiff.
Interior:
the footbed matters a lot to me as many makers use a very slippery veg-tanned leather as footbed, despite whether there’s a cushioned heel support, those slippery footbed can lead to blister very easily. I mentioned a while ago that the MF Road Champ is very slippery and your foot tends to slide forward and your toe gets jammed into the low ceiling. The Gleaners LUCKILY have the matte type of footbed, similar to Alden’s, no slipping.
Instep and width:
So, you’d think a side zip boots shouldn’t have issue putting on, but the shaft and instep corner of there is quite tight, I actually had to struggle a tiny bit to put them on. I have slim foot bones so if someone has bigger ankle or instep, these are gonna be an issue. However, after getting on, the ball area is wide enough, no squeezing. It’s like the Alden’s Barrie or Balance last.
Balance/Heel Height: very balance front to back. Rubber heel cap is thick, so provides good cushion although I’d wished they use more leather stacking but it’s ok.

I’d recommend these but watch out for tight shaft/ankle area.

Attachments

• F31F901F-7AD6-4D95-B752-A9D13EFE9AD3.jpeg
    F31F901F-7AD6-4D95-B752-A9D13EFE9AD3.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 1,149
  • D1CF365E-EFFF-4F35-AF6E-E5E00D450081.jpeg
    D1CF365E-EFFF-4F35-AF6E-E5E00D450081.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 954

regius

One full day of wearing while standing and kneeling a lot some waking on paved grounds. I have to the the neck is quite tight.

Attachments

• 1314BFC7-1FED-4E74-9E68-20DB23D4067A.jpeg
    1314BFC7-1FED-4E74-9E68-20DB23D4067A.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 1,012

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR