Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Romania between the wars

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2555487/Costica-Ascintes-incredible-photographs-Romania.html

Interesting selection of photos published in the Daily mail today:

article-2555487-1B58006C00000578-270_964x637.jpg

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the link.

As I have a strong fascination with the "smaller" countries of the 30-40's I immensely enjoyed these photos.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I've got to add these:

This is what I call a suit:
Romanians2_zpse3fc3dea.jpg

The chap on the left looks to be wearing a nice casual shirt:
Romanians3_zps053e5789.jpg

These fellas are looking good:
Romanians1_zps70fe70fc.jpg

I've just looked at the Flicka pics - there are some really amazing outfits.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Regarding the Flickr treasure trove...

they were certainly enthusiastic about huge lapels. :)

Reminds me of your peak-lapel sportcoat Two Types.

11326756555_44f61bc74f_c.jpg

11326906633_5e7e28ee3d_c.jpg

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Regarding the Flickr treasure trove...

they were certainly enthusiastic about huge lapels. :)

Reminds me of your peak-lapel sportcoat Two Types.

11326906633_5e7e28ee3d_c.jpg

Absolutely wonderful. Eastern Europe really was the place!

Another great source of East European styles are photos from the Hungarian Uprising in 1956 - they were the coolest rebels ever:
hungary1_zps17344ecb.jpg

hungary2_zps4d92eb72.jpg

Metatron

One Too Many
It really is a treasure trove... It is just the sort of thing I'm always looking for, photos of a random cross section of the population. Film stars do not give the full picture.
There is a definite preference for peak lapels.
Here are some more good ones:

Two Types, are there any good photographic sources that cover the Uprising?

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I like the first photo! Hitler tried to wipe out Jazz, but he did not succeed, as this photo shows. When the German U-Boats crossed the Atlantic in 1942 to sink American shipping, the first thing they would do was to tune in to the local Jazz radio stations. Music and clothing is the great equalizer.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I like the first photo! Hitler tried to wipe out Jazz, but he did not succeed, as this photo shows.

He also tried to wipe out gypsies and i would say this band appear to be from the Roma community. More than 30,000 Roma died in Romanian during WW2, so I wonder whether this jazz band survived the final two years of war?

matei

One Too Many
Very interesting, was unaware that the Daily Mail posted that (not that I'm an avid reader). As someone with ties to Romania I found it very interesting.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
One thing that might surprise some (it did me) is that Central Europe and Eastern Europe were more oriented toward Western Europe than Russia from the middle ages up to WW2. We are used to thinking of this area as being in the Soviet sphere of influence, but this was a modern development.

They were very much a part of European science, art, religion etc before the Iron Curtain came down.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
He appears to be wearing sandals. Note the change/fob pocket appears to be on the left side of his trousers, rather than the more common right-hand side.

The negative may have been accidentally reversed when making the print. This results in a mirror image.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
One thing that might surprise some (it did me) is that Central Europe and Eastern Europe were more oriented toward Western Europe than Russia from the middle ages up to WW2. We are used to thinking of this area as being in the Soviet sphere of influence, but this was a modern development.

They were very much a part of European science, art, religion etc before the Iron Curtain came down.

Yes, in fact, Albania purchased their military equipment from the Chinese. The only country in the old Soviet Union to do so!

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
I'm sure you meant the only country in the Warsaw Pact/Eastern Bloc (before they withdrew in 1968 due to their association with the Chinese).
Albania of course was never a part of the Soviet Union.

@Stanley

The image is not mirrored. Note the correct male buttoning of shirt and pants. Also the chest pocket.
Placing the fob pocket on the left side was common in French and Southern European tailoring. I guess this is where the Romanians took their cue from.
Possibly also an imported pair of pants from the second hand market - as it was common then.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot