Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Romantic 1950s Comic Books?

Foofoogal

Banned
I went to a fleamarket today and found the most interesting comic books. Some were romantic like soap operas and one was about the mob. Is this some sort of kitsch I don't know about?
Dated 1954 on them. [huh]

never mind.

Foofoogal

Banned
thank you. that is very interesting. the ones I found for very cheap have the top of the covers cut off. Not sure but maybe they used the lettering for decoupage or something? Still fun to read.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
From 1960.
CCF03152010_00002.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Foofoogal said:
thank you. that is very interesting. the ones I found for very cheap have the top of the covers cut off. Not sure but maybe they used the lettering for decoupage or something? Still fun to read.

Magazines you find with the covers chopped like that are unsold newsstand stock -- newsdealers would take outdated magazines and cut off the part of the cover that had the title and send it back to the distributor for credit. Then they were supposed to throw the rest of the magazine away, but a lot of comics and pulps got taken home and given to the kids.

As for Lois Lane, I used to read her comic all the time -- and even as a six-year-old, I thought she was a dope. If she'd spent half the time at her typewriter as she spent chasing that tights-wearing doofus, she'd have won the Pulitzer Prize.

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Foofoogal said:
I went to a fleamarket today and found the most interesting comic books. Some were romantic like soap operas and one was about the mob. Is this some sort of kitsch I don't know about?
Dated 1954 on them. [huh]

never mind.

Looking for any more? I snagged some in that genre at the flea market one time. Not my thing, I do War era ones. But those comics have a strong following. Some of the titles I have are:

Modeling with Millie
First Kiss
Real Love
Teen Confessions
Young Romance
Girls' Romances
Confession of the Lovelorn

It was an effort by the comic companies to broaden their market to young ladies as well as young men. It kind of sort of caught on for a little while. There is a very wide variety of titles out there in the romance genre.

Matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy