Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rough Wear B3

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I bought this RW B3 sometime ago from the States. I have replaced the cuffs with shearling from an old B3 which I use for repairs.The rest of the shearling is strong and very supple. This is Rw's second contract, 42-5111 and dates from late 1941 early 1942. I love the contrast between the russet facings and the seal body. It's a size 42 long and even has the original white cloth tag in the pocket! The zipper is a triple marked deco Talon and is in pristine condition. Clearly the jacket had little wear in the War.

Picture001a-8.jpg

Picture002a-6.jpg

Picture003a-6.jpg

Picture012-1.jpg

aswatland

Feraud said:
Why was contrasting colored leather used?

Good question. There are several possible reasons: 1. The manufacturers had quantities of russet horsehide to use up.
2. The contrasting facings gave the jacket a distinctive and smart look!
3. Russet horsehide was more plentiful than seal coloured?

There may be other reasons, which I am interested to know about.

Edward

Bartender
I'd always figured it was a case of what materials were avaialble rather than purely a design choice - the pre war jackets seem to be one colour all over?

Mountain Pilot

New in Town
RW B-3

I recently purchased from U.S. Authentic, the same replica version with contrasting leather. I added the USAAF decal to the left shoulder, and an embossed name tag, with black lettering. All this to match one I saw in an Army Navy Surplus store. From your pix, I can gladly see how the jacket will look in time. . .Wunderbar!

Feraud

Bartender
Mountain Pilot said:
I recently purchased from U.S. Authentic, the same replica version with contrasting leather. I added the USAAF decal to the left shoulder, and an embossed name tag, with black lettering. All this to match one I saw in an Army Navy Surplus store. From your pix, I can gladly see how the jacket will look in time. . .Wunderbar!
You should post a few pics when you have time.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
i have a B3 i got off of ebay for about a $100...i absolutely love it...really nice shearling and leather, little worn on the elbow, but looks good..only problem is it needs a zipper stop on the right hand side...can anyone help me out? i dont want to replace the whole track and i have the zipper, just need to sew or clamp or something, a little stop on the bottom thanks all! i wear it anyway, but with winter coming, i want to close it :eusa_doh:

aswatland

Sam_Marlow_PI said:
i have a B3 i got off of ebay for about a $100...i absolutely love it...really nice shearling and leather, little worn on the elbow, but looks good..only problem is it needs a zipper stop on the right hand side...can anyone help me out? i dont want to replace the whole track and i have the zipper, just need to sew or clamp or something, a little stop on the bottom thanks all! i wear it anyway, but with winter coming, i want to close it :eusa_doh:

I bought a naval M422a jacket once which had a flight suit zip in it with two sliders. I was able to use one of the sliders and remove the puller and squeeze it on the bottom of the zip tape. It worked well.So if you have a spare slider this might be the answer.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
so u took the extra slider and squeezed it on to the bottom so it acted as the stop? i think thats what mean lol that sounds pretty slick, i mite try that...or find a another stopper and squeeze it on the zipper bottom...ill work on it thanks ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80