Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Roughwear vs. Perry A-2 Fit

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I should probably provide a few more details. It's a GW order. I'm 6'2", 195 lbs. (down 10 lbs. with another 10-15 lbs. to go). Do you think the Werber or Doniger would look best on a man with my build? The Werber has a nice silhouette, but I wore it once and the arms kept coming up on me. Maybe that was because I was wearing John's jacket and I'm an inch taller than him. Other than the arms, it felt good. The Doniger has the inset sleeves to provide greater arm reach, but you have to want goatskin.

Thanks.

The Doni works well on a longer torso/taller wearer (although I had one and I'm only 5'8") and is very comfortable, but goat is the only option from John. John Jeter (CBI) has a couple of GW Werbers and these look great, especially the '36 with its detailing. The HH is lighter in colour (period correct) and has slender torso/arms.
John has posted these on VLJF.
Have you asked John Chapman for a pattern recommendation based on your frame? He has so much experience now that it might nudge you in a direction that you haven't considered.
Good luck!

D

Deleted member 16736

I haven't spoken to John in probably 1.5 years. My only contact is with Vickie, his assistant. When my final order is due, I'll probably ask to speak with him. The other option that was recommended was the Knopf. The Knopf is also available in a private purchase version with a rayon lining. I love the fit of the Knopf, but the collar is so large it looks a little clownish.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I haven't spoken to John in probably 1.5 years. My only contact is with Vickie, his assistant. When my final order is due, I'll probably ask to speak with him. The other option that was recommended was the Knopf. The Knopf is also available in a private purchase version with a rayon lining. I love the fit of the Knopf, but the collar is so large it looks a little clownish.

I'm not familiar with the Knopf (just taken a look at the website), so couldn't comment on fit, but some interesting details.
John will respond to e-mail (or PM through VLJF) if you want to communicate directly.
Have you considered the Dubow contracts? John has really nailed these well too.

D

Deleted member 16736

I'm not familiar with the Knopf (just taken a look at the website), so couldn't comment on fit, but some interesting details.
John will respond to e-mail (or PM through VLJF) if you want to communicate directly.
Have you considered the Dubow contracts? John has really nailed these well too.

I had a Dubow 1755 and it was a 48. Much too big. A Dubow 46 may work, but I found the Dubow a little bulbous. Maybe it's just that I had a big size that drooped off me.

From what I'm hearing, the Werber is probably the right contract. I just need it to be long enough in the sleeve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot