Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rrl doublerl Slim Fit Leather Moto Jacket

Status
Not open for further replies.

puiyc1203

One of the Regulars
rrl doublerl ralph lauren Slim Fit Leather Moto Jacket
this is the 3rd generation of the leather jacket worn by tom hardy in Venom movie, release 2024, china limited only 300 piece, around $2420, color brown to red brown compared to 2nd generation of grey
size m, chest 112, shoulder 47, body length 60, sleeve 63, (some modifications done on body length and sleeve catering to Chinese people fitting)
cowhide, from my experience of thedi, schott and all saints of cowhide, I thought that cowhide is thick, stiff and hard to break in. Normally i dont recommend one to buy cowhide. But this one is super soft, light and thin. this rrl ieather jacket is even softer than my freewheelers deerskin and groovin high lambskin. Very comfortable

图片_20240331130916.jpg
图片_20240331130937.jpg

图片_20240331130940.jpg

图片_20240331130942.jpg

图片_20240331130945.jpg

图片_20240331130951.jpg

图片_20240331130953.jpg

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
But this one is super soft, light and thin.
I've handled this jacket myself and I would go as far as to say it's flimsy, which is a shame.

RRL leather jackets from about a decade ago and older are great quality. Their leather was heavy and thick and they were very well made. They were high end fashion jackets. I've owned a handful of them, here's one example. Made in China. Back then these were about $1600 which was a lot of money but they were definitely worth it imo.

IMG_8175.jpeg
IMG_8176.jpeg

Nowadays RRL leather jackets are a joke. The leather is paper tin, hardware feels cheap and the distressing looks overdone imo. These made in India jackets are priced well above $2k but I'd be surprised if the production cost would surpass $200. A total money grab. These jackets should not be mentioned in the same sentence as Schott Thedi or Freewheelers.

Nowadays the Ralph Lauren jackets that are produced under the Polo brandline are of much higher quality than the RRL branded jackets. Still not close to the quality of the jackets they sold a decade ago but at least you'll get a decent product.

Polo jacket from last season.

IMG_4487.jpeg
IMG_4488.jpeg

puiyc1203

One of the Regulars
I've handled this jacket myself and I would go as far as to say it's flimsy, which is a shame.

RRL leather jackets from about a decade ago and older are great quality. Their leather was heavy and thick and they were very well made. They were high end fashion jackets. I've owned a handful of them, here's one example. Made in China. Back then these were about $1600 which was a lot of money but they were definitely worth it imo.

View attachment 603422 View attachment 603424

Nowadays RRL leather jackets are a joke. The leather is paper tin, hardware feels cheap and the distressing looks overdone imo. These made in India jackets are priced well above $2k but I'd be surprised if the production cost would surpass $200. A total money grab. These jackets should not be mentioned in the same sentence as Schott Thedi or Freewheelers.

Nowadays the Ralph Lauren jackets that are produced under the Polo brandline are of much higher quality than the RRL branded jackets. Still not close to the quality of the jackets they sold a decade ago but at least you'll get a decent product.

Polo jacket from last season.

View attachment 603426 View attachment 603427
The first generation of the venom leather jacket I think is released at 2013, this one is a made in China and it's a master piece with only 100 limited pieces. But it's second hand price nowadays is around $8000-10000. The made in China jackets beside this one are now worth over $3000.

image_editor_1711876348942.jpg

image_editor_1711876362975.jpg

In 2019, I have tried the 2nd generation of venom which is made in India, which is the replica of above mentioned. It is over distressing, no grains on the hide, and it is unlimited supply at all. So I know the made in India jackets these years are crap. it is a common sense. Of course I won't compare Indian ones with Freewheelers, but they are at the same level with fine Creek, y2, double helix, and schott. You argue for schott only because you have collected some jackets decades ago, but that's not accessible to most of us. The prevailing ones are still crap. The polo rl line is overpriced too only the purple label barely worth their price.

image_editor_1711876871559.jpg

As for the cowhide you mentioned, you could enumerate a lot of examples why one shall like cowhide. But people have different preferences. Sometimes I prefer lighter, thinner, easier to break in hides. Obviously most of cowhide cannot give me that result. You may argue again that then I shall not go for cowhide but goatskin lambskin instead. Correct, thats a way out. Another alternative is I tried this rrl jacket and it surprisingly met my needs. I could list a bunch of examples why most of cowhide jackets didn't work out on my side but that's pointless to persuade you right? So just don't try to persuade me or correct me with your personal experience, opinions and experience are distinctively personal. My enthusiasm on leather jacket is gradually diminishing. While you are making a climb to the top or from top of a hill to another hill, I have got almost all the things on my list and I am now on the descent.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
this one is a made in China and it's a master piece with only 100 limited pieces. But it's second hand price nowadays is around $8000-10000. The made in China jackets beside this one are now worth over $3000.
Honest question, how would you define value? Why would you say they're worth thousands of dollars?

Asking price for these Chrome Hearts jeans is $10k. To me they're worth 50 bucks.

IMG_8185.jpeg

and it is unlimited supply at all.
So limited production run means a jacket is more valuable? The Regius I've shown above is a 1 of 1. Must be worth a fortune :p.

but they are at the same level with fine Creek, y2, double helix, and schott.
We've had this discussion before but you never came back to substantiate your views on these brands. Double Helix makes beautiful jackets, great value too. Much nicer than these RRL jackets. You should read my review on the brand.

You argue for schott only because you have collected some jackets decades ago, but that's not accessible to most of us. The prevailing ones are still crap.

I own modern ones too, great jackets. I'd love to hear why you think they're crap.

IMG_7686.jpeg

As for the cowhide you mentioned, you could enumerate a lot of examples why one shall like cowhide. But people have different preferences. Sometimes I prefer lighter, thinner, easier to break in hides. Obviously most of cowhide cannot give me that result.
You should try Thedi's 'Canetto' cowhide.

I could list a bunch of examples why most of cowhide jackets didn't work out on my side but that's pointless to persuade you right? So just don't try to persuade me or correct me with your personal experience, opinions and experience are distinctively personal.
You don't have to persuade me on anything. I'm not trying to persuade you either. I'm just asking you to elaborate on your statement that you "don't recommended one to buy cowhide". Your insights might be helpful to people who are considering to buy a cowhide jacket.

While you are making a climb to the top or from top of a hill to another hill,
I'm missing your point. I like wearing leather jackets, from cheapo '70s jackets to more expensive modern or vintage ones. As long as they're interesting in one way or another.

puiyc1203

One of the Regulars
Honest question, how would you define value? Why would you say they're worth thousands of dollars?

Asking price for these Chrome Hearts jeans is $10k. To me they're worth 50 bucks.

View attachment 603514

So limited production run means a jacket is more valuable? The Regius I've shown above is a 1 of 1. Must be worth a fortune :p.

We've had this discussion before but you never came back to substantiate your views on these brands. Double Helix makes beautiful jackets, great value too. Much nicer than these RRL jackets. You should read my review on the brand.

I own modern ones too, great jackets. I'd love to hear why you think they're crap.

View attachment 603516

You don't have to persuade me on anything. I'm not trying to persuade you either. I'm just asking you to elaborate on your statement that you "don't recommended one to buy cowhide". Your insights might be helpful to people who are considering to buy a cowhide jacket.

I'm missing your point. I like wearing leather jackets, from cheapo '70s jackets to more expensive modern or vintage ones. As long as they're interesting in one way or another.
How would you define value regarding 10k chrome heart jean? I have already told you that we have very different opinions and experience, you rate it 50bucks I rate it 200, so do I have to explain to everyone why it worth the price or why it doesn't?

I have already made my point long time ago, but that's not the answer you want to hear only. Y2, fcl, double helix has very poor cutting especially fcl, fcl jackets of different style has the same horrible pattern and sizing, no underarm gusset, narrow shoulder, leftover hides as raw material, poor range of motion, awful indigo dye for y2 and double helix, the disastrous indigo a2 of double helix, very low 2nd hand transaction values, would you ever spend $1000 for a used y2, fcl, double helix? No you won't, you would barely offer $500 or 600, because that is their worth. If you are willing to buy at $1000, I can find twenty of these jackets for you to buy, 20 at least

To me, all the dealers selling double helix, fcl, brother bridge boots are unscrupulous. Selling products of these brands is like making money by feeding shit to customer mouth. Before you keep asking why, use your dialectic thinking to see if it is a fake proposition, if the answer is so obvious but you don't want to face it.

I am not even interested in the reason why you place higher value on Regius or Thedi's 'Canetto than rrl. Honestly speaking, I have my system to judge each jackets value. I am so sorry that I am just indifferent to what you have or what you shown. Maybe I am obstinate or some day in the future, I would try the Regius or Thedi's 'Canetto. But now I just don't care. That's the reason why in my last reply I advise you not to enumerate your examples. And you don't have to act like a child trying hard to prove me wrong or prove you're right. It's unfortunately irrelevant to me.

newtojackets

Practically Family

View attachment 603514

View attachment 603516

Which schott is that, is a beauty

Nykwil

One of the Regulars
How would you define value regarding 10k chrome heart jean? I have already told you that we have very different opinions and experience, you rate it 50bucks I rate it 200, so do I have to explain to everyone why it worth the price or why it doesn't?

I have already made my point long time ago, but that's not the answer you want to hear only. Y2, fcl, double helix has very poor cutting especially fcl, fcl jackets of different style has the same horrible pattern and sizing, no underarm gusset, narrow shoulder, leftover hides as raw material, poor range of motion, awful indigo dye for y2 and double helix, the disastrous indigo a2 of double helix, very low 2nd hand transaction values, would you ever spend $1000 for a used y2, fcl, double helix? No you won't, you would barely offer $500 or 600, because that is their worth. If you are willing to buy at $1000, I can find twenty of these jackets for you to buy, 20 at least

To me, all the dealers selling double helix, fcl, brother bridge boots are unscrupulous. Selling products of these brands is like making money by feeding shit to customer mouth. Before you keep asking why, use your dialectic thinking to see if it is a fake proposition, if the answer is so obvious but you don't want to face it.

I am not even interested in the reason why you place higher value on Regius or Thedi's 'Canetto than rrl. Honestly speaking, I have my system to judge each jackets value. I am so sorry that I am just indifferent to what you have or what you shown. Maybe I am obstinate or some day in the future, I would try the Regius or Thedi's 'Canetto. But now I just don't care. That's the reason why in my last reply I advise you not to enumerate your examples. And you don't have to act like a child trying hard to prove me wrong or prove you're right. It's unfortunately irrelevant to me.

200w.gif

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Could you elaborate?

Here's a Hermann Oak cowhide jacket. Weighs almost 3kg, feels absolutely bulletproof. Yes it's thick but it's not stiff at all and very easy to break in. I don't see what's not to like about this.

View attachment 603428
This is such a beauty! I particularly love the lining, which looks like it could have been cut from one of my Grandmother’s tablecloths.

El Marro

But now I just don't care. That's the reason why in my last reply I advise you not to enumerate your examples. And you don't have to act like a child trying hard to prove me wrong or prove you're right. It's unfortunately irrelevant to me.
Maybe there is some past history here that I missed out on but just from reading this thread it seems like you are taking everything Marc says quite personally and reacting accordingly.
That doesn’t seem warranted here, after all we come here to share our opinions and thoughts and to disagree from time to time.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
This is such a beauty! I particularly love the lining, which looks like it could have been cut from one of my Grandmother’s tablecloths.
Thanks, it was hard to decide on the lining as there are infinite Harris Tweed patterns and colors to choose from but I'm happy I went with this yellow / grey check. It really pairs nice with the somewhat dull (at least from the start) Hermann Oak leather.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
so do I have to explain to everyone why it worth the price or why it doesn't?
Well, in your posts you make a big deal about the supposed value of those jackets. You mention how much you paid for yours which is a weird thing to do imo. Anyways, money seems to be a big topic for you and since you stress it that much it's only natural for me to ask about your perception of value.

double helix has very poor cutting especially
This is simply not true. Their patterns are much more suitable for the western physique than other Japanese brands like FCL.
very low 2nd hand transaction values, would you ever spend $1000 for a used y2, fcl, double helix? No you won't, you would barely offer $500 or 600, because that is their worth. If you are willing to buy at $1000, I can find twenty of these jackets for you to buy, 20 at least
Again talks about money. I bought my Double Helix brand new and I couldn't care less about its resale value. Leather jackets are poor investment pieces, there are much better ways of spending your money if it's resale value that is important to you. Personally I care much more about the quality and fit of a jacket, I think most people here on TFL do.

Before you keep asking why, use your dialectic thinking to see if it is a fake proposition, if the answer is so obvious but you don't want to face it.
I don't know man. I visited the brother bridge store in Tokyo, I could share my thoughts about the brand and the quality of their shoes but judging by your comments I don't think you're actually interested in having a meaningful discussion.

I am not even interested in the reason why you place higher value on Regius or Thedi's 'Canetto than rrl.

I am so sorry that I am just indifferent to what you have or what you shown.

But now I just don't care. That's the reason why in my last reply I advise you not to enumerate your examples. And you don't have to act like a child trying hard to prove me wrong or prove you're right. It's unfortunately irrelevant to me.

The Fedora Lounge is a forum where people have discussions. If you're not interested in having discussions then what is it that you're here for? If you're only here to collect ooh’s and ah’s then why both making a thread / writing a review. Just post a pic of your jacket and leave it to that. Maybe Instagram would be a more suitable platform for you.

Blackadder

Well, in your posts you make a big deal about the supposed value of those jackets. You mention how much you paid for yours which is a weird thing to do imo. Anyways, money seems to be a big topic for you and since you stress it that much it's only natural for me to ask about your perception of value.

This is simply not true. Their patterns are much more suitable for the western physique than other Japanese brands like FCL.

Again talks about money. I bought my Double Helix brand new and I couldn't care less about its resale value. Leather jackets are poor investment pieces, there are much better ways of spending your money if it's resale value that is important to you. Personally I care much more about the quality and fit of a jacket, I think most people here on TFL do.

I don't know man. I visited the brother bridge store in Tokyo, I could share my thoughts about the brand and the quality of their shoes but judging by your comments I don't think you're actually interested in having a meaningful discussion.

The Fedora Lounge is a forum where people have discussions. If you're not interested in having discussions then what is it that you're here for? If you're only here to collect ooh’s and ah’s then why both making a thread / writing a review. Just post a pic of your jacket and leave it to that. Maybe Instagram would be a more suitable platform for you.
Ralph Lauren has downgraded all their stuffs in the past ten years or so. Polo line is downgraded to the discontinued Polo Jeans (Denim & Supply). RRL is what Polo used to be ten years ago. Purple label is Black label from ten years ago.
As for Brother Bridge, they first started making cheap Alden Red Wing alternatives at less than 50,000 yen.
https://item.rakuten.co.jp/footmonkey/bbb-e001-br/
I do not see a major change in the quality but they raised their prices when they changed the line up. You can find much better quality in Chausser and Skoob at around the same price point (I believe you have a pair of Chausser button boots). A pair of Japanese made Danner is of better quality at less than BB's price. For example, for 50,000 yen you can get a pair of Danner D1803 Horween CXL leather, Vibram half sole and stitch down construction.

puiyc1203

One of the Regulars

I have already told you I have my standards to value jacket, anything wrong to value it with resale price? No, you may not like these standards, but you should allow others to have it.

You may rate your girlfriend 10 of 10, I might rate her 4 or 5? But you keep asking me why,
she doesn't speak Chinese -1
She's over 20 -1
She's not a virgin -1
She's not single -1
She doesn't eat spicy hot pot -1

Then you argue "oh these can't be the reasons, I don't accept them, may be you should leave", why you are so dramatic, and you are even more communist than the communist

"I think most people in fdl do", "The Fedora Lounge is a forum where people have discussions" you don't need to ask the majority for help.

Double helix size 42 has a shoulder 46 chest 110, you're welcome to like it, I don't, it's too small for me, and it's provenance is unclear. Posts in Chinese forum question double helix may produce jacket in dongguan China but claimed to be a Japanese handmade brand.

Well, I do care about the price, I don't think anyone can disregard it. But even though the price for Freewheelers, real McCoy's, Eastman is high, I do recommend these brands. I am not buying jackets recklessly, I think about the cost, the cutting, the brand and the hide. If these are not meaningful to you, perhaps you shall rethink if your standards to value is too loose.

El Marro

You may rate your girlfriend 10 of 10, I might rate her 4 or 5? But you keep asking me why,
she doesn't speak Chinese -1
She's over 20 -1
She's not a virgin -1
She's not single -1
She doesn't eat spicy hot pot -1
If she doesn’t eat spicy hot pot then I don’t want anything to do with her. We’ll have to agree to disagree about the virgin thing though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner