Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rum Lovers - Good Quality Rums

LordBest

Practically Family
Pusser's Naval Rum, simply the finest rum I've tasted to date. I bought a bottle, then went out and bought one of their nifty little porcelain hip flasks.

D-503

Familiar Face
I have to second (or third) Havana Club Reserva. Bought a bottle when I was studying in Ireland and fell in love with it. Too bad it's unavailable in the States!

Any comparable (and reasonably priced) rums that you CAN buy in the United States?

Chas

One Too Many
D-503 said:
I have to second (or third) Havana Club Reserva. Bought a bottle when I was studying in Ireland and fell in love with it. Too bad it's unavailable in the States!

Any comparable (and reasonably priced) rums that you CAN buy in the United States?

Come up to Canada and visit. We're nice. You can get here. Buy a case and take it home.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
CopperNY said:
Ron Zacapa 23 Anos.

cane juice rather than molasses. solera method aging.

it's what i use to convince people that rum isn't just a 'mixer'.
I attended a Zacapa Rum tasting this evening which featured the 23 and the XO.

WOW!!!!

While the XO was sumptuous....I'll be buying a case of the 23....:p

savoy6

New in Town
capt. morgan ,in general,is for frat guys...lol....and their dark spiced tastes like cold medicine..
cruzan dark for mixing.....sailor jerry if you want something with more kick..
for sipping my favorite has got to be Pyrat XO...have about 8 empties downstairs...lol

Kishtu

Practically Family
Him Indoors has asked me to add something to this thread and it has gone out of my head :eek:

He is a big fan of the Guadeloupe (sp?) and Martinique rums. (Especially one called Corniche? Carniche?)
The French West Indian rums are a lot smoother than their British West Indian counterparts - you can drink the Guadeloupe rum neat without so much as a wince.

Bermudan rum - Gosling's?- also rather pleasant but preferanly in a Dark and Stormy!

Kishtu

Practically Family
It's me, the imfamous "Hairy Bloke".

As My Dearest says, I am into the French West-Indian rums. Kaneche, if I can get it, St James, when in France and I have a glass of J.Bally next to me.

These, I find, are smoother, than the British (a bit like comparing Irish and Scots whisk(e)ys).

I don't like white rums, but stick to the dark stuff.

Guadaloupe by choice, Martinique if I can't get it.

Here down in deepest, darkest Cornwall we have the "Constantine Stores", which has a huge selection of many spirits, but includes many rums. Jerry's in Old Compton St, in London is also very good, but didn't have any French west-indian last time I was there (admitidly several years ago).

All the best

SANTE!

The Hairy Bloke

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Tomasso said:

It was a great event from what little I can remember. :eek:

4636697331RaleighOasisRR102.jpg

AGPix_GrTePh23_0014.jpg

AGPix_GrTePh23_0017.jpg

AGPix_GrTePh23_0027.jpg

AGPix_GrTePh23_0021.jpg

AGPix_GrTePh23_0001.jpg

AGPix_GrTePh23_0013.jpg

AGPix_GrTePh23_0010.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Kishtu said:
Jerry's in Old Compton St, in London is also very good, but didn't have any French west-indian last time I was there.
Hey HB, when you next get to London be sure to stop by Cottons Rhum Shack which has the best selection of rum in the UK. It's operated by Ian Burrell, the UK Rum Ambassador, who is also the promoter of the upcoming UK Rumfest, one of the premier rum events in the world; which by the way sounds like a nice weekend holiday for you and the missus.;)

Corto

A-List Customer
I'm also a big Pusser's fan. I was very upset when they stopped distributing it in my state, but thanks to the magic of the internet that's no longer a problem. It was the first rum I'd ever tasted that had a fiery, harsh edge. I frequently make Grog with it, but more often I drink it neat- "Why hurt it?" as they say.

Kishtu

Practically Family
Er, yeah, thanks Tomasso, just what he needs lol an excuse to try out more varieties of rum!

Am slightly concerned by the fact that the FL Queen Mary event and the annual Miami rum festival seem to be round about the same time of year, since we are planning to attend the QM event in a couple of years' time....!!!

Hornby

New in Town
In Belfast we are extremely lucky to have a bar called the Spaniard. This wonderful place is dedicated to Rum.

It hosts one of only four Rum Clubs in the world (according to their website to be fair so who knows...) and on Saturday afternoon just past I finally joined.

The deal is this :

You are given a card on which are listed 25 different worldly Rums, you put your name on the card (right above a tantalizing space for a Tiki God name!) and your in. You then get to work your way through this list and discover each and every great Rum there is... and at cost price!
Once you have completed all 25 you are rechristened with a Tiki God name which is then engraved onto your very own Silver tankard and hung behind the bar from which only you are ever allowed to drink.
And in this tankard you get to drink some secret Rum that is kept in a locked casket above the bar!

Does this not sound like the absolute best way to earn a cheap 'silver' tankard with a funny name on it!! :)

The first strike from my list was a Mount Gay Eclipse served with Ginger and Lime and was such a good start I had two rather than just score another Rum from my target.

One down, twenty four to go!

H..*

Bustercat

A-List Customer
Pyrat XO. Went on a rum reconnaissance mission at my local tiki bar. Tried everything but their stash of original British Navy rations.
Never liked rum before as anything but a mixer till I tried this stuff, now it's all I drink there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot