Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

S.O.S Hair dye disaster

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
I shaved my head once after a bad perm lol I was in college and I was trying to grow out my hair. I get bored easily, so I thought a perm would be a fun way to keep from cutting it off.

My hair was damaged from all the coloring and what not, but it passed the "tug" test, so the stylist went ahead. She left the solution on for 5 minutes and my hair was fried! The same strand of hair would be curly then straight then curly. I looked like a poodle that stuck its paw in an electric socket! It was so dry hunks broke off when I tried to comb through it after a shower.

I couldn't stand it, so I had my head buzzed :p At least I had a good looking head and face :rolleyes:

I had another incident that made me want to cry. I spent 3 years growing my hair from that buzz to shoulder length for my wedding. I came back from the honeymoon, and really needed a trim. The first couple of inches were pretty badly damaged and the sun and chlorine made it worse. Of course my hairdresser was out of town, but I figured anyone could do a trim, what could go wrong?

I asked for 2-3 inches to be cut off, and slightly layered so that I could do the flippy out thing in the back. OMG, my hair was only 3 inches long when he was done! If that long even! To make it worse, he made it all pouffy like some bad 90's soap opera! I didn't have my contacts in, and I am blind as a bat without my glasses, so I couldn't see what was going on. When I put my glasses on I just about died. All my hard work was sitting in a pile on the floor! :eek:

I tried to grow it out after that, cut it off again to the short punky style I posted else where, and now I have it down to my chin. I keep wanting to cut it off though, since I do like it short. This in between is driving me nuts!

So I can sympathize with bad hair experiences, Mildred, I have been there too lol

texasgirl

One Too Many
Girl Friday said:
I found this in a magazine today and I remembered this thread and seems like the was another one somewhere...

http://www.developlus.com/products/coloroops/index.html

Available at drug and grocery stores!

Someone just mentioned this in another thread but I can't find it. Anyway, I just read in Good Housekeeping that they tested this and it really does work! They tested light brown swatches dyed black with both permanent and semi-permanent color. They returned to their original shade.

Lilredrooster

Familiar Face
Im a 5th generatioin cosmo and i have has a few bad color jobs as a kid, what i have done (as well as every one in my family) is wet down the hair and have her bend over the tub or sink, and "wash" her hair with powder laundry soap, it will get hot in your hads when you rub them together but you should see the color being pulled out, just MAKE SURE when you are done you put a good conditioner on and let it set for a few min, it will dry out the hair a little but it should get most of the color out. always wored for me.

Antje

One Too Many
Don't buy another pack, but go to your hairdresser,

because if you are too orange or red,they will dye your hair with a little green trough it.

because green gets red away and your collor wil turn normal again

succes

antje

Blondie

Practically Family
i have bleached blonde hair, when i used to use a toner and didn't like the results i would use warm olive oil on my hair,leave it on for 10 minutes, then wash it with dishwashing liquid ! The warm olive oil opens the hair shaft and then it's easier to wash it out .........

lyburnum

Practically Family
Hairdressers are really the best option. They'll colour correct the hair, choosing the opposite colour to red from the colour wheel to neutralise the colour. I wouldn't recommend re-dying it with brown, as a lot of browns have reds in them already, and if you over-dye it the reds will just combine and still show through. You can also get correcting shampoos for it - my sister uses a blue toned shampoo to correct the brassy tones in her blonde hair and keep it looking lovely and fresh. My hairdresser told me that should I ever dye my hair a colour I thought was too strong, to wash my hair with washing up liquid, as it's much stronger it will strip the colour faster - not recommended for daily use however!

I've had some real hair disasters in my time - the worst was actually the hairdressers fault - I had to have all my shoulder length hair cut off because she left the bleach in too long and my hair turned to elastic. It would literally float away as I brushed it. I cried for days.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
wow

:eek:fftopic:

GOK said:
Mind you, he also got one for being the most accident prone, after breaking his collar bone and then his wrist in short succession! And yes, at 17, he still skateboards! lol

I'll bety you're glad you have the Health! If I had two broken bones in a year, i would probably lose my house.

Fleur de vanité

New in Town
I would let it grow out,I wouldn't suggest trying to recolor your hair right after dying it.

You could always check out Sally Beauty Supply they have these spray on colors I think they are about $7 and they have so many colors to choose from.

Or,if you are in a complete hurry as a last resort you could go to your local salon and have them strip your hair,but be prepared for super damaged and brittle hair.

If you're completely embarrassed you could always purchase a wig for when you go out.

I hope these suggestions help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran