Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sad Note from Dean Mora

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Got this email today from one of my favorite band leaders:

Message From Dean Mora

May 10, 2008

I'm writing to all of you to let you know about an announcement I made at the end of our show at the Cicada Club back on April 27th (and please accept my apology for the delay, as I had experienced major Internet connectivity issues during these past two weeks)...

I had announced that I will be breaking up Mora's Modern Rhythmists at the end of 2008, after a 14-year run (yes, it has been 14 years!). The decision to make this announcement was spurred on by the current health crises in my family, particularly that of my mother, who is seriously ill with lung cancer; the immediate result of this situation is the increasing requirements of my time and energy towards the care and (God willing) recovery of Mom. Only time will tell the outcome.

It seems that it has to take events of a catastrophic nature in order to get one to reflect about the fragility of life, and of the need to fully appreciate our friends and family in good times as well as bad. Speaking on my own behalf, I consider myself blessed for being in the company of such talented and gifted musicians in my band over the years, and of the many friends and fans I've met from around the world. For this I am extremely grateful to know you all.

However, as sad as this news may appear, we're not leaving right away. Mora's Modern Rhythmists will be performing in a number of events this summer, and the newly-formed Dean Mora & His Orchestra will continue to perform (as well as the Swingtet), although in a limited capacity. We also have plans for recording one more new CD before the year is out (more info on that in subsequent newsletters). In addition, next year we will release a Commemorative CD which will contain many never-before-released tracks, as well as tunes recorded live from our shows over the past 14 years.

Of course it would be premature to assume that I will be gone forever -- my love for this music is too great to quit "cold turkey"; chances are good that I may return with a new organization sometime in the future. But right now I need to take care of things on the "home front".

A heartfelt THANK-YOU goes out to all those who have attended our shows over the years, and I look forward to seeing you on the dance floor soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn