Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

safety of chrome tanned leathet or any type of leather

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sure, but the OP was specifically taking about human sweat releasing the Chromium from chrome tanned leather goods, nobody is saying being exposed to it in drinking water would be a good thing but is sweating while wearing a chrome tanned jacket releasing the chromium 6 and then exposing the wearer?

We need to see a link to that study

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah, that is interesting. I don't think we need to fly into a panic and sell off our chrome tanned leather jackets though.

"The samples were then mixed with human sweat at 30 degrees C for 12 h."

"The data from these analyses show that no detectable levels (limit of detection = 0.010 ppm) of Cr(VI) were leached from COPR containing 16 ppm Cr(VI). At Cr(VI) concentrations of 136 and 1240 ppm, less than 0.1% of the Cr(VI) present in the COPR sample was extracted into sweat, and sweat concentrations were 0.133 ppm Cr(VI) or less"

"These results suggest that ACD is unlikely to occur as a result of environmental exposure to the COPR"

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Plenty of reading material out there (too much to summarise adequately), some stating the trivalent chromium is not really implicated in leather tanning; that hexavalent chromium is not an issue with modern techniques; that it can’t be entirely ruled out where poor quality leather (I.e. poorly tanned leather or involving older methods) is used.

I will take your chrome tanned leather and spare you a miserable death. Send them to me now before it’s too late. Every minute you spend with your jackets is taking precious minutes from your life.
PS. I will pay for shipping. And as a way of making things fair, I will send you a case of Diet Coke.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
wear denim jacket under your leather jacket, indigo is a known antiseptic :D and pop the collar up to shield the back of your neck ... now where do I get a pair of denim socks for my feet:eek: i don't want to be killed by my boots

mtrlr

One of the Regulars
Man, wrong question in a forum full of leather jacket "fanatics".

Anyway, will I see a lot of new for-sale ads with deep discount soon from the worried people?

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
One thing I've wondered about from time to time is the "scent" some jackets have. I'm not talking about the odor of an unclean jacket, but the scent of the leather itself. My understanding is what we pick up with our noses isn't really the leather but a residual odor from the chemical tanning process.

I store most of my jackets on a rack in the basement next to a dehumidifier. When I enter that room, I definitely pick up a nice leather bouquet.

Some jackets have a stronger scent than others. For example, I can smell my Vanson Comet across the room. It's fairly powerful and strikes me as more "chemical" than most of my other jackets. The Comet is 16 years old, so that scent is permeated in the leather.

Now, I'm still going to wear the jacket and not worry too much about it. But I sometimes wonder if the chemical odors the jackets give off are at all harmful.

The only problem scent I have encountered is with a used leather jacket where the previous owner wore to much Polo cologne..... that's a real carcinogen!!!!

high-maintenance

One of the Regulars
well I supposed it should be okay...
People wear leather shoes all the time right? (and they are lined in leather!)
Most leather jackets have cotton/sateen lining so we dont really make direct contact...

Plus it seems that trivalent chromium is considered safe compared to hexavalent and transition from 3 to 6 rarely occurs unless there is extreme heat, pH change, or chemical alteration...

It seems that it is impossible to eliminate the hexavelent Cr naturally occuring from the chrome tanned leather but as long as they are kept under certain level, it should be fine I suppose...

So all in all, as long as the chrome tanned leather is from a reliable tannery, we are good to go...

Although... my next jacket will be made in vicenza...

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
I would be more concerned about the effects of chrome tanned leather if I worked in a tannery.
If you're really worried, you could try brain tanned leather but brains are getting hard to find nowadays.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I would be more concerned about the effects of chrome tanned leather if I worked in a tannery.
If you're really worried, you could try brain tanned leather but brains are getting hard to find nowadays.
Since we only need about 10% of it or so I heard, i guess we all have some to spare for tanning jackets:)

Deacon211

One Too Many
After watching documentaries like this,

https://thedevilweknow.com

wherein the particularly worrisome chemical in Scotchguard and Goretex was found in the bloodstream of populations completely on the other side of the world (and not given to wearing fashionable performance gear), I think you are already screwed.

On the the other hand, if you’re a size 46...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

barnabus

One Too Many
OK fellas, I worked for more than 25 years in a chromium plating business. A business utilising CrVI which was rendered into a solution from solid granules. I handled hundreds of kilos of solid, and was surrounded by thousands of litres of chromium solution heated to around 55 degrees C. For 25 years.

I was also responsible for Health & Safety and environmental compliance, so was genned up to the eyeballs with scientific, medical and regulatory information.

I knew and worked with many individuals who had been in that environment for much longer than I was, and who had started working with the chemistry decades before the levels of personal and environmental safety I was familiar with were implemented. I don't know of anyone who contacted cancer as a result.

I appreciate this is all anecdotal information, and not a scientific study, but:

I AM NOT WORRIED I WILL GET CANCER FROM CHROMIUM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto