Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sanitizing used hats?

carldelo

One Too Many
Reuse or burn

Lon Goval said:
Isn't that putting VOCs into the atmosphere. Something about the "hole in the ozone" deal or greenhouse problem. Would it be better to burn the fuel?

If possible, reuse the fuel - I seem to remember my dad pouring white gas through a fine mesh sieve before it went into the Coleman stove. Elsewise, I would bet that it's better to burn the fuel than let it evaporate. One of the main combustion products is H2O, so at least some of the hydrocarbons are turned to water. Raw fuel evaporating into the atmosphere will get broken up by time and UV and turn into who knows what compounds, most of which are probably bad. Even so, I'll wager the amount of VOC from all the hat cleaning in the world probably doesn't amount to more than a few dozen cows-worth of greenhouse gas emissions over the course of a year...

Just saw the coffee filter suggestion above - that sounds like just the ticket...

barrowjh

One Too Many
I always reuse the fuel - I pour it through a cloth draped over a funnel into the can. I do not pour all of it through the cloth; when it gets to the very last ounce or so, I can see that this last bit is really full of shellac, grease, grit, etc, so I pour it out onto the ground. It evaporates very quickly, and leaves no significant stain.

I warm the fuel up before use by setting the can in a sink with hot water.

Ande1964

Practically Family
Storing Coleman Fuel in Plastic?

I'm reviving this thread to ask about storage for Coleman fuel. Do you guys keep it stored in plastic five gallon containers? I bought a bucket to keep the Coleman fuel in, and to soak my hats, but then I started to wonder about the plastic container reacting with the Coleman fuel.

Thanks,
Anj

GWD

One Too Many
Ande1964 said:
I'm reviving this thread to ask about storage for Coleman fuel. Do you guys keep it stored in plastic five gallon containers? I bought a bucket to keep the Coleman fuel in, and to soak my hats, but then I started to wonder about the plastic container reacting with the Coleman fuel.

Thanks,
Anj

It's no problem whatsoever Ande. I keep my fuel in a Covered 5 gallon plastic container with no ill effects.

Have a good one!

tealseal

A-List Customer
Hi all,
Today I found a "new" hat in a thrift store. It's my first hat that isn't Properly New. What steps do you experienced used/vintage hat buyers take to make the hat ready for you to wear (assuming it's in decent shape and brushes clean)? Do you worry about cleaning the inside a bit, conditioning the sweat, etc. or just plop it on your noggin and go on your way?
Another way to ask: Do I need to do anything to my new-to-me hat prior to wearing it?

All the best.

Maybe this will bite me in the quarter panel one of these days, but I have little fear of whatever cooties might be lurking in or on an old hat, or most any other used item of attire, for that matter.

Some advise putting an old hat in a plastic bag and throwing it in the freezer for a day or two, to kill whatever creepy crawlies it might be harboring. I can't see how that would do any harm, but I suspect that rare is the occasion it does any good.

This opinion is worth exactly what it cost you, tealseal. When I hear about bedbugs (which I've never encountered, thank goodness), I think there may be a chance I'm a tad too cavalier.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Put it in the freezer for a day or two just in case of moths (I do that with all new bits I bring in, where possible). It's surprisngly pleasant on a hot day to come home and put a hat fresh from the freezer on your head, too! Otherwise, just wear it I'm not afraid of cooties getting me (as a baldy, there's nothing for 'em to latch onto), but I'd hate to see a nice hat ruined by moths.

EggHead

Practically Family
Lexol is best? I just use vegetable oil.
As far as the hat goes, I vacuum all used hats inside and out, then brush. Rub insides with damp cloth, outside, steam or spray with water to shape it.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I clean my sweatbands with baby wipes because they are alcohol-free, and are made, after all, to remove putrefaction from the bottom of said small people with no ill effects to their sensitive posteriors. The liners can be wiped down with the baby wipes or sprayed with Febreze.

Mystic

Practically Family
It is a brand name. The type I use is a rub on product and I rub it on with a light rag.

Thanks. I stopped by a Ace Hardware today and they had the product. the spray looked to be better suited for larger areas like maybe auto seats. Not for a small confined area like inside a hat.
I suppose that if you have been using it it must not have done any harm or caused any problems.

One thing that kind of puzzled me. On the bottom of the label side with instructions it read. Not to be used on soft leather....or something to that wording.

I would think a sweat in a older quality hat would be considered soft leather.

Mystic

Practically Family
As stated earlier = I usually follow up with a Lexol leather conditioner wipe to take care of the effects on the leather.

Where do you buy Lexol wipes?
Do you apply Lexol to both sides of the sweat?

I was in a Ace hardware today and saw the spray and rub on Lexol, but there were no wipes.
I hadn't read your comment before stopping in the Ace so I didn't know to ask a clerk about the Lexol wipes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21