Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sara and Gerald Murphy: "Living Well Is the Best Revenge."

Story

I'll Lock Up
The Art of Friendship
Yale Exhibit On Stylish 1920s Couple Captures Spirit Of The Lost Generation
By FRANK RIZZO | Courant Staff Writer
February 22, 2008

Everyone wanted to be Sara and Gerald Murphy's friend. And who wouldn't? They were a captivating couple: stylish, fun, warm and supportive, and they made living an art unto itself.

They were the golden American couple of the expatriate movement in the '20s, with their home in the South of France a haven for artists, musicians and writers of the "Lost Generation." The Murphys were the models for Dick and Nicole Diver in F. Scott Fitzgerald's 1934 novel "Tender Is the Night." Sara's beauty and elegant style was an inspiration for Pablo Picasso. Gerald brought modernism into his home and lifestyle.

A traveling exhibit, "Making It New: The Art and Style of Sara and Gerald Murphy, re-creates that era of personal freedom, artistic innovation and infinite possibilities as seen through the eyes of a couple who were just one step away from the spotlight. We might not identify with the genius of Picasso or Fitzgerald or Ernest Hemingway, but seeing the period through such a personal perspective makes the era both intimate and accessible.

Complete article at
http://www.courant.com/entertainment/museums/galleries/hc-murphys.artfeb22,0,4527101.story

MAKING IT NEW: THE ART AND STYLE OF SARA AND GERALD MURPHY runs Tuesday through May 4 at Yale University Art Gallery, 1111 Chapel St., New Haven. Admission is free and open to the public. Hours are Tuesdays through Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Thursday until 8 p.m.; Sundays, 1 to 6 p.m. Information: 203-432-0600.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for posting. The article inspired me to check out a couple of books by Fitzgerald. I'm enjoying "The Offshore Pirate."

Mojito

One Too Many
Would dearly love to see the exhibition - they're a fascinating couple, at least as representative as their friends, the Fitzgeralds, of that particular social and historical milieu. Hope someone here visits!

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Thanks for posting that. I'm currently re-reading Hemingway: The Homecoming biography and the Murphys figure prominently in it, which is the third of five Ernest Hemingway bios by the late Michael Reynolds. The Murphy piece is nice supplemental reading.

EDIT: Nice repro of Murphy's painting, Watch. I've always liked it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo