Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SAW 5

dr greg

One Too Many
So there I am sitting on my stall at the markets, business is OK, three hats and several hawaiian shirts have gone to appreciative customers at good prices, when the guy from the stall next door comes over, and says he's been after a new hat for a while and he just sold some stuff so he's cashed up, anyway, he tries on a few and settles for a mint condition Royal Stetson Highway, size 55, which is good for me as smaller sizes are hard to shift.
It's Xmas and I know the guy quite well, so I let it go for $30, and the deal is done....next minute he whips out a pocket knife and quicker than a seasoned trawlerman can gut a fish, completely disembowels the hat!
Liner, sweatband, ribbon, the lot, all gone, just felt remaining.....What the * did you do that for, I gasped, I hate all that stuff, he replies, don't need it, you keep it all or I'll chuck it in the bin, then walks off to stand in the rain so he can wet it to start reblocking on the spot....well what can I say, a man should be able to do what he wants with something paid for with his own money, unlike say, a hedge fund, but I was a bit shocked, stunned in fact, that he should treat a hat in that way...perhaps I'm a bit precious about it, being a lidophile (TM), but business is business, not my problem once the sale is done I suppose....anyway now I'm left with the makings of a pretty good Stetson should another gutted one turn up.....

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Yes, once the deal is done the new owner may of course do as he wishes... but on the other hand, doing a favor for an acquaintance, such as giving a particularly good deal on the price, might imply to some a certain discretion as to the disposition of the item.

Ah well. Rise above.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo