Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scarcity of Roles for People of Color

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Sessue Hayakawa also played football for the University of Chicago (he was a quarterback) where he was once penalized for using jiujitsu to stop an opposing player.
Where did you come by that tidbit? Just curious as Chicago is my alma mater.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
The costume stereotypes come mostly from vaudeville and comic strips -- a quick shorthand way of defining the character, rather than wasting time on long expository passages. ...That might strike modern audiences as lazy at best and demeaning at worst -- but it kept stories moving.

That's exactly what I was thinking! They do keep stories going smoothly, and (shoot me for admitting this) they are pretty funny... Especially the Pepé le Pew type Frenchman lol Every culture is made fun of like this, though, sometimes by its own culture. Most of it shouldn't be taken too seriously (of course, there are exceptions.)

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
Totally agreed! And what's more is that you shouldn't take yourself too seriously...

As a halfbreed, I'm half Apache, Irish and Polish... So in other words I like to drink, fight with my family and friends....then go scalp people???:eeek: Nah, not really. But sometimes on a bad day I would really like to bring a tomahawk to work!!;)[huh]

But back to roles... I have to say that when you have actors that are the quality of such greats as Morgan Freeman... I mean just listen to his voice and look at the roles he's played, the man is iconic!

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
Totally agreed! And what's more is that you shouldn't take yourself too seriously...

As a halfbreed, I'm half Apache, Irish and Polish... So in other words I like to drink, fight with my family and friends....then go scalp people???:eeek: Nah, not really. But sometimes on a bad day I would really like to bring a tomahawk to work!!;)[huh]

But back to roles... I have to say that when you have actors that are the quality of such greats as Morgan Freeman... I mean just listen to his voice and look at the roles he's played, the man is iconic!

lol! I'm mixed myself. If we stuck to stereotypes, that would mean I would be a drinker (Irish), a Viking (Norwegian), a beer maiden at Oktoberfest (German), and a Geisha (Japanese). :p I haven't worn a kimono since I was in elementary school! Oh boy! [huh]

Don't forget James Earl Jones, who has the best voice in Hollywood hands down! An amazing talented actor!

JamesEarlJones.jpg

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
Totally! How could I forget!

For petesake he's the voice of Darth Vader! One of the most famous characters in movie history!

I also remember him in the movie Clear and Present Danger....Yes I got all teared up and pissed during his funeral!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy