Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scarecrow Yah Ta Hey leathers

Arrandale

One of the Regulars
For example, is a double motorcycle jacket made of kangaroo leather available? A jacket like the one in the photo, I mean.

Attachments

• E94744C5-8C84-4B2B-9325-5410F0A7D556.jpeg
    E94744C5-8C84-4B2B-9325-5410F0A7D556.jpeg
    269 KB · Views: 70

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For example, is a double motorcycle jacket made of kangaroo leather available? A jacket like the one in the photo, I mean.

You could get it comissioned by many makers, Johnson leather can most likely deal with such an order for example.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
I think only modern motorcycle racing suits are made from kangaroo leather. Thin, to reduce the weight, I think max is 1.2 mm, most are probably 1.0 mm. For casual jackets kangaroo leather is 0.8 mm, that is enough! Aero offered kangaroo leather more than 3 years ago, but no longer. I inquired. and they said the hides are too small and matching panels is very difficult. I contemplated a custom kangaroo jacket, but just the hides alone would cost around $1000 at retail when I looked. But worth asking Alan at JL, for sure! He's a pro!

Arrandale

One of the Regulars
Oh, yes. Alan Zaffrin of Johnson Leather will make a jacket from polar bear hide as long as the leather is available .

Arrandale

One of the Regulars
Oh, My God! That’s even worse than Langlitz stopped talking direct orders from Japan.
Japan is the only country in the world that cannot buy Langlitz jackets directly. For example Langlitz takes direct orders from Zimbabwe, Somalia, Afganistan, China, North Korea as long as they put direct orders.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
In this case the California politicians decided that kangaroo hides are not harvested humanely and so they banned them. You can get a kangaroo biker jacket from Australia:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
@Arrandale Kangaroo jackets are a bit hyped. The material would be used "in combination" with cow hide for race race suits. It just offers high abrasion resistance at thinner thickness. If you look up the leather race suits from dainese and spidi you will see them. These top end race suits are really built for one crash only, but the teams have sponsors money so they don't care.
Kangaroo leather is less than 2oz thick. You can buy them from Maverick Leather (in Oregon). Any non-Californian maker can make you a jacket in that material. But I doubt it has higher abrasion numbers than say 3.5oz cowhide. Kangaroo leather is also used in some drums (musical instrument).
I think you are covered in the tough leather department with your 7oz bull hide. With the sheep liner which I assume is about 2.5oz plus fur, it will likely stop small caliber bullet shot from very far.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
@Arrandale Kangaroo jackets are a bit hyped. The material would be used "in combination" with cow hide for race race suits. It just offers high abrasion resistance at thinner thickness. If you look up the leather race suits from dainese and spidi you will see them. These top end race suits are really built for one crash only, but the teams have sponsors money so they don't care.
Kangaroo leather is less than 2oz thick. You can buy them from Maverick Leather (in Oregon). Any non-Californian maker can make you a jacket in that material. But I doubt it has higher abrasion numbers than say 3.5oz cowhide. Kangaroo leather is also used in some drums (musical instrument).
I think you are covered in the tough leather department with your 7oz bull hide. With the sheep liner which I assume is about 2.5oz plus fur, it will likely stop small caliber bullet shot from very far.

High end racing suits are made of only Kangaroo skin, mine from BKS is 1.2mm thick on average. They aren't built for one crash only, they can be repaired.

In moto gp, they probably change them all the time because the cost is negligible at that level.

And yes Kangaroo hide is easily more abrasion resistant than double the thickness in cowhide.

Is it worhtwhile to have a jacket made of it? That is another question.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
You probably need six roo hides for one jacket (about 7 sq ft each) at about $100 per hide retail. Thicker hides (1.2-1.4 mm) cost more. Too rich for me, for sure.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
You probably need six roo hides for one jacket (about 7 sq ft each) at about $100 per hide retail. Thicker hides (1.2-1.4 mm) cost more. Too rich for me, for sure.
You can also use the kangaroo leather at strategic stress and abrasion points to reinforce the jacket, using less leather overall for close to the same level of protection.

Arrandale

One of the Regulars
Thank you for such a thorough and detailed answer. I’m not a racer, as a matter of fact my job is to treat those who crashed, a plastic surgeon.
When Schott 184SM was imported in Japan and sold at Ameyoko, a cluster of small shops in Ueno, Tokyo I fell in love with it because the leather was so thick. I believe it was actually 3 ounce or so but it was significantly thicker than Japanese leather jackets. Before American made leather jackets I bought an N2-B type jacket from Howard, a Japanese shop. The leather was thin as paper.
Johnson Leather is an astonishing maker and Mr. Alan Zaffrin, the owner is the most flexible versatile maker I know of, and his jackets and coats are so much better than the famous Langlitz.

Arrandale

One of the Regulars
High end racing suits are made of only Kangaroo skin, mine from BKS is 1.2mm thick on average. They aren't built for one crash only, they can be repaired.

In moto gp, they probably change them all the time because the cost is negligible at that level.

And yes Kangaroo hide is easily more abrasion resistant than double the thickness in cowhide.

Is it worhtwhile to have a jacket made of it? That is another question.

Arrandale

One of the Regulars
Kevlar reinforced rods are said to be 10 times stronger than steel rods when compared at the same weight. But I prefer high carbon steel anyway.
The same thing might be said about Kangaroo leather and bullhide. If I wanted a very strong, anti-abrasive garment I’ll choose Spectra guard jacket, which I actually have.

Attachments

• AB26406A-6C6C-411D-AE98-E222FBFE96DF.jpeg
    AB26406A-6C6C-411D-AE98-E222FBFE96DF.jpeg
    349 KB · Views: 53

Arrandale

One of the Regulars

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Here I thought, you only need one roo, jut cut the tail for reinforcement patches and put on zipper you can have a seamless 1 piece racing suit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925