Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott 689H too big. How bad is it? suggestions?

Johnny_d

New in Town
I just picked up a beautiful Schott 689H for 120 euros. Problem is it's one size too big. At least. Shoulders feel almost right but it's quite a bit too big everywhere else, which makes it comfortable to wear actually. By the way, this is the size the Schott website suggests when I put my info into their calculator...

It's in great shape except that it's missing the belts on the side. I realize that makes it fit even bigger as I can't tighten it up on the sides at all.
I contacted Schott and could get replacements for $100, then would have to pay a tailor in Belgium to install them. I realize though if I try to sell it it won't go for much since it's not original belts. Not sure if it'd sell a bit more having the belts replaced versus as is...?

What do you think, is it worth it? How off does it look to you?
Sorry for the terrible photos... in a hotel at the moment.

Attachments

• Schott 1.jpg
    Schott 1.jpg
    633 KB · Views: 704
  • Schott 2.jpg
    Schott 2.jpg
    623.6 KB · Views: 676
  • Schott 3.jpg
    Schott 3.jpg
    556.6 KB · Views: 600
  • Schott 4.jpg
    Schott 4.jpg
    541.6 KB · Views: 604
  • Schott 5.jpg
    Schott 5.jpg
    683.2 KB · Views: 654

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
Will the seller accept returns? Otherwise, resell it and look for something else or another size, because as you say it is too big for you.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I don't think it's bad.

Slweces, body length, shoulders look about right. It's got some room around the waist, and if you had the adjusters you could deal with that. For $120 I'd say that you can economically repair the missing adjusters and wear it.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I usually wear a 42, but for Schott I can usually size down; this is a 40. The fit is snug, glove-like. Maybe I could wear a 42, but I think I'm dialed in here.

Attachments

• IMG_20220423_083259_8_1.jpg
    IMG_20220423_083259_8_1.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 582
  • IMG_20220423_083318_2_1.jpg
    IMG_20220423_083318_2_1.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 549
  • IMG_20220423_083323_6_1.jpg
    IMG_20220423_083323_6_1.jpg
    346.6 KB · Views: 609

Johnny_d

New in Town
I don't think it's bad.

Slweces, body length, shoulders look about right. It's got some room around the waist, and if you had the adjusters you could deal with that. For $120 I'd say that you can economically repair the missing adjusters and wear it.
One thing about that option is I'd also feel better about selling it if I could replace the adjusters with official Schott ones.
And maybe with the adjusters it's livable and I'm still only in around 250 euros for a beautiful coat. I have some pretty puffy sweaters so maybe I can just keep it for winter time and layering.
Or, god forbid, I get more fat......
Funny the guy I bought it from was an older Belgian gentleman much smaller than me. Maybe it was his son's or something.

Why anyone would chop off the side belts (especially on a jacket like this) is beyond me. They don’t do a whole helluva lot anyway. I think it looks fine in the shoulders, length is good, entirely too much gut room. I’d move this one along and find a size or two down the chart.

Johnny_d

New in Town
Why anyone would chop off the side belts (especially on a jacket like this) is beyond me. They don’t do a whole helluva lot anyway. I think it looks fine in the shoulders, length is good, entirely too much gut room. I’d move this one along and find a size or two down the chart.
Yeah very odd. Wonder what he was thinking to cut them off.

I wonder if this cut just isn't really for my body type then. I have a feeling by the time the waist would be right, ie 2 sizes down or so, it'd start to be tight on my shoulders. I guess I should just see if I kind find a Schott store over here.

This is a 44 by the way and my chest is 43". 5'11" and 180 pounds or 180cm and 80 kg. Somewhat athletic build.

I think I will replace the adjusters so that I can feel good about selling it or just keep it as a spare or something. This is my first quality leather jacket and now after reading this website a bit I'm very curious about getting an Aero. Though, I do really like the aesthetics of this visually. Aero's are cheaper here in Europe though and I've been reading a lot of great things about them.

The other option would be to try to get it tailored but I haven't read a lot of positive opinions about that.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Problem with leather garments is that when they are too large they generally look unflattering. Like you are packing a sawed-off shotgun underneath if you get my drift. I agree - move it on and look for something smaller.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It doesn’t look bad, before I got into leather jackets and wearing clothes that fit me better I would have thought your jacket was a perfect fit. Aside from it being one size too big I think it’s also probably not the best pattern for you. It is clearly made with a lot of extra room in the gut and since you have an athletic build you can wear something that is cut a bit trimmer.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
If you’re going to spend the money for side cinch might as well just have it tailored. It’s an easy job for most moto leather shops. Then it will look very custom. The shoulder looked fine. If you downsize (2x) the shoulder will not fit. The boxy body cut is meant to get as many customers as possible by covering at least two to three Jeans size range.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Personally i would sell and move on.
I have a Schott with a similar fit, 42" chest, had to buy size 42 so that i had enough length but that gave me an oversized fit in the stomach similar to yours.
I had that tailored, they tapered the jacket from the pits down, it still never fit right.
The side straps are also not as useful as one might think, if you try to tighten them all the way the jacket looks like crap.

XxXnPlm.jpg

SWjW8au.jpg

zbOIdMs.jpg

Johnny_d

New in Town
If you’re going to spend the money for side cinch might as well just have it tailored. It’s an easy job for most moto leather shops. Then it will look very custom. The shoulder looked fine. If you downsize (2x) the shoulder will not fit. The boxy body cut is meant to get as many customers as possible by covering at least two to three Jeans size range.
Ah you suggest finding a moto shop to resize it? That's a good tip i was just looking around for regular tailors that did leather.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Ah you suggest finding a moto shop to resize it? That's a good tip i was just looking around for regular tailors that did leather.

Honestly not worth it.
They money you spend on it will be lost as a tailored/modified jacket is pretty much worthless.
If you want to keep it, keep it as an oversized jacket that you wear with thick winter jumpers, but tailoring is never going to make it 100% right.

Johnny_d

New in Town
Honestly not worth it.
They money you spend on it will be lost as a tailored/modified jacket is pretty much worthless.
If you want to keep it, keep it as an oversized jacket that you wear with thick winter jumpers, but tailoring is never going to make it 100% right.
Thanks I appreciate that feedback.

Johnny_d

New in Town
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'm going to fix it and sell it.
And in the meantime I'm shopping for another jacket.

Can anyone recommend a similar style jacket with a much slimmer profile?

Last edited:

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'm going to fix it and sell it.
And in the meantime I'm shopping for another jacket.

Can anyone recommend a similar style jacket with a much slimmer profile?

Uh, where to start…

You can get a similar style from pretty much every maker, and I am sure you’ll be flooded with suggestions in no time.
Really depends on your budget and preferences re leather (heavy-light; stiff-pliable; shiny-matte etc.).

Some options you might consider (you will find pix on TFL for all examples):
- Lost Worlds “Ryder”
- Aero “Seven” or “Sheene”
- Lewis Leathers “Corsair”
- Vanson “Oxford”

Enjoy the ride!

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
He paid so little that I think the usual cost/benefit arguments over modification don't apply.

For the hundred bucks or so he paid, it's practically like he just paid for some nice horsehide, that can then be reworked by someone who knows what to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot