Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott CAF1: how to tame the flare?

Booneville

New in Town
I have this Schott caf1 that I like, except that it flares at the hem. The front length of the jacket is 25" and the zipper is 21" long, which leaves a 4-inch gap between the end of the zipper and the hem.

pic1
pic2
pic3

I am considering replacing the zipper with a longer (24") 2-way zipper that will leave a 1" gap from its end to the hem. This will draw the leather in and hopefully reduce the flare.

This is the #10 YKK 2-way zipper I am considering.

Do you see any issues with my plan?

Any other recs?

Thanks

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That would be a very bad idea, imo. More relevantly, it won't work. If you got someone to go along with your plan, you would and up with a jacket that bulges at weird places all over because you forced together panels of leather that are not meant to go together.

This design is supposed to flare a bit like this; the original was the same way. In fact it looks identical to the original, just needing break in. Break in will mitigate it, but if you don't like this type of racing shirt look,

I would recommend simply selling it, if you dislike this type of design; your proposal wouldn't change the shape anyway. For an alternative that has a different shape, I would pick up the Vanson Comet.

Booneville

New in Town
That would be a very bad idea, imo. More relevantly, it won't work. If you got someone to go along with your plan, you would and up with a jacket that bulges at weird places all over because you forced together panels of leather that are not meant to go together.

This design is supposed to flare a bit like this; the original was the same way. In fact it looks identical to the original, just needing break in. Break in will mitigate it, but if you don't like this type of racing shirt look,

I would recommend simply selling it, if you dislike this type of design; your proposal wouldn't change the shape anyway. For an alternative that has a different shape, I would pick up the Vanson Comet.
The jacket is raw and stiff so it flares out oddly at the moment. Perhaps I should see how it looks after it's broken in. And then switch to comet if I still don't like it

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Here's the '60s original. Without the flair you wouldn't be able to sit down without getting choked.

IMG_7551.jpeg
IMG_5548.jpeg

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
hmm. It looks good in your pics. Was the flare/fit odd when the jacket was new and stiff?

If you're okay with the broken-in flare of Marc's jacket, then rest assured that yours will get there with wear (to quicken it, you can wear it in the rain or, if you're very impatient like I was, you can wet the outside in the shower then put it on for a walk–however, if it's a very hot day I would warn that it could shrink a bit if you wear it wet in the heat). The leather they use for it now is very similar to the one they used then, just a bit more luxe-feeling now, so it will break in nicely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner