Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott leather jackets

Bill O'Rights

New in Town
I see a lot, and I mean a lot of useful, and valuable, information amoung these threads. The combined knowledge base housed within this forum is, quite frankly, remarkable. Thank you guys, for some very enlightening, and educational, reads.

Now, I get the feeling that there is an afinity toward some leather jacket manufacturers *yawn* Eastman, and a...well, disdain for some others.*cough*Avirex*cough*

What I don't see, is much in the way of pro, or con, regarding Schott jackets. I have a Schott jacket (not, in any way, an A-2, but...close) that I have loved for years. But, then again, I have nothing to base a comparison to. Thoughts on Schott...as a manufacturer?

green papaya

One Too Many
SCHOTT makes very functional clothing, I noticed they make their products "heavy duty" they use the best materials and they're made to last, I wouldnt hesitate to buy a SCHOTT coat / jacket :cheers1:

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Current Schott jackets are very well made for large production-run jackets, though I think Branded and Vanson might have a slight edge (happily all three companies still make their jackets in the USA). Vintage Schott jackets (mid 70's and earlier) are excellent and readily available at bargain prices on eBay.
Schott has a premium line available through the Legendary USA website and some big city stores. The premium jackets are mostly made of front quarter horsehide from vintage 30's-40's-50's patterns (Trojan repro, Beck repro, Buco repro, etc.). I've tried many of these on and they're quite nice. Not Aero-quality but pretty damned good. Using repro vintage zippers would make them so much cooler.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Schott are petty good quality. I have one of their reproduction '30's motorcycle jackets I won on Ebay- so the price was certainly right.
I wouldn't blow a whole lot of cash on one. Some of the Legendary USA website prices seem a little steep to me, for what you're getting.

airfrogusmc

Suspended
As far as Schott jackets are concerned it just depends on what you're looking for. If your looking for an A-2 or G-1 thats close to authentic WWII then maybe Schott might not be your choice. I think Real McCoys New Zealand, Aero, Eastman and even Gibson & Barnes are all better choices.

green papaya

One Too Many
even though Schott leather jackets may not be "exact" duplicates of the original A2 / G1 flyers jacket, they do resemble the commercial leather jackets available to the general public back in the golden era.

People back in the 40's - 50's would have worn similiar jackets that were made commercially

Doh!

One Too Many
I have a black Schott A-2 and love it! It's my winter coat (although here in LA that's not a big issue, but I have worn it in Denver with a sweater underneath and it did just fine).

I don't know how "authentic" it is, but the leather's terrific and it seems really well made.

Havana

One of the Regulars
Not exact historical repos, but nice functional jackets. I have owned two. If you prefer a lighter everyday weight, be aware that these are heavy.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I've owned two Schott Bros jackets in my life. Both I've outgrown, but I still own one of them. The first was an A2 style jacket but had the zipped cargo pocket instead of the flap. Wore like iron and I passed it on to a friend who happend to be much smaller than I. The other was their sheepskin RAF flight jacket model MS85, it looks a lot like this one.
raf40bobmont.jpg

Unfortunately a size 42 doesn't fit me too well any more. This one also wore like iron, and kept me quite warm on my motorcycle when I would ride up to Flagstaff, AZ in the winter. I couldn't ask for a better made jacket. The feature that I loved was the zippers in the sleeves. You could unzip them and peel the sleeve back so you can use your hands without getting the fur messed up if there was a breakdown on the side of the road in cold weather. It was great. If it fit I would still be wearing it as a winter coat.

Cheers!

Dan

green papaya

One Too Many
thats one reason I like to buy my jackets a size bigger than normal, so it will always fit, even if I wore a thick sweater under it or gained some weight.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I had bought it back in 1986 when I was wearing a size 40 in high school. Planned on wearing it for a long time. I didn't think that I would ever get bigger or that I would ever wear an XL anything. But then the bodybuilding bug bit and now I wear a size 48+. It's amazing how the shoulders grow when you push them and feed them.;)

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points