Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott Peacoat and leather jacket fit check

bob78h

New in Town
Picked up a couple of pieces from Schott during the recent sale and wanted to get the fit checked before I commit to keeping them!

For reference I'm 5'9, 155lbs and typically wear a 38S.

740N peacoat, 38:
Sleeves are too long but that should be an easy fix. I feel like the body might also be a little too long, but not that noticeable? The style is definitely boxy but personally I don't think it is too bad, trimmer than the LL Bean peacoat I had previously. I also tried a 36 for a slimmer fit but found it way too tight in the shoulders.

IMG_1314.jpeg
IMG_1315.jpeg

554 Cafe racer:
I think the sleeves could be shortened slightly, but otherwise feel like it fits well. I tried this on in the store and was worried it was too boxy in the body, but interestingly enough the jacket I received seems much slimmer. Maybe Schott changed the cut recently or I got lucky?

IMG_1317.jpeg
IMG_1318.jpeg
IMG_1319.jpeg

Madhouse27

One of the Regulars
I think you really nailed the 554! Talk about a perfect fit. As far as the Peacoat goes, it might be a smidge long and loose for my tastes but I don’t know what the current trend is for this style of jacket. A lot of us do the “custom shrink” thing on here in an effort to tweak a jacket to the perfect fit. It seems like wool would be a good medium for those efforts.

onstar

One of the Regulars
Too big in what sense, length, width, both? What should I be looking for in a proper fit?
lenght and width. Thats the issue with schott's peacoats, they usually fit good in the torso/chest, but slight tight in the pits and biceps

Justhandguns

Practically Family
The pea coat is slightly too big, I am 5'11", 165lb, size 38 is still a bit big for me, but with 36, the sleeves are slightly short for me, so I have to settle with 38.

On the other hand, the 554 looks fine on you.

mumpy

A-List Customer
Great fit on the Cafe Racer! Sleeves will ride up with time as well, looks great!

The pea coat is too big.

bob78h

New in Town
Could the peacoat be salvageable with some reasonable alterations?

I tried a bunch of peacoats this year from different brands (LL Bean, Brooks Brothers, J Crew, SuitSupply) and had basically the same fit issues with all of them. A size that fits my shoulders is way too boxy in the body, and a size down is too tight in the shoulders.

The SuitSupply may have been the best fitting overall, but their cut is super long, almost like an overcoat and it had too much waist suppression (hourglass shape). All of the other brands were so baggy in the midsection. I feel like the Schott is actually the best out of those, maybe because the material is stiff so it holds some shape instead of puffing out.

It's a shame that Sterlingwear is out of business. I'm not sure I want to go down the vintage rabbit hole. So I'm really running out of ideas! Are there any other good brands to try?

Daniel Veit

One of the Regulars
Could the peacoat be salvageable with some reasonable alterations?

I tried a bunch of peacoats this year from different brands (LL Bean, Brooks Brothers, J Crew, SuitSupply) and had basically the same fit issues with all of them. A size that fits my shoulders is way too boxy in the body, and a size down is too tight in the shoulders.

The SuitSupply may have been the best fitting overall, but their cut is super long, almost like an overcoat and it had too much waist suppression (hourglass shape). All of the other brands were so baggy in the midsection. I feel like the Schott is actually the best out of those, maybe because the material is stiff so it holds some shape instead of puffing out.

It's a shame that Sterlingwear is out of business. I'm not sure I want to go down the vintage rabbit hole. So I'm really running out of ideas! Are there any other good brands to try?

Find an issue peacoat and get a good fit.
You got the best advise already. The issue peacoats are cheaper and more fitted than everything you could buy knew. The quality is there too especially when you look for a kersey wool pea

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
You got the best advise already. The issue peacoats are cheaper and more fitted than everything you could buy knew. The quality is there too especially when you look for a kersey wool pea
I'll second this. Read @Peacoat's thread(s) and then find a USN issued kersey wool peacoat. You should be able to find one in the size you need for <=$100. I got my 38 for $50.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner