Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott permanently closes Chicago location

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
It wasn't an insult, I was merely saying that around here, in Sydney, most of the guys I see wearing leather jackets are "older" guys (myself included at 47). Unless they are on a bike of course.

I know "old" is relative, perhaps I should have said I rarely see anyone under 30 wearing a leather jacket.

Interesting. Here in the Netherlands I see lots of young people wearing leather jackets, guys and girls. Mostly the perfecto style black cross zip.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
yeah, the p-leather zara or H&M version of it, at least here in the south of the country.
True, but young people DO wear 'leather' jackets. I guess they'll have to start somewhere, you don't start with a Freewheeler. The first leather jacket I bought was a Hugo Boss cafe racer. Back when I was 17. Still have it btw.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Are you suggesting that mainly sissies wear leather jackets down under..??:p

200.gif

zebedee

One Too Many
View attachment 242461

I am 48. I like myself in black leather. Middle age isn’t all upside, but the fading away of insecurity and the reliance of what others think about your jackets is a big step forward for sure...

Everybody should just wear what he or she likes best. Others will notice if you feel good about yourself, and in my experience will react positive to that.
If I could wear black like that, I would. Fantastic.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I think you should wear what looks good on you. I thought (like you) at first that in my 40s that brown was the way to go. Now I'm 50, and my hair is grey rather than blonde. My wife says I look older than I am...so...WTF...I bought 2 black leather jackets. I like the options. I would get one of the Natural ones too, but I don't think the orange tones look right with my pasty complexion. It was this photo that made me realize you don't have to be young to wear a cool jacket:
View attachment 242385
The older I get, the less I care what others think. Somehow the freedom is very liberating.
Yeah, this dude looks like a boss. I actually think if you're older and wear a good leather jacket (one that doesn't make you look like an ex president, you actually look cooler than a younger guy wearing one.

Fonzie

One Too Many
I don’t think the particular clothing item (be it of leather, denim or a particular type of hat) matters as much as your personal sense of style and confidence. Also keeping fit as you age is quite important but not as much; it’s how you wear it, not what you wear.

An example of an older guy wearing leather jackets with an incredibly cool personal style and exuding confidence is Theodoros from Thedi Leathers.
An Style icon in my books.

I don’t think the particular clothing item (be it of leather, denim or a particular type of hat) matters as much as your personal sense of style and confidence. Also keeping fit as you age is quite important but not as much; it’s how you wear it, not what you wear.

An example of an older guy wearing leather jackets with an incredibly cool personal style and exuding confidence is Theodoros from Thedi Leathers.
An Style icon in my books.
Plus he has the hair of Zeus.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Yeah Theodoros has the whole package - he's fit, makes and wears cool jackets, has the whole look down, and has ridiculously good hair. To me, he's the perfect example of an older guy wearing a leather jacket who looks cooler than younger dudes who wear them.
p1aYF2l.jpg

x2hhRmR.jpg

Christophe from Mister Freedom is another great example.
9htnIM7.jpg

vEZ7eTS.jpg

626VFNX.jpg

Then you have this gentleman, who I follow Instagram from Sweden. Great style.
c89sYxM.jpg

sToqiPw.jpg

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Mr Thedi looks good. Christophe seem to be trying too hard. But maybe it's just the posing.
I always saw the posing as him having fun more than anything else.

He does a lot of wacky posing so I think it's more him goofing around than trying to be super cool.

Mattofumi

New in Town
In what way?
Well, first, yes someone else did reference the “old guy” look earlier and that stereotype gets thrown around here from time to time and i suspect that makes the speaker feel more secure in themselves. Thankfully, old guys generally outgrew defensive insecurities and get a chuckle instead of a saber to rattle.
My “Wow” referenced, and thanks for asking, your last paragraph, not your last questions.
You are not a brand new guy but still a fairly new guy. Maybe you didn’t realize that there may be several members in leather jackets that fit into that age demographic and they could not be farther from the picture your words painted. Some have responded with much more eloquence and respect then i could.
Personally, anything in the mainstream be it cars or even jackets etc., i’ll go the other way. Always have, always will. It’s not an age thing, it’s a in your head thing. So i’ll wear my bitchin jackets, drive my Hummer and walk my walk oblivious to the masses mentality and be just fine.
Ps: concerning age.
To a 20something year old, a 40 yr old IS an old guy already.
To a 60something, a 40 yr old isn’t a kid any more and should have mastered 20something thinking.
Welcome to the lounge, i look forward to seeing your jackets.
B

Yeah mate I take your point. Was definitely not suggesting anyone here would fit into that group. Your jackets are all far too nice for one thing.

I’d own a nice European sports car if I could afford it but I’d hope thanks to this forum I’d have a nice jacket to go with it. I used a stereotype to describe a kind of person and that’s my bad. Sorry I caused offense. I promise it was not intended.

Edited to fix a typo.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
when I was a black jeans wearing guy I wore my black jacket a lot more, since I moved to dark indigo pants, black jackets getting less wear maybe because I rarely wear black shoes so with blue pants and tan shoes, black jackets kind of not really matching the scheme, still works, but denim jacket or brown works better

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Yeah Theodoros has the whole package - he's fit, makes and wears cool jackets, has the whole look down, and has ridiculously good hair
Seriously, his posture and physiognomy are the archetype standard of ancient Greek beauty (what they used to call "kallos"). I can easily imagine statues in any Greek museum looking like him (minus the spectacles).

Last edited:

Harris HTM

One Too Many
True, but young people DO wear 'leather' jackets. I guess they'll have to start somewhere, you don't start with a Freewheeler. The first leather jacket I bought was a Hugo Boss cafe racer. Back when I was 17. Still have it btw.
I think that they do wear "leather" jackets only because it is dictated by the massive trend they follow; recently it was the awful MA-1 clones that were sold at a massive scale at H&M; nowadays it is the p-leather Perfecto look-alikes.
I also started wearing a leather jacket at 17, in the mid 90's. I think I've spent my youth living in it.
215890-60e2bb6d9eaafee8ca1ac81f8173c5ab.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot