Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seabiscuit Costumes by John David Ridge

Enigma1947

Familiar Face
I am a huge fan of the 2003 film, Seabiscuit. I have always been especially impressed with Jeff Bridges’ wardrobe in the film, which I recently discovered was custom-made by Hollywood costume designer John David Ridge. I always suspected that his wardrobe was custom, given that all of his suits and sportcoats have the exact same details (2-button, single-breasted, patch pockets, ¼ inch stitching, etc.). It would be absolutely impossible for even a highly paid costume designer to rustle up so many vintage suits with the exact details and measurements needed to outfit a person. For those who have seen the film and have knowledge of late 30’s and early 40’s suits specifically, what do you think of Bridges’ suits (material, cut, fit, details, etc.)? I have included a photo of one that was sold at auction a few years ago as well as some reference photos of similar ones that were a possible influence. Personally, I absolutely love it and think it is just about perfect!
19818_1276_1_lgcopy.jpg
Custom-made for bridges.
39wardsss46a.jpg
Wards 1939.
37Sears.jpg
Sears 1937.

Edward

Bartender
For a colour I once avoided like the plague ("I don't want to dress like a poo!"), I've really grown to love brown in the last dozen years, especially since I got into vintage. I love that if you go out in a brown suit or jacket and trews it immediately sticks out amid a sea of blues, blacks and greys. I have a real hankering for a Bold Look style brown db three piece, with a nicely pronounced yellow chalkstripe....

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For a colour I once avoided like the plague ...
Me too! Same with white trousers...I thought they are for rich old boring men only. Taste does really change once you get into vintage.

I still didn't see the movie. Jeff Bridges seemed to suffer from cold hands during the filming of the movie...

bridges-01-lg.jpg

200631_171923_3_024.jpg

2197187,VwhFldAt9VSesTlQO1wAKSzAvqPs01Lbqbf5kCRIWjxM1xxB7m5A6C93P67YzOOjlZaKygcQDjJaG9r5Npl0GQ==.jpg

Mario

I'll Lock Up
I haven't seen the film in a long time but remember thinking that they did such a great job collecting all those wonderful vintage suits for Jeff Bridges (and Toby Maguire). There is another period film (Tucker - The Man And His Dream, set mostly in the 40's) in which Jeff Bridges also sports a very nice vintage(?) wardrobe.

For a colour I once avoided like the plague

Me too! Same with white trousers...I thought they are for rich old boring men only. Taste does really change once you get into vintage.

I absolutely prefer earthy tones on me. One of my favorite suits, a late 40's Bold Look SB 2-piece (the pants of which, sadly, haven't survived the sneaky assault of a drunken moron a couple of month ago) is in a nice grayish brown shade. Eartyh colors just work for me. Guess I'm not the blue kind...

I would wear that brown suit from the film without a second thought. Just my kind of color - I especially love the nicely contrasting buttons.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well I was comparing my taste with the 17 year old punk kid I once was. Brown is the new black for me :D
The picture with the hands in the pocket don't show the silhouette and fit very well.

Enigma1947

Familiar Face
There is another period film (Tucker - The Man And His Dream, set mostly in the 40's) in which Jeff Bridges also sports a very nice vintage(?) wardrobe.

Yes, Tucker was a pretty good film. The wardrobe was a little off at times (only a little!) but he still wore some amazing pieces! Remember the burgundy and light grey hollywood jacket when he's in the recording studio!?

I suspect that his wardrobe for that film was all period vintage.

Enigma1947

Familiar Face
Oh yes, I do! It's a pity that the perfectly matched tie isn't visible here.

Ah, yes, the perfectly matched tie! I completely forgot about it! Thanks for the reminder!

Remember, this movie was shot at a time when this quality of vintage was still relatively easy to find. I really wouldn't be surprised if the costumers found a lot of the pieces in goodwills and salvation army stores.

BTW, as a student filmmaker, I had the pleasure of visiting Universal Studios Wardrobe building. I was actually visiting the props department to rent a few pieces for a film I was shooting. When I found out that the wardrobe building was right next door, I figured... why not take a peek? Oh my God, was I both sorry and glad that I did! Of course, I immediately went searching for their 30's/40's suits section. After a few minutes of getting through the racks and racks of other items I finally saw it- a sign that said something like "men's suits- 1930's/1940's". I'd say the rack was about 50 feet long and crammed with suits of every color and size! Unfortunately, the rack was suspended from the ceiling and you could only get close with a ladder. But, below that was another 50 foot rack with nothing but 50's suits! I was like a kid in a candy store without a dime in my pocket!

Another cool thing: on my way out I noticed a rolling rack and saw that it was crammed with what looked like 30's suit. As I got closer, I noticed that it was roped off and had a sign dangling from it that read: "J. Edgar". Cool, huh?

Mario

I'll Lock Up
I never had the (probably somewhat dubious) chance to visit a movie studio wardrobe department but I've been to the Cinetex salesroom - vast amounts of German suits from the 30's to the 50's (and beyond). Of course none of them in my size. They had that gorgeous medium gray German belted-back suit with a beautiful shoulder yoke. As was common with old German belted-backs, the belt was only sewn to the side seams of the jacket. The jacket was my size but the pants... Oh well!

BTW: I just found this photo of the full outfit:

cap019.jpg

And this jacket was sold here at the Lounge a few years ago...

thepastisnotforgotten029.jpg

Last edited:

Enigma1947

Familiar Face
I never had the (probably somewhat dubious) chance to visit a movie studio wardrobe department

The great thing about it is that anyone can go for a visit. All you have to do is call the department and tell them that you are either an independent filmmaker or that you would like to visit them for research purposes. You are able to walk freely among the racks and even pull stuff out for you viewing pleasure. I wish I had time to pull down some of the 30's suits but they have a strict rule that students have to be out by 4pm. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The only thing that bothered me was that some of the stock workers were a bit rough when placing items back on the racks.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
...The only thing that bothered me was that some of the stock workers were a bit rough when placing items back on the racks.

The way Hollywood treats vintage is rather discouraging.

I was recently contacted by a costume designer from a popular television channel about selling/sourcing them some vintage for an upcoming 1940s show. I was enthusiastically on board until she informed me that those pieces would no doubt be worn to death and eventually thrown out. Vintage is an ever-shrinking resource yet here's Hollywood destroying it like it's nothing. The recent movie 'Hugo' is another example of this as , according to the costumer, hundreds of vintage pieces were destroyed during filming.

Last edited:

Enigma1947

Familiar Face
The way Hollywood treats vintage is rather discouraging.

I was recently contacted by a costume designer from a popular television station about selling/sourcing them some vintage for an upcoming 1940s show. I was enthusiastically on board until she informed me that those pieces would no doubt be worn to death and eventually thrown out. Vintage is an ever-shrinking resource yet here's Hollywood destroying it like it's nothing. The recent movie 'Hugo' is another example of this as , according to the costumer, hundreds of vintage pieces were destroyed during filming.

Yes, that is a shame! I recently watched an interview with a cast member of HBO's Boardwalk Empire who said that some of the 1920's dresses were literally shredding during certain scenes. When it comes down to it, it all depends on the costumer and the production value. Some costumers are very careful not to damage the garment in any way, others simply don't care because they are rented. It also depends on whether or not the costumer is passionate about vintage. Regular costumers who just happen to get a gig costuming a period piece are less likely to have an appreciation for what they are using. Plus, wardrobe houses charge BIG fees for any damages! Big budget productions might not care, but these charges will have a MAJOR impact on small productions.

BTW, do you happen to remember the name of the 1940's television production?

Last edited:

BrandonCarlson

New in Town
You would think that major motion picture studios such as Universal, Warner Brothers, and Paramount would take care of their period costumes that are original vintage pieces. They have the money to go through suits and costumes with out much care, but they should realize these vintage pieces aren't going to be easy to find for very much longer. I hope the studios at least are making patterns of vintage costumes so they can still make accurate reproductions.

Qirrel

Practically Family
It is not a problem for the major studios to have a tailor make reproductions. The fact remains that finding vintage is easy, and much cheaper than the alternative. When they eventually run out of vintage, they will have to turn to reproductions, either made by their own costume department, or rented from a major costume maker. A good example is the costumes worn in 19th century productions. Many of the same costumes can be seen in productions by different studios.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner