Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seeking a lighter weight A-2

Havana

One of the Regulars
Gentlemen,
I've been fishing around for a lighter weight A-2. It's fairly warm where I live and most A-2's are just too heavy to wear around here except on the coolest winter days. I have a wonderful Wested Lamb Temple of Doom jacket that is the perfect weight and would like to find a similar weight A-2. I'm interested in a classic fit jacket but it doesn't have to be 100% accurate in the details. Of course, there's a wealth of places to find A-2's online but I need some first hand feedback from people who've owned or at least held some of the jackets being offered by the various makers. Who's got the lightest weight, quality A-2? Thanks in advance for your comments.

shamus

Suspended
not to keep talking up Aero, but they can make it in any leather you want. I had them make my son's A2 in their horsehide for pants. very lightweight and it's horse so it's 100 times tougher than lamb. If price is an object than go with perhaps a goat. It's lighter than horse and it's acurate for the period too. Lots of manufacturers can go goat, and it's 75 times tougher than lambskin.

my 2 cents...

green papaya

One Too Many
COOPER A2...

I have a COOPER A2 and it's pretty lightweight [goatskin]

it's not warm enough for a winter jacket, since it's so thin and only has a thin cotton lining

it would probably be an excellent jacket for mild winter weather

the quality is very durable, Ive been wearing mine since 1991 and it wears like iron, it's also lightweight for a leather jacket, feel much lighter than cow hide.

http://www.nametags4u.com/imgs/product_imgs/jk3104m.gif

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
My Aero Indian goat is pretty light, suitable for 45-65 degrees fahrenheit.

You might want to consider A-1's, which were intended to be summer jackets.

bfrench

Familiar Face
Havana said:
Gentlemen,
I've been fishing around for a lighter weight A-2. It's fairly warm where I live and most A-2's are just too heavy to wear around here except on the coolest winter days. I have a wonderful Wested Lamb Temple of Doom jacket that is the perfect weight and would like to find a similar weight A-2. I'm interested in a classic fit jacket but it doesn't have to be 100% accurate in the details. Of course, there's a wealth of places to find A-2's online but I need some first hand feedback from people who've owned or at least held some of the jackets being offered by the various makers. Who's got the lightest weight, quality A-2? Thanks in advance for your comments.

Hi, Havana,

I have a FS historical veg tanned gaot A-2. The Mark 31.

Very supple leather that weighs no more than a heavy shirt.

Comes in a russet with a silk lining.

Sizing is true to size and maybe a little large. You may need the next smaller size for that trim fit especially if you aren't wearing anything but a shirt underneath.

Bill French

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points