Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SEEKING: High-waisted brown trousers

m000m000

One of the Regulars
BellyTank said:
Get a pair of 1950s/Korean War era USArmy "OD" wool (some are wool/nylon but don't let that put you off) army trousers and DYE them.

Excuse my ignorance, but how would one go about this process? With cotton you can use simple bathing tub/washing machine options, but from what I've understood, re-dying wool clothing is a rather messy/painful task with more uncertain end results (with regards to the wearabilty of the garment) - if there's a comparable easy way I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Cobden

Practically Family
m000m000 said:
Excuse my ignorance, but how would one go about this process? With cotton you can use simple bathing tub/washing machine options, but from what I've understood, re-dying wool clothing is a rather messy/painful task with more uncertain end results (with regards to the wearabilty of the garment) - if there's a comparable easy way I'd be interested in hearing about it.

I've dyed many wool things without any problems, though as everything i've dyed so far has been to blue or blue-black, it has been comparatively easy. If you're doing it I'd recommend either a cold dye, or a warm dye with a pair of trousers 2" too big. To brown you may need to use dye remover first before using the dye depending on the underlying colour - dark to light you'll need dye remover, as you would with completely contrasting colours (i.e. red to blue)

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
m000m000 said:

As Cobden says...

Hot-dyeing "wool", would be looking for trouble.
And yes, the results of dyeing over colour may be somewhat unpredictable.
Dyeing "green" to "brown" may not be SO bad.

B
T

Cobden

Practically Family
BellyTank said:
As Cobden says...

Hot-dyeing "wool", would be looking for trouble.
And yes, the results of dyeing over colour may be somewhat unpredictable.
Dyeing "green" to "brown" may not be SO bad.

B
T

Yes, hot dying isn't recommended, though in the past has been the only option due to the unavailability of decent cold dye in the required colour (and an inability on account of my Daltonism to mix existing colours to form the correct one! lol). I also reduced the temperature from the recommended so it would be more of a hot dye. One of my succesful hot dyes was on, of all things, a modern RAF officers cap, dyed to black (cold dye black having failed - it came out a sort of "blue grey with a sort of black dust on" rather then "black"), and it was suprisingly successful, though if I were doing it again I'd use a larger cap as there was some shrinkage. In all honesty, I think there was a lot more luck then judgement in the success of the operation! I'm afraid I don't have a close up of the hat, so this pic'll have to do.

DSC02965.jpg

Still, it's really more of a major fall back solution, and to be used only in dire circumstances and when you don't mind losing the item.

Green to brown should be okay, if you're going from a lighter green to a darker brown. The worst that would happen would be a sort of greeny-browny khaki yellowish colour.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I have a pair. VS Co. do two versions, one with a more tapered leg than the other (and no cinch back). Mine are the wide leg version, which is less expensive. I bought mine second hand at a reasonable price. I would not pay the new price.

I like their shirts, but their trousers etc. are too expensive for what they are IMO.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I know what you mean, HJ. There's little fancy finishing touches on the Vintage Shirt Co trou's — I think they're done with a serger — as compared with the flat seams (don't know the technicals) of Old Town, their nearest competitor.

But they do some great heavy fabrics, including black barathea, I think. There's often more variety in stock than shown on their site. I've a pair of high-waist cinch-back dark brown cords that just keep on going, navy blue moleskin and heavy off-white linen. A good shape, with a tapered leg and generous crotch/fly cut, which is important on a high-waisted trouser. In that regard, they compete well with Old Town's high-waisters which are a little tight around the... er, [insert inoffensive local term for 'nadgers']. And they're happy to ship worldwide.

I asked the other day and saw that they've got some fine patterned cotton fabric in at the moment, which I think is intended for trousers. Checks and stripes, mainly. Nice.

The VS Co shirts are excellent. I've got several and they're all well made.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
The problem of comparison.

In terms of price, it depends what you are comparing them with. At 85 quid, they compare well with Old Town's. It would be a matter of personal choice, really.

However, you can buy two or three pairs of 'real' vintage trousers for 85 quid if you are patient and know where to look. Which would I rather have, three pairs of real vintage trousers for 85 pounds or one pair of imitation vintage trousers?

No contest, really...just my opinion of course. Buying on-line just doesn't thrill me.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I drop into the shop, rather than buy online. They're very friendly, interested in what they do and keen on providing a good service.

I agree, it's always more gratifying to pick up originals.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Yes, I agree. I like their shop - good, friendly, old fashioned service. We should be glad they are in business and producing the vintage inspired items that they do.

I'm just a skinflint...

yellow braces

New in Town
high waist trousers

I have always liked the look and confort of trousers such as you illustrate. You can get similar to these from 'tails and the unexpected' website.
Can you tell us where you got the long sleeve V neck shirt? It goes very well with the braces.

volatile

A-List Customer
yellow braces said:
I have always liked the look and confort of trousers such as you illustrate. You can get similar to these from 'tails and the unexpected' website.
Can you tell us where you got the long sleeve V neck shirt? It goes very well with the braces.

The person in the picture isn't me...

American Apparel do three-button longsleeve shirts which look a lot like the one in the first image.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I agree. Why pay 80+GBP for a modern imitation when you can get the real thing, made at the time in superior material and often from superior materials for a fraction of the cost?

Methuselah said:
My preference is for old military surplus dress trousers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner