Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seersucker Suit Question

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Neither, the DJ was double breasted which precludes the use of vest or cummerbund.

A waistcoat would defeat the purpose of the white dinner jacket to keep you cool. And a cummerbund would only be used for a SB dinner jacket (and the cummerbund itself came about as a warm weather alternative to a waistcoat).

adouglasmhor

Familiar Face
I am sure the other loungers will pounce on me if I am wrong but I always think of Seersucker as more of an American thing, particularly Southern America. It would certainly be cool in a tropical climate but it would seem to me to be out of place in the tropics. I might consider a nice linen suit or as others have suggested a white dinner jacket.

I have seen a picture of the DoW wearing seersucker in the Bahamas.

DocMustang

One of the Regulars
A waistcoat would defeat the purpose of the white dinner jacket to keep you cool. And a cummerbund would only be used for a SB dinner jacket (and the cummerbund itself came about as a warm weather alternative to a waistcoat).
Double breasted white dinner jackets in a descent fabric are VERY hard to find. I am aware that Magnoli makes one which is available in wool and a wool blend.
Otherwise, I have seen a black backless waistcoat worn with a white dinner jacket. The backless vest with the low V or low U cut should not be too uncomfortable. It looks rather sharp too.
From the Black Tie Guide
2007_Venice-sweetened2.jpg

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Double breasted white dinner jackets in a descent fabric are VERY hard to find. I am aware that Magnoli makes one which is available in wool and a wool blend.
Otherwise, I have seen a black backless waistcoat worn with a white dinner jacket. The backless vest with the low V or low U cut should not be too uncomfortable. It looks rather sharp too.

The low cut black waistcoat is perfectly acceptable with a SB white dinner jacket, though a cummerbund would feel cooler though as there's less fabric to keep you warm.

Either way, with a DB dinner jacket both are completely pointless as they would never be seen.

Machine Ager

Familiar Face
Hi Grey Ghost I had to chime in I just got back from a great cruise. Most folks were informal of course but I did wear my 1950's vintage Ivory Dinner Jacket. Wish I looked as good as Brad.....

MA

Shakennotstrirred-1-1.jpg

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I was wondering if it would be okay to wear a Seersucker suit down in the Bahamas during the month of November? I know that this suit is mainly a summer suit but would love to wear one while I am crusing about the islands.

First of all, I don't profess to be an expert on style...but I am a Southerner and I have worn suits almost every working day for over thirty years.

I personally would not wear seersucker in November....anywhere. At least not anywhere in the Northern Hemisphere. I think that seersucker is a very season-specific fabric. It isn't so much the temperature that dictates when it should be worn....after all, it isn't particularly cooler than any other cotton clothing. I think that the month of the year dictates when to wear seersucker. In my opinion, by mid-September, the seersucker suits and jackets should have been stored away until the next mid-May.

Speaking of mid-May, that seems to be when all of our local attorneys break out their seersucker for the new season. I walked into court this past Monday morning and it looked like someone had declared it "Matlock Day". Almost all of the local defense lawyers were in seersucker. I felt like people in San Juan Capistrano must feel when they spot the first of the swallows...returning for another summer.

AF

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I personally would not wear seersucker in November....anywhere. I think that the month of the year dictates when to wear seersucker.
Yep, some are bound by the calender while others let the temperature dictate dress. I'm with the former when up north and with the latter when down south. During the Season in Florida I'll wear my straw hats, linen (even white) and seersucker.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Yep, some are bound by the calender while others let the temperature dictate dress. I'm with the former when up north and with the latter when down south. During the Season in Florida I'll wear my straw hats, linen (even white) and seersucker.

You've hinted at, but left out, the third factor by which some of us are guided - geography. I nod to historic U.S. Army regulations, which permitted the white uniform only during certain months when in the United States, but year round in tropical regions abroad.

For my part the guidelines are: cool-weather dress anytime at home (Michigan); warm-weather dress anytime in the tropics or sub-tropics; and warm-weather dress May 15 to Labor Day weather permitting.

Generally I’m pretty flexible, but I like to keep the straw hats, whites, and pastels in storage until May 15th, just to give me something to look forward to. Naturally, this year the 15th was about 55 degrees, whereas the 12th and 13th were in the upper 70s. I wore a straw hat Monday, just in the nature of celebration, but have been in felt since.

I couldn’t imagine being bound by just one factor.

-Dave

DocMustang

One of the Regulars
Definately a geographical constraint. Anywhere where one is between the latittudes of 23.5degN and 23.5degS, what would normally be considered "summerwear" is always in season. Similarly, in the American Deep South Easter Sunday often marks the beginning of Summer in terms of clothes. White shoes are ALWAYS memorial day though.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
You've hinted at, but left out, the third factor by which some of us are guided - geography.
A hint!?!? I thought it blatant.......[huh] North and South..... Last I heard, that's geographical....Are we getting remedial here?

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Don't be so quick to take offense, please. I thought it was worth spelling out for later readers and folks less familiar with sartorial tradition. Plus, it helped as I fleshed out my own position. I'm certainly not accusing you of ignorance.

-Dave

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
A seersucker suit would be good way to be a comfortable and natty at the same time on your cruise, and I would highly recommend getting one from Brooks Brothers as it would most likely last you for many years to come. Also consider getting a straw boater to go with it, as they are very comfortable on steamy days. As to wearing it to a Captain’s party…..It is a little too laid back for my personal taste and, I would a recommend a tuxedo, even if you have to rent it for the trip. That being said, nowadays even if you choose to wear the seersucker to the party it is likely that you would be better dressed that some present. Bon Voyage!

DocMustang

One of the Regulars
Not necessarily the Mason-Dixon line. It is more of a combination of climate, local culture and migration patterns. The south does not really start at the Mason dixion line. Kentucky, and Tennessee were border states but are still southern in culture. Also Virginia is divided. Much of Alexandria and even the Tidewater area like Va beach, and Norfolk have had a large shift in population. Alexandria with government workers and Norfolk with military and retirees. The population shift has been so profound in that area that the local accent has all but disappeared. It exists now only in the older generation. As goes accent and language so goes culture. Many of the newcomers brought with them the sartorial conventions of the north. Air conditioning also plays a role, as climate controlled buildings permit northerners to maintain their previous conventions. The "rules" of southern dress had their origins in a time without such luxuries. Those conventions are still remembered by those who were raised by those native to that time. Those who were raised by "transplants" will not hold to such conventions. Eventually those rules die out. Add to that the modern trend of moving away from more formal to where cutoff shorts and sleveless t-shirts are acceptable attire where it would neve have been acceptable in the past.

Geography, native local culture, air conditioning, migration and changes in culture from transplants and chainges in communication as mass media and the internet conspire to erase regional distinctions. Most of us here seek to emulate what the rules "were" rather than what the rules "are". To know what the rules were ask the old folks. The usual dates though are Memorial day in the north, or upper south, May 15 further south, and even Easter in the very deep south or regions known for exceptionally hot and humid weather. As mentioned above occasionally there are distinctions made between different articles of clothing. Hats, shoes, suits, could all have different conventions. However rules always have their origins in practical conventions. Even back in the day you would have "rule breakers" who would break conventions. Such transgressions were usually punished by whispers at church. Usually preceded or followed by the phrase, "bless their heart"

dogrocketp

One of the Regulars
I believe that a white dinner jacket, with a cummerbund would be the most appropriate if you're trying to uphold the old clothing tradition. I also believe that a lay down collar is the only way to go with a white dinner jacket. I wear tuxedos all the time (musician) and see all the fashion faux pas made. My guess is that if you're on fedora lounge, you want to be the epitome of style. Have fun, and look better than most people. If you do that with grace and ease, we'll all be envious. Do post pictures after the fact.

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all the feedback. Looks like I am going with the white dinner jacket. Thinking double breasted like Bogie's. I just love that look. I can already hear "As Time Goes By" being played in the lounge. I will be sure to take pictures.

=GG=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot