Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Serial Fans: Monarch of the Moon

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
thanks for the heads-up

I am a huge fan of serials and never heard of this.
It might not turn out to be my type of movie actually but I have to support any serial homage.

The Wolf

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Hello Wolf,

This looks like it will be similar to The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra... and it will probably do as much business.

So, what are your favourite serials... name your top three. I used to be a fanatic.

PS Do you know about the Serial Squadron?

http://www.serialsquadron.com/

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
It's hard to pick three.

I fear I'm fickle. I change my favorites all the time.
"Daredevils of the Red Circle" and "The Adventures of Captain Marvel" are definately tops but as a Green Hornet fan I have to include those.
I like "The Masked Marvel" even though I think half of the chapters end with the vehicle going over a cliff only to have the next chapter show the hero get out just before the disaster. It is a classic serial staple but once a series is enough. However I liked the idea of the hero's identity being the mystery.
I enjoy most serials although it annoys me when the scene at the end of one chapter is not the one at the beginning of the next.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

P.S. I just received my "classic serials megapack" in the mail. Even though I already owned a couple that were in the set the price couldn't be beat.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Classic serials megapack!?!?! Wassat? It sound sintriguing.

Daredevils is my second favourite and Captain Marvel is my third.... the tip top of the tippy top for me is The Mysterious Doctor Satan.

There are others I like almost as much as the top three, but if I were to be stuck on a desert island with a mysterious hatch that had a dvd player, I'd take the three above.

Cheers.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I'm embarrassed to admit: I have not yet seen The Mysterious Doctor Satan.
:eusa_doh:
The megapack includes The Clutching Hand, Ace Drummond, SOS Coast Guard, Zorro's Fighting Legion, Undersea Kingdom and many more (seven to be exact).
It was put out by the same people who made my "50 Movie Pack Mystery Classics". Treeline Films is the company and you can probably find it at Suncoast or other video retailers for $20.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Mysterious Doctor Satan was originally written as a Superman serial, but when Republic lost the rights to the character it was adaptated. The original script had an army of robot men controlled by an evil genius bent on world domination, while the finished serial has but one robot. Doctor Satan is played by the great Eduardo Cianelli, who played the villain in Gunga Din. It is great fun and availble on DVD from some Ebay sellers, though I can't vouche for the quality. I have an old VHS copy that is also sometimes available on Ebay, though it is now OOP.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Where's the Monarch

I've tried to find everthing I can about "Monarch of the Moon" and I can't find how to see it. Hopefully it is coming out on video soon. Even the movies, heck.

The Wolf

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Don't recall it but I remember they ran Flash Gordon serial in the 50s that I enjoyed a lot.

Flashs_Ship_movie.gif

rocketship.gif

jdjs

Familiar Face
I was lucky growing up; one of our local cable stations used to show an episode from a serial every Friday night at 11:40pm (usually followed by an X-rated movie at 12; the serial always seemed better produced!) I remember Captain America, Green Hornet and a few others. My favorites became Rocketman/King of the Rocketmen and the Mysterious Mr. X. When there is nothing but schlock on the tube, I still pop in the odd serial; recently AC Comics started releasing some that I didn't have (like Panther Girl of the Kongo).

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
UMMMMM !!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Yeah so it's a modern spoof and not a long lost serial from the forties. Kind of obvious. Also looks like a steaming pile of crap. Luckily you and "sci-fi wire" figured it all out. So smart. :eusa_clap So, right back at ya:

UMMMMM !!!!!!! :rolleyes:

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I'm still intrigued

I got an e-mail saying MotM will be released on DVD in October and a limited release theatrically in August.
There will be two versions: B/W and color.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I finally saw it

I enjoyed it. It's goofy but fun. I liked some of the touches like the prevalent smoking or the hero blowing up just about every vehicle he comes in contact with while fighting the baddies.
The DVD also comes with a "vintage" comic book of The Yellowjacket.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy