Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seriously?

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
I used the Roy Rogers hot-water method to reshape a "Stallion by Stetson" hat.

The dye in the purple liner wasn't fast at all, it ran all over the off-white hat, top and bottom.

Seriously? People get rained on. Stuff happens. I am trying to be calm because I now have a hundred-dollar piece of crap to throw away.

Thanks bunches.

Tom

Achturn

New in Town
that's terrible! D:
but like Zetwal asked, is it new? your best bet would definately be to shoot for a refund in that case. I'm not really sure what to do otherwise...
Stain remover?

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Yes, that's ...the terrible state of things, back in 2011...I guess. I once bought a new hat, maybe 2-3 years ago: a $100 (US price) black 6X Justin hat "made by Milano". It's, relatively speaking, a piece of hardcore sugar. When it gets very wet (like in "waterlogged"), I sweat black much like that old admirer in "Death in Venice"... not the kind of reference I take a liking to, believe me! I still wear this hat. I've come to accept it for what it is. A modern hat. Of course there's much better out there. After all, $100 ain't what it used to be. Right? My advice to you? Absorb your loss... (there will be more).

suitedcboy

One Too Many
A $100 retail hat today is made from roadkill sheep wool with sweatband of recycled plastic bottles and a liner dyed with ink from a closed newspaper printing company. Use that as your expectation and your expectations will be met, or if you're lucky, exceeded.

Last edited:

navarre

Vendor
They are going to ask why you did not remove the liner before you shaped it. Which is no excuse for the dye bleeding, but be prepared for that. Any good hat shop should take it back as great customer service. After all, like you said. Rain happens.

Suitedcboy's description of a $100 dollar cowboy hat from a factory is pretty on the money. Which doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to enjoy your hat, but be prepared for some opposition when you try to return it.

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
Hey, it was $80 mail-order on closeout and it never did fit all that well so I consider it a lesson learned. It's replaced by a 5X Stetson (albeit in tan) that is very much higher quality and shaped up quite nicely.

Now I know to be suspect if the liner is other than white.

Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran