Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shackleton's 1908 Arctic expeditionary diet

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Conserving Shackleton's hut.

There is an interesting item in the Autumn edition of the Nation Trust's house magazine. The responsibility for maintaining and conserving both Scott's and Shackleton's huts rests with the Antarctic Heritage Trust, which sometimes uses experts on secondment from other heritage bodies. The author of the article usually works on NT properties in the UK and gives a very interesting insight into his experience in the Antarctic.

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Inuit didn’t fear the cold; they took advantage of it. During the 1950s the Canadian government forced the Inuit into settlements. A family from Arctic Bay told me this fantastic story of their grandfather who refused to go. The family, fearful for his life, took away all of his tools and all of his implements, thinking that would force him into the settlement. But instead, he just slipped out of an igloo on a cold Arctic night, pulled down his caribou and sealskin trousers, and defecated into his hand. As the feces began to freeze, he shaped it into the form of an implement. And when the blade started to take shape, he put a spray of saliva along the leading edge to sharpen it. That’s when the “shite knife” took form. He used it to butcher a dog. Skinned the dog with it. Improvised a sled with the dog’s rib cage, and then, using the skin, he harnessed up an adjacent living dog. He put the knife in his belt and disappeared into the night.

And that is what we call "hardcore"

filfoster

One Too Many
Hair of the Dog

Mojito said:
As long as you don't wind up on the Scott-1912-Polar-Expedition diet!

Or - even worse - the Mawson-1912-Post-Losing-Supplies-and-Lt-Ninnis-down-a-crevasse diet. That's the one where you travel on, killing one dog at a time and eating every scrap you possibly can while slowing going mad from the resulting vitamin A poisoning.

Not that Scott had any, but what wine would you serve?

Story

I'll Lock Up
WELLINGTON, New Zealand – A crate of Scotch whisky that was trapped in Antarctic ice for a century was finally opened Friday — but the heritage dram won't be tasted by whisky lovers because it's being preserved for its historic significance.

Once samples have been extracted and sent to Scottish distiller Whyte and Mackay, which took over Mackinlay's distillery many years ago, the 11 bottles will be returned to their home — under the floorboards of Shackleton's hut at Cape Royds on Ross Island, near Antarctica's McMurdo Sound.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/as_odd_n...DeW5fdG9wX3N0b3JpZXMEc2xrAzEwMC15ZWFyLW9sZA--

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
3 bottles of Mackinlay's whisky Minus 22 degrees Farenheit

The whisky is being prepped for analysis

http://news.discovery.com/history/whisky-shackleton-south-pole-century-110117.html

hilight:
The whisky is believed to have been bottled in Scotland in 1896 or 1897, making it among the oldest in the world.

Richard Paterson, Whyte and Mackay's master blender, said the analysis would be "for the benefit of the whisky industry".

"Never in the history of our industry have we had a century-old bottle of whisky stored in a natural fridge and subjected to some of the harshest conditions on this planet," he said.

"It is an absolute honour to be able to use my experience to analyse this amazing spirit."

For the next six weeks, the whisky will be analysed, nosed, and tasted in full laboratory conditions.

Update on this that I got from Malt Advocate Magazine. The analysis is over and after over a year of messing with the recipe--Mackinlay’s Rare Old Highland whisky aka Shackleton Whiskey is now for sale.ay’s Rare Old Highland whisky

47.3%
"Rarely has a blend caused as much excitement as this one, but with good reason. This is also known as the Shackleton whisky, and is a recreation of the whisky abandoned in the Antarctic by explorer Ernest Shackleton more than 100 years ago. It has lemon, spring blossom, and wafts of smoke on the nose. The taste is full and citrusy, with peat and pepper in attendance. Beautifully balanced and outstanding, but there are just 50,000 bottles, so snap it up. (Dominic Roskrow)"

I think a certain amount of the proceeds go to a fund or some such thing but at around $165 a bottle, I suppose it should. :p
Nonetheless, I would like to own a bottle. [huh]:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner