Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shaping a Panama?

Roadrunner

One of the Regulars
I just got a Diamente from Panama Bob and while I really like it, I would like to see the brim with a bit more snap. Is there a way to shape the brim of a panama similar to how you would with a felt hat?

mineral

One of the Regulars
Roadrunner said:
I just got a Diamente from Panama Bob and while I really like it, I would like to see the brim with a bit more snap. Is there a way to shape the brim of a panama similar to how you would with a felt hat?

From experience, I would say even just wetting the hat with tap water will permit it to be shaped.

univibe88

One Too Many
Panamabob said:
I shy from steam and water, but I do hot iron on the brim (with caution) and mold with my hands.

Bob, please share why you shy away from steam? I am just to scared to take an iron to my hat. You know a LOT more about panama hats than I do, so I'm sure you have good reason for your methods. Thanks.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
PB, what about the iron, dresser and hairspray trick? it worked like a charm! I ironed, shaped and sprayed mine a second time because the first one didn't hold as well as I wanted it to. The only problem was my wife was upset with the hairspray on the iron after the second time I ironed the hat.

Don't be afraid to iron these hats so long as you don't get them too hot. Robert says if you smell straw burning your iron is too hot.

My avatar is pre-ironing. I liked the hat then, but now I like it even better and it holds it shape much better.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Somewhere (probably on a thread here a while back) I saw a web video of a fella' shaping Panamas. I use his technique. I simply use tap water with my fingers to kind of rub it in - not really soaking wet, mind you - to soften the area, and then shape the hat as I use a hair dryer set to low, low heat. I carefully wave the dryer around, but not too close, until the water dries and the shape sets. Works well, and I find it to be a safe way to work with straws.

rpatrick

New in Town
shaping a panama

Just got a new pannama and it has slight up sweep from packaging . What I need to do is get the other side to match and get the front to droop a bit. Problem is I have no idea how to make this happen. Could I get some advice on how to shape it . Thanks

irfan.wayang

Familiar Face
Just got a new pannama and it has slight up sweep from packaging . What I need to do is get the other side to match and get the front to droop a bit. Problem is I have no idea how to make this happen. Could I get some advice on how to shape it . Thanks

I had the same thing with two Panama hats I received. I just put them on a small stand and shoved the front of the brim against the wall (gently) and then lifted the back with a book or something and left it that way overnight. That was enough!

Txmason

Familiar Face
Shaping a Panama Hat

I just received a beautiful Panama Hat from Robert over at www.panamas.biz Does anyone know if a panama hat can be shaped and stiffened in the style of a Fedora? Or are panamas made to stay natural without doing anything to them?

Happy Trails,
Jerry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko