Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shave of the Day

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Dulouz,
Nice, that's the long handled adjustable version as well. Good find!

Monday Morning Shave:
The Body Shop Shave Cream (old formula)
Vermont Country Store Pure Badger Brush
Gillette Black Handled Superadjustable
7 AM blade
Thayer's Alcohol Free Witch Hazel with Aloe
The Body Shop Razor Relief After Shave Balm
Tabac Edt

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Windsor shaving-brush.
Proraso shaving-soap.
A simple, three-piece safety-razor.
Gilette 'Blue' vintage razor-blade.

Someone once said that I shouldn't put too much stock by the blade-sharpener I bought a few months ago.

It's been three months, I'm still using the same blade I started with. Thanks to the sharpener, it's still perfectly sharp and usable.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Good on ya Shangas.
I've never used one of those sharpeners, but if it gets that blade shaving sharp for your face, you can't argue with success. :)

cooncatbob

Practically Family
Stahly head on Improved Ultra Lite handle with Feather.
TOBS Mr Taylor.
Mar24.jpg

Dulouz

Familiar Face
Wednesday:

25194_105208106179172_100000699499389_94010_7467549_n.jpg

Vulfix 247 pure badger
CO Bigelow SC
Gillette Super Adjustable razor (5)
Personna blade (day3)
Aqua Velva Icy Sport AS

Thursday:

25194_105208359512480_100000699499389_94011_515999_n.jpg

Vulfix 247 pure badger
Williams SS
Gillette Super Adjustable razor (5)
Personna blade (day4)
Aqua Velva Icy Sport AS

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've been using my Merkur red "barberpole" safety razor for about a month now, and I don't know why anyone would go back to Trac 3 or Fusion or any of the modern cartridge or disposable razors after switching.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Brian,
I used the shaving cream this morning, and I must say that I'm very impressed!
I thought I'd be off-put by the scent, but it's not cloying or lingering, just a good black cherry aroma with maybe a touch of almond. I used a large almond sized dollop in the bottom of my shaving mug and an Art of Shaving Fine Badger brush and I was able to almost effortlessly create a wonderful lather. I thought I might have over-hydrated it a bit, it was so glossy, but it went on wonderfully and performed like a champ. I used a Gillette Black Handled Superadjustable and performed 4 passes, no irritation, cut cleanly, and with 2 days of stubble to boot.
Well done on this cream creation, and bravo and thanks to you for offering up at no cost to the members of the Lounge.

Chet

New in Town
Mike in Seattle said:
I've been using my Merkur red "barberpole" safety razor for about a month now, and I don't know why anyone would go back to Trac 3 or Fusion or any of the modern cartridge or disposable razors after switching.

I agree completely.

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
rmrdaddy said:
Brian,
I used the shaving cream this morning, and I must say that I'm very impressed!
I thought I'd be off-put by the scent, but it's not cloying or lingering, just a good black cherry aroma with maybe a touch of almond. I used a large almond sized dollop in the bottom of my shaving mug and an Art of Shaving Fine Badger brush and I was able to almost effortlessly create a wonderful lather. I thought I might have over-hydrated it a bit, it was so glossy, but it went on wonderfully and performed like a champ. I used a Gillette Black Handled Superadjustable and performed 4 passes, no irritation, cut cleanly, and with 2 days of stubble to boot.
Well done on this cream creation, and bravo and thanks to you for offering up at no cost to the members of the Lounge.

Great! Thank you so much for the feedback!!!

Zanzibarstar

One of the Regulars
Brian,
I also used your shaving cream yesterday, and found it to be very nice! I am usually a soap shaver, so am not so well versed in using creams. I tried face lathering with a badger brush, and struggled a bit, due to the floppy nature of the badger, and like you said, the thickness of the cream. But on my 2nd pass, it lathered very nicely. It has a very lovely scent, not overpowering. I enjoy almond scented soaps, so it was right up my alley. Next time, I'll try lathering in the bowl, and perhaps using my boar's hair brush, which after all the fuss and price of badger, I tend to turn to more.
Thanks much for the sample!

Dulouz

Familiar Face
Thursday:

25124_113255372041112_100000699499389_120511_1567090_n.jpg

Vulfix 247 pure badger
Brian Solomon Cherry Almond SC (experimental test batch)
Gillette Super Adjustable
Personna (day2)
Witch Hazel
Florida Water

Brian's shaving cream lathered well in a bowl. Better than Bigelow, closer to AOS (those are the only two creams I've tried so far). Cushiony and slick. Took me a few rinses to get it off completely. The smell is good. Very cherry, a little almond. Cherry is not really my thing, but my wife really liked it.

Coupled with the Super Adjustable, I had a nice shave and experience this morning.

**Brian, I am going to try a few different lathering techniques and try to get you some fairly detailed evaluation data when I'm done. Thanks again for the sample (and what a generous amount)!

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Zanzibarstar said:
Brian,
I also used your shaving cream yesterday, and found it to be very nice! I am usually a soap shaver, so am not so well versed in using creams. I tried face lathering with a badger brush, and struggled a bit, due to the floppy nature of the badger, and like you said, the thickness of the cream. But on my 2nd pass, it lathered very nicely. It has a very lovely scent, not overpowering. I enjoy almond scented soaps, so it was right up my alley. Next time, I'll try lathering in the bowl, and perhaps using my boar's hair brush, which after all the fuss and price of badger, I tend to turn to more.
Thanks much for the sample!

And, thank you kind Sir for trying it for me! :D

Oh, yes, try lathering in the bowl as well. I usually face lather with soaps such as Col. Conk or Tabac on drill weekends if I'm in the field. However, I'm usually a bowl lather guy when I'm at the house or I'm on vacation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran