Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shave of the Day

IsaacRN

One of the Regulars
This was yesterdays shave

DSC_0080.jpg

litework

New in Town
Simpsons Emperor 2 in Super loaded with Pre de Provence. Used my old Electric straight and finished with St. Charles Shave Blue Line and Alt Innsbrook.
DSC00534.jpg

Lou

One of the Regulars
Trac II razor and badger brush set (Italian-made set, unknown maker)
ShopRite brand cartridges
VDH Deluxe
Nivea Sensitive AS

As much as I like my Superspeed, I've been wanting to use my Trac II set again. It's a nice change of pace.

pgoat

One Too Many
I am sure this has been covered somewhere on the Lounge before, but just wanted to share - our apartment is in one of several landmarked buildings in the first Garden Apartment community in the US. Our neighbors were showing us before and after photos of their ground-up renovations and we were a bit baffled to learn that a small mountain of rusty double edged razor blades were discovered in between a couple of wall studs when the original plaster was removed in the bathroom.

A quick google later revealed, of course, that this was a typical find when older medicine cabinets were equipped with a razor disposal slot. I immediately ran to our BR (our place in bad need of an overhaul, but I like that it still has many original features); sure enough, there was the slot. I normally try to buy my DE razors in the little metal cases, so they are safer to dispose of (i don't trust those cheap plastic containers). But ever since my discovery I have happily slipped the old blades through the slot and listened as they plunked down to their resting place.

How sanitary this is, Idk...then again it can't be any dirtier than some of the other crud inside the walls of an 80-yr old building!

I was surprised to learn that medicine cabinets were equipped with such slots until the 70s or 80s. Now that DE and straight shaving is on the rise again, maybe we'll see these slots come back?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I saw that video earlier today. In general it's sound advice, but I wouldn't be following it to the letter. Especially not the bit about pulling on the skin when shaving with a cartridge-razor.

Most people don't understand that.

You pull on the skin with a straight-razor. But not with anything else. With cartridges and safties, they've got those bars and grilles that contact the skin and tug on it for you before the blades start cutting. So there's no need to tug. In fact I understand that tugging when the razor's already doing the job for you, leads to ingrown hairs.

But since a straight-razor doesn't have a stretcher-bar, your fingers have to do the tugging for it, but it's not overdoing it, so you won't get ingrown hairs.

camjr

Familiar Face
This morning, it was the Edwin Jagger DE89l with a Gillette Goal (India) blade. Proraso cream. Master Bay Rum after shave splash.

camjr

Familiar Face
Edwin Jagger DE89L with a BlueBird today. EJ Sandalwood soap. Good ol' Aqua Velva Ice Blue after shave splash with Every Man Jack post shave lotion. Head and face.

Cheers!

H.Herdick

Familiar Face
This morning:

9990207qut.jpg

Le Grelot straight razor
Monsavon shavingsoap
Mont St. Michel Eau de Cologne L'originale

Was a great shave.

My hat for this day: brown Borsalino.

DeaconKC

One Too Many