Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shave of the Day

JEEP

Practically Family
Ephraim Tutt said:
Derby seems to be winning the blade race hands down. Is there really that much difference between blades?

And forgive my ignorance on such things - but why do some of these razors have combs?

And I'm thinkin' there's a lot of naked badgers running around.

There is a huge diffrence betwen the diffrent brands of blades. One could most likely get used to shaving with most any blade - but considering the diffrence in skin- and beardtypes some blades are clearly better for some people than others.

The open comb design is an older, and imho. much better, design than the newer closed comb. The closed comb was invented to lower production costs, not because it is better than the open.

The badgers used for brushes comes from the Chinese food industry. Badger is apparently not an uncommon sight on the menu at restaurants in China.

Michaelshane said:
JEEP...your pictures are beautiful..:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Do you use a light-box.?

Thank you very much :)

I do not use a lightbox, I shoot with a Canon 500D fitted with an EF 28-135 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon objective and a Sigma EF+530 DG-ST hotshoe flash (soon to be replaced with a better Canon one), with an omni-bounce. I usually point the flash upwards and use the seat of my toilet as background. The lighting, colours an contrast are then adjusted in PhotoFiltre free.

Regards.

Jakob

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Custom-made Rooney Beehive brush, Heritage hair
Trumper limes shave soap
Edwin Jagger Georgian razor (horn bulbous handle with standard Merkur head) using a Feather blade
For touch up, Slant bar with Astra blade and QED peppermint shave stick
Jason Aloe vera gel as a balm
Cologne: Montale Red Vetyver

GearHead

One of the Regulars
This is my most everyday setup:
Art of Shaving pre-shave oil
Art of Shaving sandlewood soap
English made (forget the brand) silver tip badge brush
Repro razor handle with Mach III blade
Merkur trim razor to clean up around the goatee
Art of Shaving sandlewood balm to finish it off

shave.jpg

JEEP

Practically Family
Wednesday morning:

Brit. Gillette NEW w. Derby Extra (2)
Semogue boar
Speick SS
Speick AS
Thayer's Witch Hazel

Regards.

Jakob

JEEP

Practically Family
SOTD040909.jpg

Friday morning:

Swedish Barberpole Matador Deluxe w. Derby Extra (3)
23 mm. Shavemac silvertip
Tabac SS
Pinaud Clubman AS
Thayer's Witch Hazel

Regards.

Jakob

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
At B&B they seem to be standing in line to damn the Derby blade and are all a flutter for the Feather. Jeep, you are a big fan of the Derby. Do you see the same difference in shaves depending on the razor match up they do?
Tom D.

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
My Shave Today

This has been my routine for about the last two weeks:

Merkur Classic, closed comb
Speick shaving cream
Speick after shave

Savile row 3824

I've been trying the feather blades lately. I'm not sure if it's just me, but I find them to be almost too sharp. I like the regular Gilette razor blades you get from CVS Pharmacy or Walgreens. Or, any no-name razor blade seems to work best for me. :D

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
rmrdaddy said:
Tom,
If you'd like to try some Derbys let me know amigo...

Thanks for the offer Robert. I ordered a bunch from the bay a few days ago and then a variety pack from WCS. I been liking the Merkur in an old Gillette and the Futur but the wilkinsons I run hot and cold. I've even gotten a few good shaves from store brand DE's I have to get a little more systematic in my evaluations.
Tom D.

JEEP

Practically Family
St.Ignatz said:
At B&B they seem to be standing in line to damn the Derby blade and are all a flutter for the Feather. Jeep, you are a big fan of the Derby. Do you see the same difference in shaves depending on the razor match up they do?
Tom D.

Diffrent blades perform diffrently in diffrent razors. For me Derby's performs best in vintage Gillettes and vintage Merkurs - not so good in modern Merkurs.

Regards.

Jakob

JEEP

Practically Family
SOTD060909.jpg

Sunday:

Brit. Gillette Tech w. Derby Extra (1)
Laminated bone handle silvertip
Mitchell's Wool Fat SS
Aqua Velva AS
Thayer's Witch Hazel

Regards.

Jakob

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
SlyGI said:
I've been trying the feather blades lately. I'm not sure if it's just me, but I find them to be almost too sharp.

I find them too sharp for the first shave, then they seem to settle down and last another 5-6 shaves, at least for me.
How each blade feels to each man's face is a topic that interests me. See Ignatzes post above in re the Merkur blades. They feel like a rasp against the skin on my face...go figure.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
St.Ignatz said:
Thanks for the offer Robert. I ordered a bunch from the bay a few days ago and then a variety pack from WCS. I been liking the Merkur in an old Gillette and the Futur but the wilkinsons I run hot and cold. I've even gotten a few good shaves from store brand DE's I have to get a little more systematic in my evaluations.
Tom D.

Anytime Tom.

Hey, what are you doing shaving? Isn't it still Phillies season? ;)

Chiliarches

A-List Customer
This is off topic, but related. I felt it would be appreciated here.

Thus, if you teach a poor young man to shave himself, and keep his razor in order, you may contribute more to the happiness of his life than in giving him a thousand guineas. The money may be soon spent, the regret only remaining of having foolishly consumed it; but in the other case, he escapes the frequent vexation of waiting for barbers, and of their sometimes dirty fingers, offensive breaths, and dull razors; he shaves when most convenient to him, and enjoys daily the pleasure of its being done with a good instrument.
--The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin

JEEP

Practically Family
SOTD110909.jpg

Friday morning:

Gillette "Slim" Adjustable w. Derby Extra (2)
Bob's Razor Works custom bolivian rosewood finest badger
Cella SS
Ivy Club (Old) Spice AS
Thayer's Witch Hazel

Regards.

Jakob

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Got some Derby's yesterday. Loaded up three different razors and found no significant difference in the Gillette's but the Futur was a huge difference. Cleaner, smoother & less irritation.
One Earth pre
TOBS Sandlewood sc
Witch Hazel
e shave green tea ASC
The Colonel's Badger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24