Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shave of the Day

JEEP

Practically Family
SOTD280909.jpg

Monday morning:

Brit. Gillette Tech w. Derby Extra (1)
23 mm. Shavemac silvertip
Williams Mug Soap in vintage Old Spice mug
Aqua Velva AS
Thayer's Witch Hazel

Regards.

Jakob

matei

One Too Many
My turn to chime in on this thread...

I've been using a Sensor for the past 12 years. Prior to that I was using my father's old Gillette safety razor, which belonged to his father as well... It dated back to the '50s, and did a fine job.

I stopped using it when I went to basic training, as I was afraid that I'd lose it (and that I'd not have the time to luxuriate over a hot morning shave). I ended up using the aforementioned Excel, but I was never really thrilled with it.

My wife finally had enough, and yesterday she got me a Merkur safety razor. She also got me a proper badger brush to replace my "balding" boar-bristle brush.

Wow... what a difference both the Merkur and badger bristle brush make. I don't have to put a lot of pressure on the Merkur, I just let it do it's job, and I have a much smoother shave with less effort than I would have ever received with the Excel.

The badger bristle is totally different, it soaks up the lather and evenly distributes it. I already use a pre-shave oil and shaving soap from Neal's Yard, and I can finally appreciate how good they are thanks to the brush.

The Merkur itself is a lovely piece of kit, it is weighty and solidly constructed out of steel, with a nice Art Deco pattern on the handle.

I had tried my hand ages ago at a straight razor, however I had neither the time nor space to do it properly. However, I would highly recommend the Merkur safety razor to anyone looking to get a better shave - with a classic twist.

JEEP

Practically Family
Welcome back to the world of real shaving matei :)

SOTD300909.jpg

Wednesday morning:

Merkur Progress w. Derby Extra (2)
Bob's Razor Works custom Bolivian rosweood finest badger
Tabac SS
Tabac AS
Thayer's Witch Hazel

Regards.

Jakob

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
matei said:
My turn to chime in on this thread...

I've been using a Sensor for the past 12 years. Prior to that I was using my father's old Gillette safety razor, which belonged to his father as well... It dated back to the '50s, and did a fine job.

I stopped using it when I went to basic training, as I was afraid that I'd lose it (and that I'd not have the time to luxuriate over a hot morning shave). I ended up using the aforementioned Excel, but I was never really thrilled with it.

My wife finally had enough, and yesterday she got me a Merkur safety razor. She also got me a proper badger brush to replace my "balding" boar-bristle brush.

Wow... what a difference both the Merkur and badger bristle brush make. I don't have to put a lot of pressure on the Merkur, I just let it do it's job, and I have a much smoother shave with less effort than I would have ever received with the Excel.

The badger bristle is totally different, it soaks up the lather and evenly distributes it. I already use a pre-shave oil and shaving soap from Neal's Yard, and I can finally appreciate how good they are thanks to the brush.

The Merkur itself is a lovely piece of kit, it is weighty and solidly constructed out of steel, with a nice Art Deco pattern on the handle.

I had tried my hand ages ago at a straight razor, however I had neither the time nor space to do it properly. However, I would highly recommend the Merkur safety razor to anyone looking to get a better shave - with a classic twist.

Welcome back to the "proper" shaving fold Matei!

Are you a member over at www.badgerandblade.com as well?

Sounds like you are ripe for some "Acquistion Disorders" to kick in!

tortswon

Practically Family
Wednesday morning shave

Gillette Diplomat
Rooney 3/1
Castle Forbes pre
Castle Forbes lime cream
Thayer's with hazel
Castle Forbes lime after shave

Tangy start to a tough day in Court. Three passes and clean up. Best, Sam

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
tortswon said:
Gillette Diplomat
Rooney 3/1
Castle Forbes pre
Castle Forbes lime cream
Thayer's with hazel
Castle Forbes lime after shave

Tangy start to a tough day in Court. Three passes and clean up. Best, Sam

Bravo Sam! :eusa_clap

JEEP

Practically Family
SOTD021009.jpg

Friday morning:

Bull Mastiff w. Derby Extra (3)
Bone handle silvertip
Valobra SS
Pitralon Classsic AS
Thayer's Witch Hazel

Regards.

Jakob

JEEP

Practically Family
SOTD071009.jpg

Wednesday morning:

40s Gillette SuperSpeed w. Derby Extra (4)
B&B Essential
Tabac SS
Pinaud Clubman AS
Thayer's Witch Hazel

Regards.

Jakob

Swamp_Fox

New in Town
My last shave was with a new-to-me Ever-Ready 1912 with a Treet blade, cheapo boar brush and Williams Mug soap followed by witch hazel and Brut aftershave.

It may not be as fancy as some people's setup, but it's a lot better than a Mach 3 and green goo! Goes to show you can still enjoy the finer things in life on a limited budget.

Pictured is my Ever-Ready 1912, my 1956 vintage Super Speed and my Gillette Gold Tech of unknown vintage. The milk glass shaving mug is also vintage. In total, everything has set me back perhaps $30. :D Some day I'd like to invest in an expensive badger brush and exotic soaps or creams, but my budget setup is serving me well enough for now.

Francis_Marion

If anybody's curious, I found the Ever-Ready 1912 to be surprisingly pleasant. For the face, I found it to be superior to my DEs but on the throat area it was a little awkward. I got a few nicks, but I've had worse first shaves with unfamiliar DEs, so I'm pretty happy! It's particularly great for precise trimming of the sideburns and around my mustache and goatee.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Shave du jour:

Gillette Superadjustable
Astra Platinum blade, day 2
Art of Shaving Fine Badger Brush
Crabtree & Evelyn Nomad Shave Cream
Thayer's Witch Hazel alcohol free with aloe
Crabtree & Evelyn Nomad After Shave Balm
Crabtree & Evelyn Nomad Cologne

JEEP

Practically Family
SOTD091009.jpg

Friday morning:

Brit. Gillette NEW w. Derby Extra (5)
Kent BK4 silvertip
Mitchells Wool Fat
Proraso AS
Thayer's Witch Hazel

Regards.

Jakob

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Robert, Astra eh? I wasn't very happy with it in my razor's. Different face different feel. I'd better start writing my preferred blade/razor combination's down. I'll be packing them up for the winter soon.
Tom D.

quickerNu

New in Town
Ahhh, I see more bleed over from another board I frequent! I am liking it over here.

No time for pics this morning, but I opened a brand new to me (30 year old) box of Surrey soap to go with my fresh Lord blade in my '58 (if I remember correctly) Fat Boy.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Nice setup there OddSteve!
I see a Muhle Pinsel brush back there, no? What hair is in it?
I've heard good things about that Pitralon, but I've never heard of that Brauk Mann shaving cream. Would you mind telling us a little about it?

OddSteve

Familiar Face
Thanks, mrdaddy;)

That is indeed a Muehle Brush, but just drugstore quality for about ten euros. I'm actually quite comfortable with these inexpense brushes, but I'm eager to buy a better one in the near future.

Braukmann is a manufacturer of herbal cosmetics. Here is their website:
http://www.hildegard-braukmann.de/

I usually prefer soaps, but I like their shaving cream a lot - very thick lather and it smells like a forest in the rain :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24