Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sherlock Holmes 2009 Fedora

MKB

New in Town
Looking forward to the film as a solid action/adventure movie. That being said, I really don't like Downey's choice of hat. I wasn't expecting to see a deerstalker, but you can count me as one who has "a lot of silly emotion" surrounding it. Basil rules.

munchausen

One of the Regulars
theinterchange said:
If that's true, the film won points in my book. Not that I advocate the use of drugs in any form :eek: [bad] ... just that I figured drug use was too un politically correct for such a film.

Randy

Thought I saw a clip with him taking something, but I may have been mistaken. I hope he has done it, because I want to see someone go past the sanitised Holmes. Kind of like Ellery Queen.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
MKB said:
Looking forward to the film as a solid action/adventure movie. That being said, I really don't like Downey's choice of hat. I wasn't expecting to see a deerstalker, but you can count me as one who has "a lot of silly emotion" surrounding it. Basil rules.

Yeah, hear you. But a deerstalker would never work in a serious Holmes film today. I was expecting a bowler, but I see why they did what they did. It's easier to get the rumpled look they were aiming for with a soft fedora than other choices.

As far as "sanitizing Holmes" (I like that turn of phrase), they will have to clean him up a little, just because of the direction they've gone. But there's still room to include those un-PC elements, and I hope they at least hint at them.

Zendragon

New in Town
Some interesting new info... which I am not sure if they are on the mark with their response.

From Lock and Co:

"Dear Keith
Sorry, I told you the wrong hat.
It is actually our Dark Grey Homburg but the brim has been "played around with"!
The film actually premiered in London last night and one of my colleague tells me, that he wore the hat to the premiere.
Regards"
http://www.lockhatters.co.uk/Fedoras__Homburg___Pork_Pie-Homburg-P58.aspx

Now I am just not seeing it as that, but here is a shot from the premiere in London.

59148301.jpg

On a side note, from what I am hearing, regarding the film, they went through the various books and picked out some of the less known elements about Holmes, including him being a brawler/martial artist, having a bit of an odd personality, his use of drugs, etc... So I would imagine that we will get a Holmes that has never been seen before.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Zendragon said:
Some interesting new info... which I am not sure if they are on the mark with their response.

From Lock and Co:

"Dear Keith
It is actually our Dark Grey Homburg but the brim has been "played around with"!
The film actually premiered in London last night and one of my colleague tells me, that he wore the hat to the premiere.
Regards"
http://www.lockhatters.co.uk/Fedoras__Homburg___Pork_Pie-Homburg-P58.aspx

Now I am just not seeing it as that, but here is a shot from the premiere in London.

59148301.jpg

Could well be a Homburg with the bound brim curl flattened. That gives it the appearance of a relatively wide bound edge brim and the slightly awkward brim flanging seen in the photo...

Zendragon

New in Town
And I suppose it could also be a really dark grey too. Well it is most likely that if I were to do it I would have one replicated vs buying their Homburg.

Nice hat though

Torpedo

One Too Many
I certainly like better Watson's look than Holmes's as portrayed in that film. I guess they went for some kind of bohemian image for Holmes, or so it seems to me. Not my cup of tea. And I really dislike the hat.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Zendragon said:
And I suppose it could also be a really dark grey too. Well it is most likely that if I were to do it I would have one replicated vs buying their Homburg.

Nice hat though
The question is really do you want a hat that looks EXACTLY like the one in the movie? Or do you like the general look--a Black Fedora with a moderately wide bound edge brim and ribbon of that height and similar crown dimensions. If its not matching the movie.. you could find a better(opinion) looking example for a reasonable price in a vintage hat. If you chose to abuse a Homburg, Black ones are plentiful in the vintage hat market and generally inexpensive--probably better than what is currently offered except perhaps a Custom Hat.

Zendragon

New in Town
To answer your question... I am exploring the option of putting together a costume based off the film. If I were to do it, then I would be looking for something damn close to the film look.

rlk said:
The question is really do you want a hat that looks EXACTLY like the one in the movie? Or do you like the general look--a Black Fedora with a moderately wide bound edge brim and ribbon of that height and similar crown dimensions. If its not matching the movie.. you could find a better(opinion) looking example for a reasonable price in a vintage hat. If you chose to abuse a Homburg, Black ones are plentiful in the vintage hat market and generally inexpensive--probably better than what is currently offered except perhaps a Custom Hat.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Zendragon said:
To answer your question... I am exploring the option of putting together a costume based off the film. If I were to do it, then I would be looking for something damn close to the film look.
Since you are matching the movie costume the Homburg with the ironed-out brim is probably the way to go. I don't know your hat size or if you prefer a new hat over a vintage one. His hat has somewhat modern proportions so a current Homburg could be modified by a hatter(or yourself). If "used" is not a problem, Homburgs could be easily found in thrift or resale shops or ebay. A "vintage" hat would get you a better quality than all but the most custom hatter and get some of the "age" appropriate for the costume. There are a few I might refer you to but you can't receive a PM at the moment.

Zendragon

New in Town
Oh ok thanks, that helps a lot.

I don't think I would mind a vintage hat (long as it is clean lol).

No PMs for me? Hmmm, well you can drop me an e-mail if you like at zendrag0n@hotmail.com

Much appreciated.

rlk said:
Since you are matching the movie costume the Homburg with the ironed-out brim is probably the way to go. I don't know your hat size or if you prefer a new hat over a vintage one. His hat has somewhat modern proportions so a current Homburg could be modified by a hatter(or yourself). If "used" is not a problem, Homburgs could be easily found in thrift or resale shops or ebay. A "vintage" hat would get you a better quality than all but the most custom hatter and get some of the "age" appropriate for the costume. There are a few I might refer you to but you can't receive a PM at the moment.

billyspew

One Too Many
Zendragon said:

From Lock and Co:

"Dear Keith

That was my initial thought when I first saw the picture you posted at the beginning of the thread.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
rlk said:

Good idea. As cheap as vintage Homburgs are, it might be fun to try to find an appropriate one and replicate Downey's hat. But because of the variety o Homburg brim styles, I'd first carefully examine the Christy's one (in it's original state).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot