Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shinki info?

DiamondDave

Vendor
HPA,

Yes for shoe and saddle leather that is absolutely correct, however for garment leather, which is what I was talking about, chrome tanning has been far more prevalent for almost 100 years.

Mrbuco700

New in Town
this is wat it looks like after couple years use of shinki horsehide (from old real mccoy pic).. Japanese call it the "tea color effect"

majormajor

One Too Many
Nice one, thanks. I like the ruddy tones and wrinkling. Very distinctive.
Looks very nice, but in relative terms, is it that much better than most other HH?

My last Eastman Warhorse hide looked very similar after a similar length of time.

I think perhaps, like many things that develop "legendary" status, the reality is a little more mundane

Mundane would be looking for nits to pick. Jeez H guys, get what you like and enjoy it. How would one determine "best"? We certainly can rely upon a core group of tanners to put out consistently good hides. That's good enough for me. The rest is personal preference. Now, more coffee so I can smile.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I know what you mean. I may have to add more jackets made from different hides to my collection, just for comparison and to pursue this line of investigation scientifically, of course... :D

majormajor

One Too Many
I'm afraid I don't subscribe to the "if it's Japanese, it must be the best" mantra. It's very good, yes. But so is other stuff.

If you talk denim, these days, to a "denimhead", they will glibly tell you that their denim HAS to be Japanese. No one else could possibly make it like they do....

And those same folks are now beginning to talk in the same terms about Japanese HH. No Shinki - not buying.

Which is remarkably narrowminded (IMHO).

Here's a pic of my last ELC Monarch in Warhorse hide. This was taken just before I sold it - I had the jacket from new - it was around 18months old.

The hide is, I understand, Italian - and looks as good as any Shinki.

The shrunken look is down to HWT - not hocus-pocus in the tannery:D;)

olda2detail.jpg

OK, some citations on the "if it's not Shinki, I'm not buying".
Just because people are talking it up - it's new to many of us - doesn't mean anyone is snubbing other makers. I see no evidence of that here or elsewhere. I have but one, and I love it, but I also love other jackets I own...seems to be a made up conspiracy...

majormajor

One Too Many
OK, some citations on the "if it's not Shinki, I'm not buying".
Just because people are talking it up - it's new to many of us - doesn't mean anyone is snubbing other makers. I see no evidence of that here or elsewhere. I have but one, and I love it, but I also love other jackets I own...seems to be a made up conspiracy...

Hi Butte

I'll send you the link - "if Aero made it in Shinki, I'd buy it" - a real quote:D;)

Hi ButteI'll send you the link - "if Aero made it in Shinki, I'd buy it" - a real quote:D;)
OK, that's a preference in a hide. I've heard the same for Horween and others over the years. What about all the LOCHCARRON TARTAN? Surely people can have a preference for what they like? None of the jackets I've owned are anything like the Shinki. None of my jackets are like the FQHH Aero either. I'd buy certain moto jackets if I could get them in the same hide. Your'e exaggerating... Boo.

majormajor

One Too Many
OK, that's a preference in a hide. I've heard the same for Horween and others over the years. What about all the LOCHCARRON TARTAN? Surely people can have a preference for what they like? None of the jackets I've owned are anything like the Shinki. None of my jackets are like the FQHH Aero either. I'd buy certain moto jackets if I could get them in the same hide. Your'e exaggerating... Boo.

PMed you.........;)

bretron

Call Me a Cab
I think Aero would sell more if they offered Shinki ;)

As much as I like the heavy as lead FQHH they source from Horween, nothing I've handled to date seems to compare in terms of grain, density and overall character to Shinki. I know for sure I'd choose it if offered. That said, I am really looking forward to my battle armor Dustbowl :lol:

majormajor

One Too Many
I think Aero would sell more if they offered Shinki ;)

As much as I like the heavy as lead FQHH they source from Horween, nothing I've handled to date seems to compare in terms of grain, density and overall character to Shinki. I know for sure I'd choose it if offered. That said, I am really looking forward to my battle armor Dustbowl :lol:

Hi Breton

The thing about almost all the new range of jackets from Aero - including the Dustbowl - is that they are NOT made from the really heavy FQHH that is a feature of the previous range.

So unless you have specifically asked for "battle armour", you should get mid weight hide. And if you shrink it (trade secret: that's what Shinki do....;)) it will look pretty much the same as Shinki does in two years......:D;)

majormajor

One Too Many
That's a swatch I've been beating up for over a year now.

We could round in circles here, my friend - but here is a poor pic (it is the middle of the night here!) of the back of my Aeromarine. This is just three weeks from brand new.

Believe me, in a year, it will look better than that hide you have there ;)

backdetailq.jpg

If you have ordered your Dustbowl in the mid-weight FQHH, I think you may be pleasantly surprised:D;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou