Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Short Waitcoats

joesruddock

New in Town
I can find many places that do high waisted trousers, but I'm really struggling to find a supplier of the high waisted/short 10's 20's 30's styled waistcoats.... Does anyone know where I can find any in good quality?

I have had a search around on the forum but couldn't find anything. New to here so apologies if I'm being blind... or stupid.

Joe

lordwinters

Familiar Face
I can find many places that do high waisted trousers, but I'm really struggling to find a supplier of the high waisted/short 10's 20's 30's styled waistcoats.... Does anyone know where I can find any in good quality?

I have had a search around on the forum but couldn't find anything. New to here so apologies if I'm being blind... or stupid.

Joe

Apart from vintage garments I have had little luck finding short waistcoats, but I suppose companies like luxire can do a reproduction, but that would involve sending an existing garment for them to copy. Finding vintage ones is not impossible however, ebay and etsy are always good sources, not to speak of the local goodwill shops.

Mathematicus

A-List Customer
Actually it's not so common to find an orphaned waistcoat if you're going to pair it with true high rise trousers. I own a very beautiful suit from early 30s which lacks of waistcoat and I had no luck finding one shorter than 20'' at the back, when the best length would be 18''-19''. Few inches can make the difference bewteen the pants being too constricting (because the long waistcoat catches part of the deep seat and front, not to mention the pockets) and having a perfectly comfortable outfit to wear with proud and confidence.

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
Ironically enough, for several years JCrew's waistcoat pattern was vintage-era short. Makes no sense given that their trousers were low rise, but I picked up several during the past couple years that pair nicely with vintage trousers. They redesigned them this year though, keeping the four-pocket vintage styling, but making them longer, much to my chagrin.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Ironically enough, for several years JCrew's waistcoat pattern was vintage-era short. Makes no sense given that their trousers were low rise, but I picked up several during the past couple years that pair nicely with vintage trousers. They redesigned them this year though, keeping the four-pocket vintage styling, but making them longer, much to my chagrin.

Do you have any idea how much longer the new waistcoats from JCrew are? Thank you.

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
Do you have any idea how much longer the new waistcoats from JCrew are? Thank you.

Just did a quick comparison. They're longer by about an inch or so. But the pattern is different in other ways. They're boxier, too roomy in the chest, and the points aren't as pronounced.

Mathematicus

A-List Customer
It seems that nobody manifactures a waistcoat properly cut for high waisted trousers: even this claimed period reproduction seems to me awfully long (if 22 inches is the back length) to wear even with late 40s medium-high rise.
But I don't have any of them, so I possibly can be wrong.

Claudio

Vendor
Still not sure as how you can wear a mixed matched waistcoat. It should either match (same fabric) the jacket, the trousers or both in my books, with some excpetions (contrast checks, more casual ones). Surely this has always been the case in a gentlmans wardrobe, no? If you are going to wear it with say a vintage coat or trousers, the difference in shade, 'hand'/feel, texture, weight ... would make it unsuitable IMO. I would rather get the matching right and have the length off an inch or so, than have the opposite. We should not foget the actual 'taste/style' gentlemen had back then (they gad loads), and would never mix a displaced waistcoat with a lovely suit. Not really getting it and I may be looking at it from a worng point of view?

That said, will PM you Joe re your quest

Mathematicus

A-List Customer
I'm resuming this because the the lack of such clothing pieces is so sad that and I wonder if there could be some arrangement. You all know the Bay is full of 70s waistcoats, most of them featuring medium-long body and very deep neck opening. I have a similar one made from the same cloth front and back, and I wear it sometimes (not so happily) as odd waistcoat, even if way too long and stuffy. My question is: could be the waistcoat risen up by taking in the shoulders seams?
I think this may work except the fact we should completely recut the collar area removing the excess fabric. Do you think this is a deserving way to proceed and have you ever tried?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails