Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should TCM Air More Foreign Films?

Should TCM air more classic foreign films?

• Total voters

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Let me jump in here~ my all-time favorite channel is TCM. It used to be AMC, in the days of genial Bob Dorian, before it became whatever it is now. The hours I have spent watching films from the Golden Era, thanks to TCM, are difficult to number. Prior to that, it was haunting video stores for VHS copies of old stuff, even driving all the way down to Hollywood to Eddie Brandt's Saturday Matinee because they had the most amazing collection of 30s westerns and serials (on tape, back then).

With the advent of the dvr I have spent even more time enjoying classic films. I say classic in the sense of old, not of long lasting content or influence; a Bowery Boys movie can be trying, but because it is a product of its era, I will watch it.

Having said all that, my opinion, and that's all it is, is that TCM originally tapped into an audience of American viewers, or at least English-speaking viewers, with their programming of American classic films. To program foreign films, even if from the Golden Age, is not right. Start up TFM just for that audience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy